2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

2 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1484909268075753472?s=21

Really bummed if true.. not sure it means anything but I was really stoked on the idea of Paton and his staff having full autonomy here. Guess that was a pipe dream. 

Oh I'm sure George has full autonomy, Elway and Ellis are just observing and answering questions. I believe the decision will be 100% George's to make. 

I’m getting pretty nervous about this Gannon hype.

Last time we hired a guy who’d only been a co-ordinator for one year, was respected around the league as a “leader of men” and was getting more hype than the actual performance of his unit dictated, we ended up with Vance Joseph who was predictably out of his depth and flamed out in two years.

I’d much rather have an ex HC who did well in his first stint (Quinn) or a coordinator who’s actually managed an elite unit 

23 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1484909268075753472?s=21

Really bummed if true.. not sure it means anything but I was really stoked on the idea of Paton and his staff having full autonomy here. Guess that was a pipe dream. 

I don't understand why this is a problem? When I interview for a job, I meet with the hiring manager, and often, people above that person's level. That's just how it goes.

14 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I’m getting pretty nervous about this Gannon hype.

Last time we hired a guy who’d only been a co-ordinator for one year, was respected around the league as a “leader of men” and was getting more hype than the actual performance of his unit dictated, we ended up with Vance Joseph who was predictably out of his depth and flamed out in two years.

I’d much rather have an ex HC who did well in his first stint (Quinn) or a coordinator who’s actually managed an elite unit 

I agree with the last part of this. Would prefer experience. That said, I am fine with a cerebral candidate who displays the right traits for a HC, as opposed to solely a rah-rah guy. Denver left far too many points on the table because of bad clock management, TO usage, poor situational football, etc... 

Whoever the new HC is needs to be a massive improvement in that area.

• Like 1

It will be a hard sell to the fanbase if Gannon is the hire. Now, I don’t think that PR should be a major factor in choosing the HC, but I do believe it will be something they consider. Paton doesn’t want to deal with another Vic/Vance reaction from the fanbase, especially when the team just raised ticket prices.

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It will be a hard sell to the fanbase if Gannon is the hire. Now, I don’t think that PR should be a major factor in choosing the HC, but I do believe it will be something they consider. Paton doesn’t want to deal with another Vic/Vance reaction from the fanbase, especially when the team just raised ticket prices.

Too bad this was not a hire post Kubiak.  Then we could swallow the hire with some optimism.

• Like 1

I’ve said all along I think it will be Quinn or Hackett. And I haven’t been alone.

Klis and Allbright are reporting it’s now between those 3 along with (from Klis) Mayo and Moore. Color me a non-believer in the latter two, Mayo would be an impossible sell to the fanbase that endured the McDisaster and has seen one Belichick assistant after another crash and burn and isn’t even a coordinator. 

I also heard from my beat reporter friend that the decision being made today is whether to do another round of interviews or decide and announce a hire by Monday.

“I have it on good faith that a second round of interviews could be announced anytime, if not, expect a hire to be announced Monday, even if they make their choice today they won’t want to distract from the playoff games, in keeping with NFL SOPs.” 

That’s the text from him verbatim. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve said all along I think it will be Quinn or Hackett. And I haven’t been alone.

Klis and Allbright are reporting it’s now between those 3 along with (from Klis) Mayo and Moore. Color me a non-believer in the latter two, Mayo would be an impossible sell to the fanbase that endured the McDisaster and has seen one Belichick assistant after another crash and burn and isn’t even a coordinator. 

I also heard from my beat reporter friend that the decision being made today is whether to do another round of interviews or decide and announce a hire by Monday.

“I have it on good faith that a second round of interviews could be announced anytime, if not, expect a hire to be announced Monday, even if they make their choice today they won’t want to distract from the playoff games, in keeping with NFL SOPs.” 

That’s the text from him verbatim. 

I hope they do a second round. They did 10 interviews really quickly. Let’s get down to our top 3 and go at it again to make the right decision. Enough of these coaching turnovers. 

1 minute ago, grizmo78 said:

I hope they do a second round. They did 10 interviews really quickly. Let’s get down to our top 3 and go at it again to make the right decision. Enough of these coaching turnovers. 

Given that Paton has a reputation for being a “grinder,”  “doing his due diligence,” and the like, I would wager they do another round interview round with 2-4 finalists early this week. 

• Like 1

Add me to the list of those who think a second round is a good idea. Pick your top three candidates and then do a really deep dive on what they think of the roster, their plans for the team and how they think they can get us competing for a superbowl within a couple of years (including how they’d do it if we are unable to land Rodgers/Wilson)

• Like 1

2nd round interviews are nice, but realize these guys are interviewing elsewhere. If Paton catches wind that the Texans are going to move on Gannon, and he is Paton's guy, would he move quicker to secure him as Denver's head coach? It isn't like these interviews are like hiring for a new bookkeeper.