2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

4 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

My preference is:

1.) Callahan

2A) Quinn

2B) Hackett

4) O'Connell

This is interesting! You’re the first person I’ve seen prefer Callahan over the field. Others (myself included) have stated that he’s a good fit, smart mind, knows the club/culture, etc. but I haven’t seen him as someone’s lead guy. Mind delving into your views a bit (not to knock them down or refute them, I’m genuinely interested)

4 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

This is interesting! You’re the first person I’ve seen prefer Callahan over the field. Others (myself included) have stated that he’s a good fit, smart mind, knows the club/culture, etc. but I haven’t seen him as someone’s lead guy. Mind delving into your views a bit (not to knock them down or refute them, I’m genuinely interested)

Definitely! 

Some of the reasons why I like him are that he has been a coach under a number of different coaches, meaning he has been exposed to different styles of leadership, organizational structure, etc. I posted the list earlier but they include: Fox, Kubiak, Gruden, Caldwell and Taylor. 

I also like that his father has been a successful coach both in the NFL, taking the Raiders to the Super Bowl, as well as in college at Nebraska. Being around football, or anything for that matter, all your life give you experience and insight that takes others longer to notice/realize/etc. I think about Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers and the 10,000 hours "rule" of becoming an expert on something (Rough interpretation of it). Additionally, he didn't take a hand out by accepting his first job with his father, but instead started from scratch to build up his career, starting with high school coaching and working his way through the ranks. He also has a masters in education, which I interpret as a positive in being able to know how to teach his offense and positions effectively. 

Offensively, I think we have very similar tools that the Bengals do which would help Callahan transition our offense a bit easier. Obviously QB is a big difference, but skill position wise they're similar with a top 3 WR core, great RB, etc. 

Lastly, transparently, I am much more in favor of an offensive minded HC than a defensive minded one if we don't have a star QB and instead want to develop a rookie. 

All that said, I've probably read more about Callahan than the others so maybe that plays a little into it as well. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Not to speak for grizmo, but as someone who’s also cheering for Callahan, I love that he’s very familiar with the org, but not so recently that he’ll slide into an unhealthy level of comfort. I love that he’s worked with a bunch of really good (and different) offensive coaches like McDaniels, Gruden, Kubiak, and Taylor. I love that he’s had success with vets like Stafford, Carr, and Manning, as well as helping design an offence for a talented rookie in Burrow. And I love that he’s a coach’s kid, and a pretty dang good coach, at that. You know he’s been living for football his whole life, and I can’t see anything he’d encounter as a head coach coming as a surprise for him.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, grizmo78 said:

Definitely! 

Some of the reasons why I like him are that he has been a coach under a number of different coaches, meaning he has been exposed to different styles of leadership, organizational structure, etc. I posted the list earlier but they include: Fox, Kubiak, Gruden, Caldwell and Taylor. 

I also like that his father has been a successful coach both in the NFL, taking the Raiders to the Super Bowl, as well as in college at Nebraska. Being around football, or anything for that matter, all your life give you experience and insight that takes others longer to notice/realize/etc. I think about Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers and the 10,000 hours "rule" of becoming an expert on something (Rough interpretation of it). Additionally, he didn't take a hand out by accepting his first job with his father, but instead started from scratch to build up his career, starting with high school coaching and working his way through the ranks. He also has a masters in education, which I interpret as a positive in being able to know how to teach his offense and positions effectively. 

Offensively, I think we have very similar tools that the Bengals do which would help Callahan transition our offense a bit easier. Obviously QB is a big difference, but skill position wise they're similar with a top 3 WR core, great RB, etc. 

Lastly, transparently, I am much more in favor of an offensive minded HC than a defensive minded one if we don't have a star QB and instead want to develop a rookie. 

All that said, I've probably read more about Callahan than the others so maybe that plays a little into it as well. 

I’m glad I said “not to speak for” you, cause this is better than my answer. Haha

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

He's not alone. Here's what I wrote a week or so ago.

"I like Callahan. Well rounded ( Earhardt/Perkins, Air Coryell, WCO) successful QB coach and OC, winning history with Denver, worked with Ed Donatell, and not an adherent to any particular philosophy. He'd go quite a ways towards soothing the fan base."

I think he'd be a fantastic choice. I'm with @grizmo78 on this one.

• Like 3

If Callahan is the hire, I won’t complain, he’s on my list of acceptable candidates for sure. I like him, Quinn and Hackett.

I would probably get on board with O’Connell, Bieniemy and Getsy, although not without some concerns. 

The only ones I’m a “hard no” on are Mayo (Patriot way), Glenn and Moore (too inexperienced, maybe in 5 years). 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 1:09 AM, 1234567 said:

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about Dan Quinn being the supposed front runner. I like the guy, and yes he’s a good defensive coach. But he’s not in Fangio’s league, and Fangio just got fired. 

Quinn had one great season when he coached an absolutely loaded Atlanta Falcons team to the Super Bowl.. where he then choked and blew the largest lead in Super Bowl history. Then posted a 24-29 record over the next 4 seasons before being fired after starting 0-5 in 2020. Like.. there’s nothing about his track record that would indicate to me that he’s the guy who can get us back into contention. 

His OC during the Superbowl run was Kyle Shanahan. The guy Denver should have hired to begin with. 

Going with yet another defensive coach seems misguided to me. The offense has been in terrible shape post Manning. It has the parts, but need a coach to elevate. You want a great play caller in today's NFL, you have to make them HC. 

Offensive minded HC can find quality DC's more so than the other way around in my opinion right now in the league. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

There are stories from the 2017 coaching cycle about Kyle Shannahan and Dan Quinn helping mike McDaniel get sober and how mike loved the culture Dan built and owes his continued career to him. 

would love to see them reunited in Denver. 

McDaniel is the OC for the 49ers. How would they reunite in Denver? Unless Shanahan released his OC to let him go which isn't going to happen. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

McDaniel is the OC for the 49ers. How would they reunite in Denver? Unless Shanahan released his OC to let him go which isn't going to happen. 

He doesn't call plays though, and that certainly matters from a career progression standpoint. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you. It's more than likely he sticks with the 49ers (if he doesn't get a HC gig) and builds his resume working with Kyle and waits until his stock is high enough to land a HC gig.

But it's not unrealistic for McDaniel to be allowed to move 'laterally' in terms of job title for more responsibility. Make no bones - him making a name for himself as a playcaller will be exponentially better for his career progression than him designing run plays for a playcaller.

• Like 2