Expiring Contracts

Nextyearfordaboyz

Thought this would be an interesting conversation, since it’s the bye week.

Going into the season, the only player on an expiring contract that people were really worried about was Michael Gallup. 6 weeks in, and there are a lot of guys on the last year of their deal, playing well. Some of the expiring contracts:

Michael Gallup - 
Randy Gregory - 
Dalton Schultz - 
Cedrick Wilson - 
Connor Williams - 
Jayron Kearse -
Damontae Kazee -
Leighton Vander Esch -
Keanu Neal -
Dorance Armstrong -
Malik Hooker -
Noah Brown -
Brent Urban -
Carlos Watkins -

Who should we sign? Who would you want, but only if they’re cheap? Who should we let walk?

Just now, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

My thoughts:

Michael Gallup - Probably gone, but interested if Gallup finds FA market to be soft.
Randy Gregory - He has to be around for 2022. Would like to just sign him, but you at least have to give him the franchise tag.
Dalton Schultz - would really like to sign him to a deal. Dak has really learned to rely on him, and he does so many things well. Would be open to franchise tagging him if Gregory signed a long-term deal.
Cedrick Wilson - an interesting one. Would definitely love to have him back as WR3, but I think the FA market will make him too expensive.
Connor Williams - byeeee
Jayron Kearse - Retain, probably 2 year deal. Really developed into a nice player, core special teamer, and unlikely to have a really strong market.
Damontae Kazee - Will have to see how the season plays out. Has had both high and low moments. If Quinn sticks around, I bet he comes back on another short term deal.
Leighton Vander Esch - byeeeee
Keanu Neal - would have him back as LB3 if I could re-up his contract at the same price.
Dorance Armstrong - byeeee
Malik Hooker - Seems to have fallen a bit out of favor with Quinn. Didn’t play much against the Patriots. I think he’s likely to be gone.
Noah Brown - should be cheap. Glue guy. Good chemistry with Dak. Won’t be surprised if they retain him.
Brent Urban - he’s not been a major factor in the rotation. Probably gone.
Carlos Watkins - actually got the most snaps on any defensive linemen against the Patriots. Wouldn’t count out the possibility of bringing him back.

35 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Michael Gallup - {GONE} Please sign a massive deal with the Lions to be their WR1 (or come back cheap).
Randy Gregory - {KEEP} You may never leave. Sign him. We have been loyal, now reward him.
Dalton Schultz - {Toss-Up} Torn here. I like Schultz. If he wants to stay on a small deal, great. Offer him what Jarwin has and move Jarwin.
Cedrick Wilson - {Toss-Up} Cheap deal or draft a replacement. Hell draft a replacement anyways. 
Connor Williams - {KEEP} I'd actually keep. Don't think he will command much as he loves Dallas. Focus on the C spot. 
Jayron Kearse - {KEEP} Keep as well. Nice surprise.
Damontae Kazee - {GONE} No need.
Leighton Vander Esch - {GONE} Thank you for your service, Wolf Hunter, go join Jaylon in Green Bay.
Keanu Neal - {KEEP} Keep on the Cheap.
Dorance Armstrong - {GONE} Not heartbroken if he signs elsewhere. 
Malik Hooker -{GONE} No need. 
Noah Brown - {Toss-Up} Like Wilson, cheap deal or a replacement.
Brent Urban - {KEEP} I would re-sign him. When I look it seems he gets doubled a decent amount.
Carlos Watkins - {GONE} Meh. 

42 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Thought this would be an interesting conversation, since it’s the bye week.

Going into the season, the only player on an expiring contract that people were really worried about was Michael Gallup. 6 weeks in, and there are a lot of guys on the last year of their deal, playing well. Some of the expiring contracts:

Michael Gallup - 
Randy Gregory - 
Dalton Schultz - 
Cedrick Wilson - 
Connor Williams - 
Jayron Kearse -
Damontae Kazee -
Leighton Vander Esch -
Keanu Neal -
Dorance Armstrong -
Malik Hooker -
Noah Brown -
Brent Urban -
Carlos Watkins -

Who should we sign? Who would you want, but only if they’re cheap? Who should we let walk?

Must re-sign
Randy Gregory
Dalton Schultz (even if it means we send Jarwin packing)

Bring back if cheap
Cedrick Wilson
Jayron Kearse
Damontae Kazee
Keanu Neal
Malik Hooker 
Noah Brown
Brent Urban 

Let walk
Michael Gallup
Connor Williams 
Leighton Vander Esch
Dorance Armstrong 
Carlos Watkins

I realize it's highly unlikely we'd elect to bring back all three of Kearse, Kazee & Hooker...but if we can at least bring back two out of the three I'd be happy. 

Michael Gallup - Think he likely sees a bigger payday from someone else. 
Randy Gregory - Retained. Finally appearers to have head in right place. I would hope after all the faith Dallas showed him, he would return the favor 
Dalton Schultz - Must re-sign. He’s going to see a sizable pay increase.
Cedrick Wilson - Does a little bit of everything and always seems to come through. I think he’s a pretty big priority tbh.
Connor Williams - Gone. He’ll get a bigger payday elsewhere.
Jayron Kearse - Retain. Has been pretty solid player.
Damontae Kazee - Gone. 
Leighton Vander Esch - Will season how season plays out, but I think he could be back.
Keanu Neal - If it’s on the cheap side.
Dorance Armstrong - Gone
Malik Hooker - Gone
Noah Brown - Retain. Not on same level as Wilson, but another guy who does quite well in his role.
Brent Urban - Gone. I forget he’s even on the roster.
Carlos Watkins - Retain. Has developed into a decent rotation guy.

Edited by WizardHawk

Okay, now I am interested. @Nextyearfordaboyz - let me know if you think this should be a separate thread. 

Connor Williams.

I have seen several of you want to move on from him, seemingly no matter what. And...I don't understand. Does that mean you are comfortable with Badazz as starting center or are you willing you replace two starters at OL and knowing that Smith has a long injury history? 

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/connor-williams/46216 

I think, given we have Smith and Martin, we are so spoiled we forget just how bad OL play league-wide is. 

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Okay, now I am interested. @Nextyearfordaboyz - let me know if you think this should be a separate thread. 

Connor Williams.

I have seen several of you want to move on from him, seemingly no matter what. And...I don't understand. Does that mean you are comfortable with Badazz as starting center or are you willing you replace two starters at OL and knowing that Smith has a long injury history? 

I think, given we have Smith and Martin, we are so spoiled we forget just how bad OL play league-wide is. 

I am firmly in the Connor-Williams-is-pretty-solid camp. But…

You only have so many resources to go around. You have a backup guard in McGovern that has also proven very capable, and will be a much cheaper option. You are right. We are spoiled. Which is why CW is going to get a big free agent contract. Other teams need him much more than we do.

And, lastly, this has nothing to do with Biadasz. The OL has been pretty good this year. You run it back with the same group, but McGovern instead of Williams, and you’ll be just fine. If you find an upgrade over Biadasz, then great! But it isn’t a 100% requirement.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I am firmly in the Connor-Williams-is-pretty-solid camp. But…

You only have so many resources to go around. You have a backup guard in McGovern that has also proven very capable, and will be a much cheaper option. You are right. We are spoiled. Which is why CW is going to get a big free agent contract. Other teams need him much more than we do.

And, lastly, this has nothing to do with Biadasz. The OL has been pretty good this year. You run it back with the same group, but McGovern instead of Williams, and you’ll be just fine. If you find an upgrade over Biadasz, then great! But it isn’t a 100% requirement.

This is where I'm at. I like Williams and don't think he is as awful as others do, but he's likely going to command a decent contract in free agency. We have McGovern who has shown promise when asked to start. I'd let Williams walk and slide McGovern in as the starter. 

I wouldn't hesitate on upgrading Biadasz if the opportunity comes along, but I also don't think he's as terrible as some think. He's improved the last few weeks, so maybe things are coming together for him. 

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

If the argument is Williams will be offered a HUGE or even DECENT SIZED deal in Free Agency and ergo isn't worth it, I can understand.

If the argument is we don't even bother approaching him with a team-friendly deal now, then I don't understand. 

Define “team-friendly”, I guess.

Kevin Zietler got a 3-year contract at $7.5M/year this off-season.

That seems like the low end of what Williams will be able to get. And I’m not willing to even remotely approach that number with McGovern in the wings.

He just seems like a clear goner.

Some comps for some of the players many want to keep:

Randy Gregory - Matt Judon got $13.6M/y, seems like a reasonable range for RG94. I feel like both parties could agree on something in that range, given the history.

Dalton Schultz - Hunter Henry and Jonny Smith both got $12.5m/y from New England. Austin Hooper got $10m/y a year earlier. I think that’s your range for Schultz, a little too rich?

Connor Williams - tier2 guards have been going for $8-11m/y 

Michael Gallup and Cedric Wilson - Robby Anderson got $10m/y. Will Fuller $10.6. Corey Davis $12.5. Curtis Samuel $11.5. I think Gallup and Wilson are going to be out of the price range.

Some general thoughts:

- Looks like the end of the line for the 2018 draft class, more or less. Williams, Gallup, Wilson should all draw significant FA interest and earn contracts well beyond what would be sensible for Dallas. LVE, Armstrong, just guys the new defensive regime may wish to wash their hands of, though I suppose either could return on an extremely cheap deal. The interesting one here is Schultz. I can't really see us going beyond, say, 5 years, $40M-ish for him, and he'll get much bigger offers than that at this rate- could be a strong candidate for the franchise tag, should we come to an agreement with Gregory prior to the start of FA. What a development, by the way, for Dalton Schultz of all people to be our top priority of this group, given what this draft class looked like 2 or 3 years ago.

- Speaking of Gregory, whew, what a start RG is off to this year. One would hope that with all he's been through, how we've stuck with him, his level of comfort here, etc., that they'd be able to work out something mutually beneficial (say 3 or 4 years at $13-14M per)... but honestly, if he keeps playing at this level for the rest of the year and throughout the playoffs, he could end up demanding top 5 DE money ("I'm the best pass rusher on this team, we just won the Super Bowl, and you're offering me 70% of what you gave D-Law 3 years ago?") I may be dreaming here, but should that scenario unfold, I think you eat the $20M, tag him, make him do it again, and risk losing Schultz et al. He's that good.

- Safety rotation is going to be interesting going forward. Kazee, Kearse, and Hooker have all played fairly well, imo, but particularly relative to their paygrades (they're each making less than $1M this season). That said, there's not enough snaps to go around between those three and Wilson most weeks- obviously we play plenty of 3 safety looks, and I'm sure there's packages where you could get all 4 on the field, but there should be an odd man out in most situations. That looks like Hooker as of now, but a lot can change between now and the end of the year. Basically, I'm sure these dudes see the writing on the wall for them, career wise, and we will see their best efforts.

- If I had to put money on one guy re-signing, it would probably be Noah Brown.

Edited by matt79511