2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

28 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

What? Sorry man, this makes no sense.

I think @germ-x is having a go at Paton for doing very little to address the QB position last off-season and hence giving Fangio very limited opportunity to make the playoffs and save his job.

Its a valid criticism, but really who was there last year?

Matthew Stafford is the only option I can think of, but would he really put this roster in a place to compete? I don’t see him as a Rodgers/Wilson level guy, but more as a top 10-12 QB who can compete if you surround him with an elite roster (as the Rams have done)

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t really much better than Bridgewater.

We could have drafted Justin Fields or Mac Jones but Paton wasn’t high on either of them. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I think @germ-x is having a go at Paton for doing very little to address the QB position last off-season and hence giving Fangio very limited opportunity to make the playoffs and save his job.

Its a valid criticism, but really who was there last year?

Matthew Stafford is the only option I can think of, but would he really put this roster in a place to compete? I don’t see him as a Rodgers/Wilson level guy, but more as a top 10-12 QB who can compete if you surround him with an elite roster (as the Rams have done)

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t really much better than Bridgewater.

We could have drafted Justin Fields or Mac Jones but Paton wasn’t high on either of them. 

Fields is horrible and Mac Jones is a perfect fit for McDaniels Scheme. Stop talking last year no one was a sure Franchise QB. 

Everyone's talking about A-Rod or Wilson but it's likely neither of them will come. In this case the choice of the head coach will be more than important. As Paton said, the question "Can Drew Lock be your QB with good efficiency?" will be asked. All options are open at this stage. With all due respect to those who continually criticize him (I would name no one but they will recognize each other) there is still an option with a rookie contract at 2m.
But we are far from being at QB away to be a champ.

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Leave the (boring) Lock vs Teddy stuff in the QB thread, please.

Like most, I'm impressed with the wide list.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that the things we hammered Vic for (in game decisions, accountability, leadership), are things we can't see from the outside.

So, judging a guy based off the statistical performance of his unit(s) is asinine. We just fired a guy who killed it in that regard.

So, no throwing yourselves off a bridge when Jerod Mayo gets hired 😂

i have one rule when it comes to evaluating coaches as a guy that knows nothing.....no patriots assistants 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, French Fan said:

Fields is horrible and Mac Jones is a perfect fit for McDaniels Scheme. Stop talking last year no one was a sure Franchise QB. 

Everyone's talking about A-Rod or Wilson but it's likely neither of them will come. In this case the choice of the head coach will be more than important. As Paton said, the question "Can Drew Lock be your QB with good efficiency?" will be asked. All options are open at this stage. With all due respect to those who continually criticize him (I would name no one but they will recognize each other) there is still an option with a rookie contract at 2m.
But we are far from being at QB away to be a champ.

Couple of things.  Fields is far from horrible.  He was thrown into the worst situation of all qb wise.  The bears were a dumpster fire.  I remember after the Steeler game all the talking heads were raving about him and saying if he had any weapons to look out.  This was being said on all the football shows not just one or two.  I know im partial to him but lets give him some more time.  Having said all that it really doesn't matter does it?  He is not a bronco!

Second, I can see us sticking with Drew this coming year.  Don't like it but I agree that Rogers and Wilson are a stretch to be here and that's putting it mildly.  So what's a different option?  Cousins, Garappolo, an upcoming draft pick which I think would mean that pick would be paired with a Lock or a Teddy 2.0.  One thing I know is that this thread will only grow as will my anticipation of it all unfolding.  GO BRONCOS!!!!  

PS just noticed this was the coaching thread...........sorry 

Edited by anewdawn
additional comment

If Rodgers and Wilson both end up staying at their current teams (which I think, unfortunately, is becoming likely) then I probably would make a play for Garoppolo.

The 49ers have invested a huge amount of resources in Trey Lance. I don’t see any way he isn’t their starter in 2022, so Garoppolo is the one viable starting QB that we can say pretty confidently that he will be available.

He’s also very affordable at $26m and has a year left on his contract, so he could very easily be paired with a rookie draft pick with upside.

Make no mistake, Jimmy G is not a Rodgers/Wilson type or even a Stafford, but he’s a middle of the road starting QB who is considerably better than Bridgewater and Lock.

In terms of draft pick compensation, I think we could get Jimmy G for either the Rams 2nd round pick or our own 3rd. 

Doug Pederson gets an interview, it’s a very crowded field at this point 

1. Patriots LB coach Jerod Mayo
  2. Cowboys DC Dan Quinn
  3. Bills DC Leslie Frazier
  4. Cowboys OC Kellen Moore
  5. Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett
  6. Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy
  7. Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon
  8. Rams OC Kevin O’Connell
  9. Lions DC Aaron Glenn
  10. Packers QB Luke Getsy 
  11. Former Eagles HC Doug Pederson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If Rodgers and Wilson both end up staying at their current teams (which I think, unfortunately, is becoming likely) then I probably would make a play for Garoppolo.

The 49ers have invested a huge amount of resources in Trey Lance. I don’t see any way he isn’t their starter in 2022, so Garoppolo is the one viable starting QB that we can say pretty confidently that he will be available.

He’s also very affordable at $26m and has a year left on his contract, so he could very easily be paired with a rookie draft pick with upside.

Make no mistake, Jimmy G is not a Rodgers/Wilson type or even a Stafford, but he’s a middle of the road starting QB who is considerably better than Bridgewater and Lock.

In terms of draft pick compensation, I think we could get Jimmy G for either the Rams 2nd round pick or our own 3rd. 

I don't mind Jimmy G at all save for the fact of his injury history and I can see what you posted playing out as it buys us time for the draft pick and/ or the flexibility to skip drafting a qb this year and if Jimmy G fails big we are in on the 23 qb draft class in a must be way.  I wonder how our coaching prospects field questions on our qb - "like your the gm, get me a good one and we are good to go"  lol  

10 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

2. Cowboys DC Dan Quinn
  9. Lions DC Aaron Glenn

how often do dudes turn down interviews? guessing not everyone will be interested. cool to see us put in so many requests.

25 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

2. Cowboys DC Dan Quinn
  9. Lions DC Aaron Glenn

5 offensive backgrounded coaches / 5 defensive for those who are counting. 

My rankings in order of personal preference: 

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn
Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett
Rams OC Kevin O’Connell
Bills DC Leslie Frazier
Cowboys OC Kellen Moore
Packers QB Luke Getsy 
Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon
Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy
Lions DC Aaron Glenn
Former Eagles HC Doug Pederson
Patriots LB coach Jerod Mayo

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

My rankings in order of personal preference: 

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn
Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett
Rams OC Kevin O’Connell
Bills DC Leslie Frazier
Cowboys OC Kellen Moore
Packers QB Luke Getsy 
Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy
Lions DC Aaron Glenn
Former Eagles HC Doug Pederson
Patriots LB coach Jerod Mayo

Pretty similar to mine I’d say,

Could guys like Getsy and Mayo be possible coordinator interviews?   Getsy especially if we hire Hackett

Cowboys OC Kellen Moore

Rams OC Kevin O’Connell

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn
Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett

Bills DC Leslie Frazier

Lions DC Aaron Glenn
Packers QB Luke Getsy 

Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy
Former Eagles HC Doug Pederson
Patriots LB coach Jerod Mayo