2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

31 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Shoot, at this point who knows? This is the first time I have read about O'Connell as a finalist, but maybe that is on purpose. 

My beat reporter friend said early on he expects O’Connell to do well with us. He, along with Quinn and Hackett, were the 3 names he mentioned. GMFB also just reported it’s those same 3. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

My beat reporter friend said early on he expects O’Connell to do well with us. He, along with Quinn and Hackett, were the 3 names he mentioned. GMFB also just reported it’s those same 3. 

Should we be worried about O’Connell as he played under BB? Or is it only those who actually coached under him that we need to avoid? 

13 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Should we be worried about O’Connell as he played under BB? Or is it only those who actually coached under him that we need to avoid? 

Nah he was barely there for one season. That’s not a red flag as, say Daboll, who coached under Belichick, Saban and BB assistants for 17 years. 

46 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I will only accept that information if Kay Adams can come sit on my face and tell me herself. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

Almost feels like he’s doing his boy a solid more than actual reporting 

To be fair Allbright has been really accurate in his calls the last 2 seasons.  

I could absolutely get behind O’Connell & Hackett.   I do have concerns that Gannon was a 1-2 trick pony in his Philly time - if the front 4 didn’t generate pressure he didn’t have a lot of adjustments he could make.    The Phi D going from 19th to 10th in scoring D from 2020 to 2021 belies the fact that they had a 4th place schedule this year and a 1st place in 2020.   By DVOA (which adjusts for competition and game script) they actually fell from 15th to 25th.  So the metrics support the eye test concerns.  

I get the HC job is not about the DC position but it’s more the lack of adjustments / adaptability, if it’s a real issue - that isn’t going to be any easier as a HC.   It’s right up there with game management.  Then you add he’s only had 1 year of coordinator experience (again more about the level of responsibility not the job).   I’d be putting Gannon further down the other 3 mentioned so far.   Obviously with HC interviews we don’t get the full picture just that 1 key weakness and the results being heavily influenced by competition faced, those stood out in his PHI DC time, are pretty big flags that he's not ready to be a successful coordinator, let alone HC.  

Edited by Broncofan

This is great news IMO.    Not really sure how Gannon makes the grade from 1 year of DC with the context above to HC.   He must be a fantastic interview, but the issues are still there. 

The issue is going to be that O'Connell is still in playoffs - so by rules as I understand it (and it's new, so could be wrong lol), now the 2nd interview has to wait until after the Conference Championship (no interviews this week if you're live for the CG, you can do it 1st week of SB break).    So we're going to interview Quinn & Hackett - but would have to wait to interview O'Connell.

On the one hand, it must mean Paton is VERY interested in O'Connell - but will he let the decision wait with Quinn/Hackett?      If you're deciding this week, then O'Connell is likely out.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair Allbright has been really accurate in his calls the last 2 seasons.  

I could absolutely get behind O’Connell & Hackett.   I do have concerns that Gannon was a 1-2 trick pony in his Philly time - if the front 4 didn’t generate pressure he didn’t have a lot of adjustments he could make.    The Phi D going from 19th to 10th in scoring D from 2020 to 2021 belies the fact that they had a 4th place schedule this year and a 1st place in 2020.   By DVOA (which adjusts for competition and game script) they actually fell from 15th to 25th.  So the metrics support the eye test concerns.  

I get the HC job is not about the DC position but it’s more the lack of adjustments / adaptability, if it’s a real issue - that isn’t going to be any easier as a HC.   It’s right up there with game management.  Then you add he’s only had 1 year of coordinator experience (again more about the level of responsibility not the job).   I’d be putting Gannon further down the other 3 mentioned so far.   Obviously with HC interviews we don’t get the full picture just that 1 key weakness and the results being heavily influenced by competition faced, those stood out in his PHI DC time, are pretty big flags that he's not ready to be a successful coordinator, let alone HC.  

Speaking of adjustments/adaptability, Leslie Frazier sure didn’t help his HC qualifications yesterday. Admittedly it was against the most talented QB in football history, but KC found something in the 2nd half and Frazier had no response at all. 

Quinn, Hackett, and O’Connell seems like a pretty great set of finalists, from what we can know about them? Interesting that they’re all a different kind of hire:

Quinn - “retread”, defensive coach

Hackett - lots of experience all over the league, and in college. Offensive coach

O’Connell - not much for experience, but certainly the “hot-shot” coordinator that is always popular this time of year. With the success of Shanny, McVay, and Taylor, certainly makes sense to try drawing from that well.

16 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Quinn, Hackett, and O’Connell seems like a pretty great set of finalists, from what we can know about them? Interesting that they’re all a different kind of hire:

Quinn - “retread”, defensive coach; very adaptable with OC's, aggressive style D and players love him; outstanding communicator - but are his game management weaknesses addressed?

Hackett - lots of experience all over the league, and in college. Offensive coach

O’Connell - not much for experience, but certainly the “hot-shot” coordinator that is always popular this time of year. With the success of Shanny, McVay, and Taylor, certainly makes sense to try drawing from that well.

I'd qualify the above bolded/underlined additions as reasons why Quinn's a lot different than just a retread defensive coach.   It's really reductionist of DEN fans to think he's Fangio V2.   He's about as far away as Fangio in terms of style, approach (even his base D preference is opposite, although teams used mixed concepts anyways).    The OC he's paired with is crucial.   Klint Kubiak, Mike McDaniel.....SIGN...ME....UP.

I have to say O'Connell's work in LAR the past 2 years has impressed me a TON.    He adapted the O to fit Stafford's strengths, adjusted the zone run scheme to a power scheme last year, when it was clear that the OL was ill-suited to a zone scheme, and then he has found a way to incorporate OBJ to replace Robert Woods in the O, and after a hiccup first 4 weeks while OBJ learned the O, that O is humming on all cylinders.   That's a pattern of repeated adaptability, adjustment and innovation - and those are the key HC skills, not just talking OC.   

I could absolutely get behind O'Connell (Quinn & Hackett no problems with - although it's a LOT easier with Hackett if he's got A-Rod or Wilson - he made JAX functional with Blake Bortles, and that's to his credit, but it's not nearly the same impact we need lol).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Speaking of adjustments/adaptability, Leslie Frazier sure didn’t help his HC qualifications yesterday. Admittedly it was against the most talented QB in football history, but KC found something in the 2nd half and Frazier had no response at all

I know McDermott is supposedly more of a CEO now but I always worry the DC there is really the #2.   Frazier has had such a long history I don’t see that he’s suddenly changed his stripes.  

It’s surprising imo guys like Joseph, Gannon and Frazier are getting interviews but guys like Raheem Morris are barely getting nibbles.   I’d much rather inquire on younger guys like Morris because imo I think there’s more room for growth with an already excellent coaching skill set. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'd qualify the above bolded/underlined additions as reasons why Quinn's a lot different than just a retread defensive coach.   It's really reductionist of DEN fans to think he's Fangio V2.   He's about as far away as Fangio in terms of style, approach (even his base D preference is opposite, although teams used mixed concepts anyways).    The OC he's paired with is crucial.   Klint Kubiak, Mike McDaniel.....SIGN...ME....UP.

I have to say O'Connell's work in LAR the past 2 years has impressed me a TON.    He adapted the O to fit Stafford's strengths, adjusted the zone run scheme to a power scheme last year, when it was clear that the OL was ill-suited to a zone scheme, and then he has found a way to incorporate OBJ to replace Robert Woods in the O, and after a hiccup first 4 weeks while OBJ learned the O, that O is humming on all cylinders.   That's a pattern of repeated adaptability, adjustment and innovation - and those are the key HC skills, not just talking OC.   

I could absolutely get behind O'Connell (Quinn & Hackett no problems with - although it's a LOT easier with Hackett if he's got A-Rod or Wilson - he made JAX functional with Blake Bortles, and that's to his credit, but it's not nearly the same impact we need lol).

Certainly did not mean to “reduce” Quinn to ‘retread Fangio’ type, was just talking about the uniqueness of his background compared to the other finalists. He’s the only guy with previous HC experience, and the only guy coming from the defensive side of the ball. That’s all. 

• Like 1