Mid Season: State of the Nation

big_palooka

Clean house?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Raiders look to replace Jack Del Rio?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Even before Carr got hurt, he was playing awful football against Was and Denver.

Bottom line is, the guy has regressed a bit or he's not quite as good as we thought after last year. He and Todd Downing are super close and all off-season we heard how Carr was going to be taking more of a command/ownership of the offense. And low and behold, it looks like we are running Carr's Fresno ST offense with all the five wide BS and short throws.  The guy is uncomfortable on any throw that requires him to hold the ball for more than two seconds. You look at guys like Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson. They are calm, poised and courageous in the pocket with bodies around them. Carr isn't and probably will never be that guy and our OC catering to those limitations have hurt our offense as a whole.

Just wait til Wentz breaks his leg, back and hand and see how "courageous" he is in the pocket. I don't even think it will take that for Watson. Take even a shallow dive into his 4 game rise to buzz worthiness and you'll see it too. His 4 wins have been vs Tenn who everyone downplayed defensively after we beat them. KC who they had comparable games against. Cleveland. Period. And Seattle who sacked him 5 times and picked him off 3 times. He does some good things but he isn't face of the franchise yet like Derek is.

13 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Just wait til Wentz breaks his leg, back and hand and see how "courageous" he is in the pocket. I don't even think it will take that for Watson. Take even a shallow dive into his 4 game rise to buzz worthiness and you'll see it too. His 4 wins have been vs Tenn who everyone downplayed defensively after we beat them. KC who they had comparable games against. Cleveland. Period. And Seattle who sacked him 5 times and picked him off 3 times. He does some good things but he isn't face of the franchise yet like Derek is.

Wentz and Watson were the same poised guys in college. Derek was always skittish in college with bodies around him, it was the knock on him and why he fell to the 2nd.

But real talk....if DC is going to be this timid guy he is this year for the rest of his career because he got hurt, then I don't want him as my QB. Point blank. This is a man's game and you are going to get hurt sometimes. If we have to alter our offense so much to pacify Carr's fear of being injured...what does that say about him.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Name to watch will be Dirk Koetter. Bucs players are sounding off in the media. Things are getting dicey there and he has ties to JDR.

Mike Smith could also be out for that matter. JDRs first choice for DC

Yes please to both of those guys.

I think we'll keep Downing, though. Possibly bring someone in to mentor him, so to speak, but that they'll give him another year.

Not saying I'm particularly fond of this idea, but that's what I think will happen.

I voted yes, but I'm not completely convinced it's the answer.  Having said that, I have zero expectation that JDR will be replaced.  I think that's probably true even if we win less than six games.  There is absolutely no way on Earth Davis will eat the money due JDR as a result of the February contract extension.  And in addition to reportedly being stingy, Davis is also reported to be very loyal.  It concerns me that any potential vacancies with the coordinator positions will presumably be filled by the man who arguably created the problems with the coordinator positions in the first place, but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If you want to make excuses and not acknowledge Derek's shortcomings this year, that's on you.

Im just evaluating as I see it. And Derek deserves his share of blame for the offense's regression. 

I don't disagree but I do think Downing has coached him to play like that.  Its been said they've made it a point to get the ball out quicker.  Which is kind of odd since Carr has a pretty fast release in general

Anyways, about a new coach: I was thinking we should go with an offensive guy earlier today, but no one comes to mind.  New Orleans is winning so that means no Sean Payton. Gase, I would liked, but he's thrown his team under the bus so much this year. HueJax is a joke.  Koetter might get canned but idk if I want him as a HC.  We've spoken to Darrel Bevell in the past but maybe it would be good to cool it with the hires from Seattle and Denver.

Even still, who are the defensive candidates?  Fangio?  Austin?

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If you want to make excuses and not acknowledge Derek's shortcomings this year, that's on you.

Im just evaluating as I see it. And Derek deserves his share of blame for the offense's regression. 

When did I deny the shortcomings or make excuses for him. I pointed to other valid cause of the offense slow down. It's not just Carr's play. Then I said that if you didn't like Carr for his shortcomings then you'd have to live with it. He is the franchise.

12 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Anyways, about a new coach: I was thinking we should go with an offensive guy earlier today, but no one comes to mind.  New Orleans is winning so that means no Sean Payton. Gase, I would liked, but he's thrown his team under the bus so much this year. HueJax is a joke.  Koetter might get canned but idk if I want him as a HC.  We've spoken to Darrel Bevell in the past but maybe it would be good to cool it with the hires from Seattle and Denver.

Even still, who are the defensive candidates?  Fangio?  Austin?

It looks pretty thin on the available talent at HC right now unfortunately. Not alot of up and coming innovative coaches for the modern game that i see. I hate to say it but Josh McDaniels might be the best offensive mind for a HC but i dont really like his personality for running a team. Maybe Jim Bob Cooter? He resurrected Stafford and that offense from the depths. Anyone for Arians if he gets canned after the year? I also agree Shurmur deserves another chance. If Wentz keeps playing well i could also see Frank Reich's name coming up.

At OC, Wade Wilson comes to mind for me. Maybe Mike Groh or Alex Van Pelt?

My first pick for DC is Nick Rapone all the way. John Butler and Perry Fewell are a couple other names i can see.

Archived