Mid Season: State of the Nation

big_palooka

Clean house?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Raiders look to replace Jack Del Rio?

• Yes
    • No

Del rio said the Washington play was a hail mary call. I dont know wtf carr was doing than. Del rio said we need ti execute it better. It seemed like downing and carr has drilled getting the ball out fast so much, that game awareness have gone out the window. Thats crazy. His comments also tell me todd most likely isnt going anywhere. 

47 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Del rio looks and sounds defeated and tired in his latest pressers. Like he truly just dont know what to do to turn this around. 

How should he sound after that game? Anything and anyway he said it would be analyzed. Get mad and some would say he lost control. Be calm or happy and some would say he lost touch and/or is oblivious to the situation. Be deadpan and some would say he checked out.

11 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

How should he sound after that game? Anything and anyway he said it would be analyzed. Get mad and some would say he lost control. Be calm or happy and some would say he lost touch and/or is oblivious to the situation. Be deadpan and some would say he checked out.

Right. So what's the problem? The main issue is the look and sound of im lost and dont have any idea what to do about it. He actually looked and sounded better in his after the game presser than his most recent one. 

23 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Right. So what's the problem? The main issue is the look and sound of im lost and dont have any idea what to do about it. He actually looked and sounded better in his after the game presser than his most recent one. 

He may be at a lose at the moment it's just the best option as he processes the questions asked of him. If players aren't executing the plays than he is in a catch 22. Throw guys under the bus totally or look lost.

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

Del rio said the Washington play was a hail mary call. I dont know wtf carr was doing than. Del rio said we need ti execute it better. It seemed like downing and carr has drilled getting the ball out fast so much, that game awareness have gone out the window. Thats crazy. His comments also tell me todd most likely isnt going anywhere. 

That play, in a nutshell, is a microcosm of 2017 Derek Carr.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Del Rio is really deflecting blame This was what got him in trouble in his first HC gig.

Naw, what got him in trouble was having 25 player on IR(a record at the time), crappy QB play and an owner that was actively looking for exit strategies for 2 years. What he said in press conferences wasn't the issue.

I'm not firing Del Rio after we were singing his praises (relatively) a year ago. He's the first head coach in a decade to take the Raiders to the playoffs and I don't mind giving him the ceremonial 3 years to prove his worth.

Further, we can't ignore how team construction hasn't exactly panned out. Yes, coaching is a part of that but he's only really benefitted from one full draft class considering how injury ridden this year's has been.

I'll take the rest of this year and next year to figure out what to do with him. Moreover, if we do replace him who do we replace him with? Pat Shurmer? 

On 10/30/2017 at 4:42 PM, Nightmare said:

Yes please to both of those guys.

I think we'll keep Downing, though. Possibly bring someone in to mentor him, so to speak, but that they'll give him another year.

Not saying I'm particularly fond of this idea, but that's what I think will happen.

My thoughts exactly. They'll give him another year to see if he can turn it around while bringing someone in to help out (think John Pagano, but on the offense).

Speaking of, I think KNJ is gone after this season and Pagano becomes DC.

12 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Naw, what got him in trouble was having 25 player on IR(a record at the time), crappy QB play and an owner that was actively looking for exit strategies for 2 years. What he said in press conferences wasn't the issue.

Lord man... obviously there are always many factors that come into play when a coach fails. I was pointing out the fact he has in his past deflected blame and been downtrodden which is not good leadership. It's a crack in the armor, same stuff evident in his time in Jacksonville when facing adversity. Didn't serve him there, won't serve him here. 

10 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm not firing Del Rio after we were singing his praises (relatively) a year ago. He's the first head coach in a decade to take the Raiders to the playoffs and I don't mind giving him the ceremonial 3 years to prove his worth.

Further, we can't ignore how team construction hasn't exactly panned out. Yes, coaching is a part of that but he's only really benefitted from one full draft class considering how injury ridden this year's has been.

I'll take the rest of this year and next year to figure out what to do with him. Moreover, if we do replace him who do we replace him with? Pat Shurmer? 

Has he not proven it? Norton/Downing prove he's not capable of building a good enough staff around him. Baring a total meltdown, he will remain the coach. Question is, will he admit mistakes and upgrade his assistants finally.

Personally committing to another year, is just another waste of time. You already know who JDR is and what he can get you. It's not a championship, so why invest more into him?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Lord man... obviously there are always many factors that come into play when a coach fails. I was pointing out the fact he has in his past deflected blame and been downtrodden which is not good leadership. It's a crack in the armor, same stuff evident in his time in Jacksonville when facing adversity. Didn't serve him there, won't serve him here. 

I know what you were saying. What I was saying is that what you were saying is stretch to say the least. The only instances was with Musgrave and it was deserved iirc.

Archived