The Ugly, The Ugly & The Ugly Vs BUF

raidr4life

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Really points to the mismanagement of the staff when there isn't a backup plan for a failing OC. He was young, inexperienced and they didn't have anyone to help him really. Poorly done.

It's time for an overhaul. JDR is Jeff Fisher. A frustrating guy who will get you to .500 with good talent. Overachieve a couple seasons. But overall leave you wanting way WAY more. 

For me... they need to go with an offensive HC to pair with Carr. 

Couldn't agree more. Will continue in the other thread

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Still early, but McVey certainly has the makings of a special coach. Oh and guess who the DC is WADE PHILLIPS who a lot of wanted the Raiders to consider here. Perfect combo of young smart offensive coach and grounded, consistent veteran DC. It's working and they are an exciting team. McVey took Goff and Gurley to new levels in a short amount of time.

Yeah but no one cares about them still

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

I wanted either JDR or Shurmur at the time. I definitely think Shurmur deserves another shot somewhere. 

Sure, just not here lol

8 hours ago, riceman80 said:

And like ir or not, we're stuck with Downing for the rest of the year. We've got no experienced coaches who's been an OC or playcaller behind him. Sad we're gonna just have to sit and watch this train wreck

It might be worse than that, if Reggie and Jack decide to give him one more year to see if he can turn things around. On the other side, I think KNJ is done after this season. The writing was on the wall when they brought Pagano in -- and if they fired Musgrave after last season, I don't see McKenzie having any problem replacing KNJ with Pagano at the end of this one.

“It’s simple math,” said Carr. “Cover two with three receivers. Where everyone’s dropping deep, there’s four, five, six, seven guys for three and at the end of the day you roll out, you can throw it up or you can take a better option underneath, one where we’ve seen guys have been able to break tackles and things like that, maybe keep it alive, those kind of things. Obviously we lost by more than one score. And again, this is another one of those things, we’re correcting everything. And I take it all and I try and ‘yes, sir, whatever you want’, but at the same time I’m gonna continue to play the game how I think is best for our team.”

DC's reasoning for not throwing the ball into the endzone on the last play of the first half.

On 10/31/2017 at 12:27 PM, riceman80 said:

And like ir or not, we're stuck with Downing for the rest of the year. We've got no experienced coaches who's been an OC or playcaller behind him. Sad we're gonna just have to sit and watch this train wreck

Are we going to pretend the offense wasn't simple and predictable last year too? The difference was players were playing better, all around. We play straight up on both sides of the ball and there aren't a lot of frills to get guys open schematically.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Are we going to pretend the offense wasn't simple and predictable last year too? The difference was players were playing better, all around. We play straight up on both sides of the ball and there aren't a lot of frills to get guys open schematically.

The offense was not this simple no. Musgrave had some Chip Kelly elements in there. Was good and getting the ball to his playmakers and could occasionally dial up the perfect play to beat a defense. He actually used mis direction and play action. The offense this season is clearly moving slower and with less urgency. Too much 5 wide and 

That said, the players deserve some of the blame. The Oline has regressed significantly. Carr is being impatient for whatever reason and the running game has not done anything of note.

But look..Musgrave was conservative and vanilla himself. He wasn't good but Downing has clearly been a massive downgrade. Blame it on arrogance or inexperience.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The offense was not this simple no. Musgrave had some Chip Kelly elements in there. Was good and getting the ball to his playmakers and could occasionally dial up the perfect play to beat a defense. He actually used mis direction and play action. The offense this season is clearly moving slower and with less urgency. Too much 5 wide and 

That said, the players deserve some of the blame. The Oline has regressed significantly. Carr is being impatient for whatever reason and the running game has not done anything of note.

But look..Musgrave was conservative and vanilla himself. He wasn't good but Downing has clearly been a massive downgrade. Blame it on arrogance or inexperience.

This.

The Raiders believed their own press they thought that they could just waltz on into the divisional round of the playoffs. Instead of putting their foot on the gas they let up which is in concert with what we are seeing on the field. This team has no killer instinct, not since the Jets game, the Redskins shell shocked all of them. Carr's back there throwing passes 2 seconds after hiking the ball because he's having flashbacks of the Nam.

His comment about not throwing the ball into coverage at the end of the game was insane. It's that kind of thinking that separates him from the Rodgers of the world. I mean does he really think that his Running Back is going to break a tackle and evade 3-6 other defenders? Its the same negative result but instead you give your WRs who's very job title is to receive the ball a chance to make a play.  Why the hell are they even running those plays in that situation? Where is the intermediate route? I honestly need to see more guts out of Carr. Id rather he throw a meaningless INT than a short pass, because at the least the INT shows that he's got the guts to try to score. One's passive the other is aggressive.

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

His comment about not throwing the ball into coverage at the end of the game was insane. It's that kind of thinking that separates him from the Rodgers of the world. I mean does he really think that his Running Back is going to break a tackle and evade 3-6 other defenders? Its the same negative result but instead you give your WRs who's very job title is to receive the ball a chance to make a play.  Why the hell are they even running those plays in that situation? Where is the intermediate route? I honestly need to see more guts out of Carr. Id rather he throw a meaningless INT than a short pass, because at the least the INT shows that he's got the guts to try to score. One's passive the other is aggressive.

The more i read his comment, the more it starts to come off as arrogance from him. He's basically saying "F what these coaches think I'm going to think what I think is best". So basically we will never see a hail mary play from DC ever in his career because it's not good math to him....All the talk of him taking more control and ownership of the offense this year has maybe gone to his head. He has proven this year that he isn't yet ready to be a QB who calls his own plays, and be fully empowered in the offense. 

Which is probably another negative aspect when it comes to Downing. He's too buddy buddy with all these players. Doesn't strike me as a guy who will get after you when a player makes a mistake or goes rouge like Carr did on that play. We need a coach who coaches and gets his players to execute, not a guy who tries to be buddy buddy with everyone while chest bumping after one score.

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The Raiders were among the bottom in the league in play action use in 2016 according to Pro Football Outsiders. You're misremembering an offense which didn't often put together complete games and made plays at the right times to pull out close games. It's mostly a matter of performance, not play-calling, which has resulted in regression this season. In fact, in a lot of ways the Raiders play calling in 2017 has been more diverse given the addition of Jared Cook.

That said, I don't think the offensive system isn't a problem. Like under Musgrave, the offense relies on Carr making great throws into tight windows and the receivers making great adjustments and catches. The offense is similar in a lot of ways to Green Bays except the Raiders have a worse quarterback and worse weapons. I would love to see the Raiders adopt more modern systems like those employed by Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.

Archived