2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I like Callahan's addition as well.    If it's Quinn paired with OC like SF McDaniel/etc, Moore, Hackett (with A-Rod please!), or Callahan - seems to check a lot of boxes.    I'd still think guys like Mayo/Getsy are for the coordinator positions.

I have to say I find it refreshing the list is both diverse and not just a retread list.   

I have no problem with Hackett as long as he is deemed the best candidate and not hired with the idea that he will lure Rodgers. Even if he gets Rodgers, Rodgers is at the point where he could retire at anytime and go do jeopardy or something else. I would hate for them to hire Hackett just to get Rodgers and have Rodgers retire in a year or two and then not really have the best candidate. 

Again not against Hackett. He is very well regarded and had success even with Bortles, but every conversation starts with him maybe being Rodgers preferred guy. Just hope if he is the guy it’s because they feel he is the best coach

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

I have no problem with Hackett as long as he is deemed the best candidate and not hired with the idea that he will lure Rodgers. Even if he gets Rodgers, Rodgers is at the point where he could retire at anytime and go do jeopardy or something else. I would hate for them to hire Hackett just to get Rodgers and have Rodgers retire in a year or two and then not really have the best candidate. 

Again not against Hackett. He is very well regarded and had success even with Bortles, but every conversation starts with him maybe being Rodgers preferred guy. Just hope if he is the guy it’s because they feel he is the best coach

The hire is going to be independent of A-Rod's status for sure.    The decision is not going to be made with any certainty on the QB front whatsoever.   But I also think Hackett's scheme is more likely to succeed with a vet QB than a rookie Rd1 guy.   The obvious fit is A-Rod, but Wilson works too.    Even Cousins would work (although to be clear, I don't think he'd be enough of an upgrade for the price, unlike Stafford 2021 / Watson in 2021 & now <again, don't think this is realistic> /A-Rod/Wilson).

Either way, though, the decision is going to have to be made without any certainty of who's coming in at QB.   We can still dream, though, if either or both become available, we're legit top 2-3 destinations for both, so fingers crossed.

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The hire is going to be independent of A-Rod's status for sure.    The decision is not going to be made with any certainty on the QB front. whatsoever.   But I also think Hackett's scheme is more likely to succeed with a vet QB than a rookie Rd1 guy.   The obvious fit is A-Rod, but Wilson works too.    Even Cousins would work (although to be clear, I don't think he'd be enough of an upgrade for the price, unlike Stafford 2021 / Watson in 2021 & now (again, don't think this is realistic) /A-Rod/Wilson.

Either way, though, the decision is going to have to be made without any certainty of who's coming in at QB.   We can still dream, though, if either or both become available, we're legit top 2-3 destinations for both, so fingers crossed.

I hear you. To me the more impressive attraction to Hackett comes from his work with Blake Bortles. To go to AFCC with him is impressive. I’d be interested in hearing his plan B if they can’t get Rodgers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

I hear you. To me the more impressive attraction to Hackett comes from his work with Blake Bortles. To go to AFCC with him is impressive. I’d be interested in hearing his plan B if they can’t get Rodgers. 

I’m clearly not as impressed by that year in Jacksonville as everyone else. The defence was clearly the star of the show there, the offence was middle of the pack. 13th in yards per drive, 14th in points per drive, and that was with the 2nd-best red zone TD rate in the NFL, which is a stat we know fluctuates quite a bit. Like, the next season, with mostly the same personnel, that offence dropped to 28th in yards/drive, 31st in points/drive, and look at that, 31st in red zone conversions (dropping a full 20 percentage points). 

Hackett could certainly be a good coach, and maybe the best hire we could make! But I’m convinced that 2017 Jags offence was 100% fluke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

From there I'm open to keeping the defensive staff intact and/or am intrigued by Mayo coming in as DC and keeping many of the position coaches since they run a very similar scheme (match zone). 

I've given that a lot of thought and IMO they'll be back and here's why.

Our new HC has 2-3 years to produce or he's gone. He needs rapid improvement on O and ST's to accomplish that. It shouldn't be difficult to raise our offensive output 4-7 ppg, all that's needed to get us in contention.

On the other hand, our D and staff have been together 3 years and this year dropped our PPG by 9 pts from last year. Coaches are used to it, players are used to it and it's worked very well. If you tinker with our D you take on a huge unnecessary risk. Chances are we won't be able to duplicate this years production anyway even with the present staff. We set a very high bar. 

If you tinker with it, change coaches and schemes, etc, any increase in PPG allowed falls on your shoulders. Why add that headache. Clean up the O and ST's, rely on our present D to deliver and if they don't take care of it the following year. If they fail as structured it's not your fault.

13 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I’m clearly not as impressed by that year in Jacksonville as everyone else. The defence was clearly the star of the show there, the offence was middle of the pack. 13th in yards per drive, 14th in points per drive, and that was with the 2nd-best red zone TD rate in the NFL, which is a stat we know fluctuates quite a bit. Like, the next season, with mostly the same personnel, that offence dropped to 28th in yards/drive, 31st in points/drive, and look at that, 31st in red zone conversions (dropping a full 20 percentage points). 

Hackett could certainly be a good coach, and maybe the best hire we could make! But I’m convinced that 2017 Jags offence was 100% fluke.

Middle of the pack offensive production with a terrible starting QB is exactly the kind of thing that makes an impression on GMs. 

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Middle of the pack offensive production with a terrible starting QB is exactly the kind of thing that makes an impression on GMs. 

But again, a super fluky red zone rate was the driver of that offence. When it dried up the next season, the overall numbers also plummeted. 

Past production as an HC/OC/DC may have been what got these guys interviews but I don’t think it’s what will decide the job.  

Everything I have read is that Denver wants the best leader.  Which is typical talk, but I would think Quinn is the easy choice, but if he is this search wasn’t really a search.  He’s the only candidate with experience.  

I wouldn’t count out a surprise even if the expectation was they were going to hire Quinn.

14 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Past production as an HC/OC/DC may have been what got these guys interviews but I don’t think it’s what will decide the job.  

Everything I have read is that Denver wants the best leader.  Which is typical talk, but I would think Quinn is the easy choice, but if he is this search wasn’t really a search.  He’s the only candidate with experience.  

I wouldn’t count out a surprise even if the expectation was they were going to hire Quinn.

The more I think about it, the more a Quinn hire would make this process seem like more of a groaner, no? Not that I’m anti-Quinn at all, or anti-“retread”, but part of the allure of Quinn *has* to be past experience with The Big Job. If he’s the only guy with that experience that you interview, and then you hire him, it’ll seem like the deck was stacked in his favour from the outset, in my opinion.

Which, again, he could be the best choice! I just think the process of getting there will be a little flawed.

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 1

I’ll just relate it to posts I’ve seen in this thread and from Allbright, Klis, and others.  Everyone has loved that Denver is “casting a wide net.”  It’s not really that wide a net if the plan is to hire Quinn and everyone else is OC/DC candidates.  That’s also a reflection on Paton who wouldn’t really be doing his due diligence, which is a strength he’s been applauded for.

4 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The more I think about it, the more a Quinn hire would make this process seem like more of a groaner, no? Not that I’m anti-Quinn at all, or anti-“retread”, but part of the allure of Quinn *has* to be past experience with The Big Job. If he’s the only guy with that experience that you interview, and then you hire him, it’ll seem like the deck was stacked in his favour from the outset, in my opinion.

Which, again, he could be the best choice! I just think the process of getting there will be a little flawed.

We posted at almost the same time, but I agree.

5 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Allbright mentioned one option would be Quinn as HC and Getsy as OC.

That gets the thumbs up from me, because it leaves open the possibility of both Rodgers (who works with Getsy now) and Russell Wilson (who knows Quinn from years ago)

I also think given Paton’s history and the fact Quinn is a potential front runner, that we will likely move to a 4-3 defense next year. This will likely be good news for Bradley Chubb. 

Yeah that jives with all of what we’ve heard that the ideal scenario is Quinn plus a WCO coordinator from the Shanahan/McVay tree (Getsy worked under LaFleur, a Kyle protege). Everyone and their brother is trying to scoop up the Kyle/McVay guys to run/coordinate/coach on their offense. 

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah that jives with all of what we’ve heard that the ideal scenario is Quinn plus a WCO coordinator from the Shanahan/McVay tree (Getsy worked under LaFleur, a Kyle protege). Everyone and their brother is trying to scoop up the Kyle/McVay guys to run/coordinate/coach on their offense. 

I would be for that.  Quinn as a solid defensive mind with HC experience who has coached in the playoffs and SBs.  Getsy has nothing we can realistically get excited about, but I’m fine rolling the dice with his background. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm getting more and more into Brian Callahan as my front runner. He has Denver ties (not that it necessarily means anything) but has a diverse coaching background and has been under some very successful, diverse coaches in Fox, Kubiak, Gruden,Caldwell and now Taylor. He was also an assistant for McDaniels who by all accounts is a genius on the Xs and Os and hopefully taught Callahan some of those detail oriented skills. 

From there I'm open to keeping the defensive staff intact and/or am intrigued by Mayo coming in as DC and keeping many of the position coaches since they run a very similar scheme (match zone). 

At OC (with an offensive minded HC), I would like someone with some relatively recent experience coaching in the college level. So much of today's NFL resembles where college ball has been and is going that I would like that perspective on our team. Getsy would fit the bill. 

Normally I have an instinct to recoil at merely the suggestion of someone with ties to Mac, but, as you point out, Callahan’s exposure to a lot of systems and coaches, multiple HCs and staffs and the fact his dad grew up and coached football his whole life are all valid credentials. And, like you’ve said, no one ever questioned Mac’s ability with Xs and Os or his preparation. Callahan is a legit candidate. 

• Like 1