2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wait, a Belichick assistant is a control freak and difficult to work with? I can’t believe that for one second. 

It is absolutely incredible what Belichick does in NE. He seems to have a staff *full* of these guys, and yet you never hear a peep about disharmony amongst anyone. Incredible. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wait, a Belichick assistant is a control freak and difficult to work with? I can’t believe that for one second. 

To be fair, even if it's true, in MIA he's probably the smartest guy in the room by a fair margin (as opposed to the guys who only *think* they're the smartest guy in the room).     It would be a justifiable reason to pass - but not interviewing seems like a missed opportunity, if for no other reason than to cast the widest net from coaches who've actually had present-day success (with that roster, his record is pretty damn impressive the last 2 years).

To be clear, I'm fine with not going that direction, but he's had success, so I don't view him the same way as the usual failed BB coaches (he and Vrabel are the exceptions that prove the rule to avoid in general).

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Kellen Moore also invited for an interview. We are looking to raid the Cowboys it seems. 

No thanks to Moore. Maybe 5 years from now. But, again very, very limited experience, only coached one team that is loaded with talent and plays in a crap division. He and Leftwich are very similar candidates and I’m opposed to both. Again, I think down the road a bit both could be good HCs in this league but right now, with what this team needs, I don’t like either for our situation. 

Troy is reporting we’ve reached out to interview Nathaniel Hackett as well. 

I like this interview, broad experience in different systems under different HCs and while LaFleur and Rodgers handle the offense in Green Bay, he a) knows Aaron which could help lure him here and b) has proven he can work well with a strong personality like soon to be back to back MVP. 

I like this one. 

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It is absolutely incredible what Belichick does in NE. He seems to have a staff *full* of these guys, and yet you never hear a peep about disharmony amongst anyone. Incredible. 

It defies logic. He’s the best coach I’ve ever seen in any sport. But how his assistants keep getting hired only to completely crash and burn also defies all logic. 

56 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No thanks to Moore. Maybe 5 years from now. But, again very, very limited experience, only coached one team that is loaded with talent and plays in a crap division. He and Leftwich are very similar candidates and I’m opposed to both. Again, I think down the road a bit both could be good HCs in this league but right now, with what this team needs, I don’t like either for our situation. 

What i'll say about Moore is that he has always been regarded as cerebral and played under Chris Peterson who had been a great college head coach. Offensive head coaches get snatched up fast and early. McVay for example was an offensive coordinator for only 3 years with the Redskins under Jay Gruden. Zac Taylor made the jump from QB coach under McVay to head coach. I think Moore is capable of being a great head coach. 

Unfortunately what would likely sway all of us one way or another is the interviews. We have limited information about all these candidates to make assumptions based off of. I'm glad Paton is casting a wide net, interviewing all the big name candidates, and I hope there are a few more out of the blue ones as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

What i'll say about Moore is that he has always been regarded as cerebral and played under Chris Peterson who had been a great college head coach. Offensive head coaches get snatched up fast and early. McVay for example was an offensive coordinator for only 3 years with the Redskins under Jay Gruden. Zac Taylor made the jump from QB coach under McVay to head coach. I think Moore is capable of being a great head coach. 

Unfortunately what would likely sway all of us one way or another is the interviews. We have limited information about all these candidates to make assumptions based off of. I'm glad Paton is casting a wide net, interviewing all the big name candidates, and I hope there are a few more out of the blue ones as well. 

I don’t disagree. I like casting a wide net and I’m glad George is doing so.

If we were in total rebuild mode, a Moore/Leftwich candidate I would be on board with, just like I think Taylor was good hire for Cincy and Staley for San Diego. I don’t think we’re full rebuild mode, get an established HC who either is (Hackett) or brings in a star OC (e.g. Quinn + Kubiak/McDaniel) and hopefully draws Rodgers or Wilson here.