QB Prospect - Malik Willis

Just Want A Title

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah I'm not sure there is one. I'm with you. Hard Pass basically on everyone and Willis(imo) is the only dude maybe capable of changing my mind.

Neal is a huge man. He might have a better/longer career at LG. I'd easily draft Neal if my favorite defensive players aren't available.

Also, it's early but proofs in play. What are we going to do with Sewell. He looks really bad quite frankly. Do we as fans have to hope now he works out at RT, LG? It's looking pretty shaky. The pile of evidence/moves this staff is starting to string together might even look... bad you could say at this moment. Not fireable or anything just... they're looking like more bad/non-impact moves vs real moves being made so far.

I also think next year Lions won't have a guy like Tim Boyle as the back up. Lions will go out an search for a guy looking for a shot who can/could come in and take the job from Goff at the start of mid-point of the year.

Willis had a stinker this weekend, losing to a bad team when they were 34.5 point favorites.  Level of competition is always going to be an issue and having duds like that against bad teams, drops him IMO.  He now has 6 INTs to 3 TDs the last two weeks with a 57% completion percentage.  Has to do better than that to move up draft boards.  Matt Corral is the only QB I see moving into top 3 pick range tbh.  He is the highest rated PFF passer this year and has looked good in Kiffin's system. He is small too though, so unless they are Kyler, good, I get nervous looking that direction in the top 5.  I agree we will likely find a QB in the draft to compete as a backup.  Would be nice to find a Prescott/Wilson in the mid rounds or at least have the chance at that. 

I agree with Sewell, its getting scary just because we have all seen it before over and over.  I know he had time off and know he is super young but he was a generational OT talent so to see him struggle like this has me nervous.  I think he would make a better OG right now but I really hope he figures it out at tackle.  We need it as a franchise and to build trust with our talent evaluating staff. 

I agree with DHLF that its nice seeing the young guys progressing.  ARSB has been improving.  Alim looks to be a solid DT and keeps getting better.  Levi seems like he should be getting more snaps and seems to make plays when he is in there. Barnes has looked better so hopefully this staff gets some things right, we just have a lot of holes to fill.  

This was the first game that really had me shook.  Like this was some SOL type effort and is what I was concerned about.  I really hope we can influx some talent in the offseason and give DC and this staff some decent talent to work with.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Willis had a stinker this weekend, losing to a bad team when they were 34.5 point favorites.  Level of competition is always going to be an issue and having duds like that against bad teams, drops him IMO.  He now has 6 INTs to 3 TDs the last two weeks with a 57% completion percentage.  Has to do better than that to move up draft boards.  Matt Corral is the only QB I see moving into top 3 pick range tbh.  He is the highest rated PFF passer this year and has looked good in Kiffin's system. He is small too though, so unless they are Kyler, good, I get nervous looking that direction in the top 5.  I agree we will likely find a QB in the draft to compete as a backup.  Would be nice to find a Prescott/Wilson in the mid rounds or at least have the chance at that. 

I agree with Sewell, its getting scary just because we have all seen it before over and over.  I know he had time off and know he is super young but he was a generational OT talent so to see him struggle like this has me nervous.  I think he would make a better OG right now but I really hope he figures it out at tackle.  We need it as a franchise and to build trust with our talent evaluating staff. 

I agree with DHLF that its nice seeing the young guys progressing.  ARSB has been improving.  Alim looks to be a solid DT and keeps getting better.  Levi seems like he should be getting more snaps and seems to make plays when he is in there. Barnes has looked better so hopefully this staff gets some things right, we just have a lot of holes to fill.  

This was the first game that really had me shook.  Like this was some SOL type effort and is what I was concerned about.  I really hope we can influx some talent in the offseason and give DC and this staff some decent talent to work with.  

I think Sewell will be just fine. He actually played better this week than he has for the past few games. 

He took an entire year off, had the entire pre season at RT then got thrown into the fire with Deckers injury.

Learning skills is all about repetition. We know Sewell has the physical aspects he just needs the repetition to improve. 

I think he needs this year to learn and we will see an entirely more effective player next season or perhaps in the last third of this season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I think Sewell will be just fine. He actually played better this week than he has for the past few games. 

He took an entire year off, had the entire pre season at RT then got thrown into the fire with Deckers injury.

Learning skills is all about repetition. We know Sewell has the physical aspects he just needs the repetition to improve. 

I think he needs this year to learn and we will see an entirely more effective player next season or perhaps in the last third of this season.

The year off is an ok excuse but guys like Slater are playing like a pro bowl LT right away after missing a year.  I get that repetition matters, but he has been pretty awful.  I know he has a lot to learn, and I am confident he will get there, but much less confident than I was 6 weeks ago.  

On 10/18/2021 at 10:28 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah Willis has had a couple back to back rough games throwing the ball but the team also had some injuries at WR. I think 3 or 4 guys so... Idk, I can see things being off. What I actually hate more than the INT's are the sacks his given up through the year. It's just bad... 

Agree about the influx... I mean I'd of signed SOMEONE this offseason but they signed place-holders and wanted to see what they have. Which is a lot of nothing, so hopefully they spend, move guys, and draft really well. Next year will be more telling than this year. I think we all expected a disaster. It's just tough to take/watch.

Edited by SimbaWho

11 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah Willis has had a couple back to back rough games but the teams also had some injuries at WR. I think 3 or 4 guys so... Idk, I can see things being off. What I actually hate more than the INT's are the 7 sacks in the same time-frame. That's just bad... 

Agree about the influx... I mean I'd of signed SOMEONE this offseason but they signed place-holders and wanted to see what they have. Which is a lot of nothing, so hopefully they spend, move guys, and draft really well. Next year will be more telling than this year. I think we all expected a disaster. It's just tough to take/watch.

Having multiple picks helps, I also think you are somewhat limited by contracts signed by the previous regime.  I think not signing someone better at WR was a big mistake but also I am ok not throwing out huge contracts when we weren't ready to compete anyways.  As I said, earlier, the draft picks are getting better so it would help if they keep improving and are considered legit starters by seasons end.  It also will help if Walker keeps playing well but I am not holding my breath.  

4 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

If you're buying Willis it's because you believe in his tools, not necessarily his production. If you draft him early you're thinking that he's Josh Allen (small school, not impressive stats, but insane tools that can be developed). 

Agreed.  But I want to see better decision making when drafting a 6' QB.  I want better production.  The smaller guys that go in the draft have production because its harder to make their tools translate to the NFL where everyone is bigger.  Trey Lance went a whole year without an INT and was bigger. Willis is going to have to really impress at the combine and pro days to get consideration for a top 5 pick.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed.  But I want to see better decision making when drafting a 6' QB.  I want better production.  The smaller guys that go in the draft have production because its harder to make their tools translate to the NFL where everyone is bigger.  Trey Lance went a whole year without an INT and was bigger. Willis is going to have to really impress at the combine and pro days to get consideration for a top 5 pick.  

I mean his rush stats should be taken into account a little too not just his throwing. 

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Last week people wanted him to be the LT now they’re concerned about his play.

Time will solve this and Sewell will be just fine.

Sewell October 9, 2000

Rashawn Slater - March 26, 1999

what is that 18 months difference? He is so young. I also read an article some where saying they had to game plan against him more as they can’t run right at him. The different looks and moves he’s never seen before. I’m super confident he’s going to figure this out and be legit.