2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

Good read on Callahan and how he got into coaching: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2021/11/05/brian-callahan-learned-bill-callahan-became-bengals-coordinator/6290238001/

Here's a podcast where he talks a lot about his current role and responsibilities, mentors, time at denver: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/brian-callahan-discusses-his-coaching-roots-and-breaks-down-a-week-in-the-life-of-an-nfl-oc

Edited by grizmo78

Obviously guys can/should learn from past experience, and I’m not sure how accurate this is (it’s PFF, some of their stuff makes a lot of sense, some not so much), but I wouldn’t call this an encouraging chart for our presumed front runner. 

Looking generally at the top 6 and bottom 6, I’d say this passes the smell test, though. 

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 2

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about Dan Quinn being the supposed front runner. I like the guy, and yes he’s a good defensive coach. But he’s not in Fangio’s league, and Fangio just got fired. 

Quinn had one great season when he coached an absolutely loaded Atlanta Falcons team to the Super Bowl.. where he then choked and blew the largest lead in Super Bowl history. Then posted a 24-29 record over the next 4 seasons before being fired after starting 0-5 in 2020. Like.. there’s nothing about his track record that would indicate to me that he’s the guy who can get us back into contention. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about Dan Quinn being the supposed front runner. I like the guy, and yes he’s a good defensive coach. But he’s not in Fangio’s league, and Fangio just got fired. 

Quinn had one great season when he coached an absolutely loaded Atlanta Falcons team to the Super Bowl.. where he then choked and blew the largest lead in Super Bowl history. Then posted a 24-29 record over the next 4 seasons before being fired after starting 0-5 in 2020. Like.. there’s nothing about his track record that would indicate to me that he’s the guy who can get us back into contention. 

People were saying similar things about Kubiak prior to when we hired him.

im not saying Quinn should be the guy, simply saying that a “failed” first HC gig (especially one where he got his team to a SB appearance) is reason to write him off. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

im not saying Quinn should be the guy, simply saying that a “failed” first HC gig (especially one where he got his team to a SB appearance) is reason to write him off. 

If it's a repeated pattern of behavior, or the guy doesn't acknowledge it, then I'm worried.    Fangio's refusal to acknowledge the game management errors was as much of a problem as the original problem itself (and his age / stage of career, it's a no-go for future HC gigs - if he was 10-15 years younger, diff story).   

I agree that Quinn's past doesn't doom him because it was his first gig - but I do expect Paton should be grilling him at the interview, and see what Quinn has learned, and what he would do differently.  If we had a 4-5 hour interview, I'd want at least 1 hour just on that aspect of his coaching plans.  And I'd probably cover it again with the 2nd visit that's likely coming.

Edited by Broncofan

35 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Fair point on Kubs; he was pretty average in Houston for many years. To play Devils advocate though, Kubiak did have a very long and successful history with this franchise prior, albeit as an offensive coordinator. A lot of familiarity there. 

5 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Fair point on Kubs; he was pretty average in Houston for many years. To play Devils advocate though, Kubiak did have a very long and successful history with this franchise prior, albeit as an offensive coordinator. A lot of familiarity there. 

I think that is unfair to Kubiak - the Texans were a franchise team and Capers left a basketcase when he was sacked. In his four years he went 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, 2-14. First season Kubiak went 6-10 with David Carr as QB. There was consistent improvement over the next next 5 years with the exception of a blip in 2010 (after which Kubiak hired Wade Phillips as DC) - 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, 6-10, 10-6, 12-4 - before the disasterous 2-14 season in 2013 - the season Kubiak suffered health problems and Matt Shaub got into the habit of throwing pick-sixes before gtting injured and then giving way to the rookie Case Keenum. The reality is that Kubiak's time in Houston was probably coming to a natural end in 2013 anyway.

Kubiak wasn't helped by a series of poor drafts by Rick Smith - particularly in the earlier years - but I disagree that he was 'pretty average' in Houston. He took a team that was floundering completely, stabilised them and the slowly built a team capable of being play-off bound before the disaster of 2013. And he did that with bang average QB play. The Texans offence was very good under Kubiak - and when the defence didn't come up to par, unlike the likes of Fangio, he cleaned house, more than once, until he hired Phillips (remember Phillips was HC of Dallas before that - so Kubiak couldn't get him).

What he did with the Broncos should not be under-estimated - he had a banged up Payton Manning, kept the offence from falling apart - and was smart enough to keep out of the way of Wade Phillips - on the way to coaching the team to a SB win. The season after the SB was just as remarkable - going 9-7 with Trevor Siemien as QB (the only winning season in the last 6 years).

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 5:41 PM, paul-mac said:

I think Flores to HOU actually opens up the possibility of a reconciliation with Deshaun Watson. There would still be a lot to work through with the ownership, but I think bringing in the coach he specifically wanted to work with would get the ball rolling on that. 

With regard to Watson I'll quote off of a Seinfeld episode in that he no longer has any hand in the situation.  I think he'll just have to accept his situation and just play out his contract.  Once he does that the world MAY be as he wants it.............but for now I don't see him having much leverage other than he is getting paid for doing absolutely nothing! 

1 hour ago, anewdawn said:

With regard to Watson I'll quote off of a Seinfeld episode in that he no longer has any hand in the situation.  I think he'll just have to accept his situation and just play out his contract.  Once he does that the world MAY be as he wants it.............but for now I don't see him having much leverage other than he is getting paid for doing absolutely nothing! 

I’m not so sure. O’Brein and Watson didn’t get along from reports I’ve read and with Houston almost certainly hiring another New England coach, my bet is on Watson being moved.