Week 07 2021 - MNF Thread - Saints (3-2) @ Seahawks (2-4)

Mid Iowa

15 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Was nice to see Davenport back last night. He clearly has taken a step forward as a player and looks like he could be an impact player for us...if he can just stay healthy. I understand that is a big "if" for him, but this is kind of make or break time for him if he wants that pay day. 

Once we get Onyemata back, our defense could be right near the top of the league assuming guys stay healthy.

I think the hope that Davenport would be healthy was why they were more willing to let Hendrickson leave as well.  I mean sure Hendrickson has outclassed our DEs by himself, but several missed multiple games, Davenport included.  Do you think if the Davenport that played in Green Bay had been healthy the entire time he wouldn't have had similar stats to Hendrickson?

1 hour ago, Raves said:

I think the hope that Davenport would be healthy was why they were more willing to let Hendrickson leave as well.  I mean sure Hendrickson has outclassed our DEs by himself, but several missed multiple games, Davenport included.  Do you think if the Davenport that played in Green Bay had been healthy the entire time he wouldn't have had similar stats to Hendrickson?

It seems like a Davenport's "best case scenario" is that he may develop into a Hendrickson caliber player, but it's a very risky gamble given that he is always hurt. Still need to see consistency from Davenport as well, but at times he has shown to be a impact player at DE like Hendrickson has shown.

41 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

It seems like a Davenport's "best case scenario" is that he may develop into a Hendrickson caliber player, but it's a very risky gamble given that he is always hurt. Still need to see consistency from Davenport as well, but at times he has shown to be a impact player at DE like Hendrickson has shown.

Honestly Davenport's looked better than Hendrickson when Davenport was healthy last season and to start this season, the biggest issue that will keep him from fulfilling on that talent is his injuries.  If he could just stay healthy...  When Davenport started turning the corner last year I started to view him the same as Armstead, potentially great player that can only be viewed as good due to lack of availability.

26 minutes ago, Raves said:

Honestly Davenport's looked better than Hendrickson when Davenport was healthy last season and to start this season, the biggest issue that will keep him from fulfilling on that talent is his injuries.  If he could just stay healthy...  When Davenport started turning the corner last year I started to view him the same as Armstead, potentially great player that can only be viewed as good due to lack of availability.

I disagree with that. Hendrickson has looked better last year and this year. Hendrickson just last season alone had more sacks than Davenport has had in his entire career. Hendrickson this season has almost as many sacks as Davenport's past 3 seasons combined. Hendrickson was excellent last season for us, and as I predicted in the offseason, appears to only be scratching the surface as he has looked even better for the Bengals this season.  The guy was 3rd in the NFL last season in sacks and is currently 4th in the NFL in sacks this season.

20 hours ago, Fray32 said:

Just saw that Lutz has been shut down for the rest of the year 😢

I just saw that too. Bummer. 
On a good note, the rookie kid is kicking well.

I also see that Willie Snead has been released by the Ravens. Thoughts on bringing him in over Tre'Quan? He knew the system and played hard (at first, anyway).

19 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I disagree with that. Hendrickson has looked better last year and this year. Hendrickson just last season alone had more sacks than Davenport has had in his entire career. Hendrickson this season has almost as many sacks as Davenport's past 3 seasons combined. Hendrickson was excellent last season for us, and as I predicted in the offseason, appears to only be scratching the surface as he has looked even better for the Bengals this season.  The guy was 3rd in the NFL last season in sacks and is currently 4th in the NFL in sacks this season.

Marcus Davenport is worlds better than Trey Hendrickson in run support. I loved Trey, and he's a nasty pass rusher, but when healthy Davenport is the better player.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Marcus Davenport is worlds better than Trey Hendrickson in run support. I loved Trey, and he's a nasty pass rusher, but when healthy Davenport is the better player.

Davenport may be better in run support, but as of now Hendrickson is worlds better as a pass rusher. Maybe Davenport down the road develops that consistency, but as of now that just isn't an accurate statement. Hendrickson has shown he can do it over sustained periods. Davenport has yet to do so almost halfway through his 4th season.

Davenport played 374 snaps last season for us. In those snaps he had:

9 hurries

17 pressures

1.5 sacks

Hendrickson played 558 snaps last season for us. In those snaps he had:

7 hurries

33 pressures

13.5 sacks 

This season has been even more dominant for Hendrickson.

Hendrickson has played 342 snaps in 7 games and has:

10 hurries

23 pressures

6.5 sacks

Edited by tyler735

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Davenport may be better in run support, but as of now Hendrickson is worlds better as a pass rusher. Maybe Davenport down the road develops that consistency, but as of now that just isn't an accurate statement. Hendrickson has shown he can do it over sustained periods. Davenport has yet to do so almost halfway through his 4th season.

Davenport played 374 snaps last season for us. In those snaps he had:

9 hurries

17 pressures

1.5 sacks

Hendrickson played 558 snaps last season for us. In those snaps he had:

7 hurries

33 pressures

13.5 sacks 

This season has been even more dominant for Hendrickson.

Hendrickson has played 342 snaps in 7 games and has:

10 hurries

23 pressures

6.5 sacks

Davenport is PFFs highest ratest edge rusher, he just hasn't been healthy. In 61 snaps Davenport has 4 pressures, 2 hurries and 1 sack. If Davenport had played the same amount of snaps he'd have 22 pressures, 11 hurries, and 5.5 sacks.

You can just see the difference Davenport makes when he plays. The entire defense steps up a notch when he plays. I love Trey, he's a very good pass rusher but Davenport is a better player when he's healthy. Now, you can absolutely hold that against him because the best ability is availability. 

35 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Davenport is PFFs highest ratest edge rusher, he just hasn't been healthy. In 61 snaps Davenport has 4 pressures, 2 hurries and 1 sack. If Davenport had played the same amount of snaps he'd have 22 pressures, 11 hurries, and 5.5 sacks.

Deonte Harris was recently PFF's 2nd rated WR. Going to take that with a large grain of salt. The problem is that your argument is 2 massive assumptions with Davenport here. "if" he stayed healthy and "if" he kept the same pace. A 2 game sample size leaves a lot to be desired lol. Hendrickson has been out on the field each week putting up elite level pass rush numbers for the past year and a half. Give me the guy that can stay and the field and get it done consistently when on the field.

You can just see the difference Davenport makes when he plays. The entire defense steps up a notch when he plays. I love Trey, he's a very good pass rusher but Davenport is a better player when he's healthy. Now, you can absolutely hold that against him because the best ability is availability. 

Davenport definitely has ability, but he's not a better player at this point. See above numbers. Our DL was excellent last season with Hendrickson, and the Bengals suddenly are suddenly playing great defense this season with Hendrickson being their top pass rusher. They've given up 18 points a game this season (Gave up 26.5 last season). Including most recently shutting down a Ravens team that is widely considered one of the best in the league. Hendrickson was an absolute force against them as he has been basically each and every week this year.

That said, I think we can both agree it would surely be nice to see what Davenport can do if he can stay healthy the rest of the year. With Onyemata coming back our DL could really cause some problems for opposing teams going forward.

Edited by tyler735

42 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Deonte Harris was recently PFF's 2nd rated WR. Going to take that with a large grain of salt. The problem is that your argument is 2 massive assumptions with Davenport here. "if" he stayed healthy and "if" he kept the same pace. A 2 game sample size leaves a lot to be desired lol. Hendrickson has been out on the field each week putting up elite level pass rush numbers for the past year and a half. Give me the guy that can stay and the field and get it done consistently when on the field.

Davenport definitely has ability, but he's not a better player at this point. See above numbers. Our DL was excellent last season with Hendrickson, and the Bengals suddenly are suddenly playing great defense this season with Hendrickson being their top pass rusher. They've given up 18 points a game this season (Gave up 26.5 last season). Including most recently shutting down a Ravens team that is widely considered one of the best in the league. Hendrickson was an absolute force against them as he has been basically each and every week this year.

That said, I think we can both agree it would surely be nice to see what Davenport can do if he can stay healthy the rest of the year. With Onyemata coming back our DL could really cause some problems for opposing teams going forward.

I don't think its a stretch at all. Its been his MO since he entered the league. He's dominant, but he can't stay healthy. Like I said, straight up talent Davenport wins...but that doesn't mean much when you only play 8 games a year.

12 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don't think its a stretch at all. Its been his MO since he entered the league. He's dominant, but he can't stay healthy. Like I said, straight up talent Davenport wins...but that doesn't mean much when you only play 8 games a year.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on the "talent" part of it. Definitely hope we start seeing more of Davenport on the field going forward though.

57 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

The Bengals have typically had a good DL, I mean they've had guys like Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap etc so they've done well there.  But the lack of offense meant they were always on the field and normally playing from behind.  This year they're playing from ahead more often meaning that the defense specifically can pin their ears back and attack more often.  Kind of how the Saints defense did during their Super Bowl run.  Offense was constantly getting up 10+ points and the defense just pinned their ears back and attacked getting sacks and turnovers.

14 minutes ago, Raves said:

The Bengals have typically had a good DL, I mean they've had guys like Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap etc so they've done well there.  But the lack of offense meant they were always on the field and normally playing from behind.  This year they're playing from ahead more often meaning that the defense specifically can pin their ears back and attack more often.  Kind of how the Saints defense did during their Super Bowl run.  Offense was constantly getting up 10+ points and the defense just pinned their ears back and attacked getting sacks and turnovers.

Sure they have had some good DL in years past. That said, go ask Bengals fans what kind of impact he's had in the NFL Gen topic currently going on. Or even read through their comments. He's been massive for them and continues to be an elite pass rusher. 

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Sure they have had some good DL in years past. That said, go ask Bengals fans what kind of impact he's had in the NFL Gen topic currently going on. Or even read through their comments. He's been massive for them and continues to be an elite pass rusher

That's the thing, that's all he is.  Davenport, when healthy, is close as pass rusher and a much better run defender.