1/2 Way Mock Draft

Bobby816

So just thought I'd do one for fun this morning. Obviously the players rankings and all are still subject to change big time. But these picks are based on several sites rankings right now. I'm taking into consideration BPA, JD's draft style and need.

I don't have time yet to thumb through the FA class. But we should be players in FA too.

I don't think we make any significant changes to the staff either.

So here we go...

1. Evan Neal (OT/Alabama): Just a stud OT. Not a weakness in his game. Could even argue that he's better than Becton and we should move Becton to RT and start Neal at LT. But that's not worth debating quite yet. I also think we leave this option open. I think we keep Fant's contract as a safety net in case we don't draft Neal. Maybe we cut Fant post this draft pick, or maybe we even keep him for depth if we don't need the cap space and with Becton's injury history. JD has clearly valued OL and I don't think that changes. And I love building a team that way.

1. (from SEA) Tyler Linderbaum (OC/Iowa): So for starters I think this pick is more around the mid late teens when its all said and done, not top 10 like it is now. So that's why I have us going this route rather than others. Lindy is arguably the best OC prospect to come out in  nearly a decade (Travis Fredrick maybe). This gives us a star and incredibly young OL with Becton, AVT, Neal and Lindy. No excuse to not protect Wilson and give carter lanes now. Lindy is a natural leader as well. All his traits just fit what JD loves.

2. Drake Jackson (DE/USC): Great bend and agility from him. He's a more athletic Lawson and better and stronger than Huff type guy. JFM doesn't offer much in the speed department off the edge. So Drake gives us that. All these guys will be rotating in. So let the best man get the most snaps. And I think in a year or 2 Drake is our legit starting DE for us. We really cant bank on Lawson being what he was. 

2. (from CAR): Henry To'o To'o (LB/Alabama): LB that can start right away and learn from Mosley how to make calls and such. Both being Bama guys, I'm sure CJ will love to teach him. To'o To'o is what Saleh likes in a LB. Big enough to tackle and cover anybody with speed, strength and smarts. No doubt LB is a need for us, and I like this 2nd round area for a LB. He's a natural leader.

3. Jahleel Billingsley (TE/Alabama): Love this guy as a pro prospect. An athletic freak that bc of all the WR talent at Bama isn't featured. But for me he's a 1st/2nd Round talent based on his athletic ability. Isn't going to be very useful as a blocker right away (but he can get better with coaching), but he's not a huge liability either. But he's a legit receiving option and a mismatch for LBs and Ss. He's a better Yeboah.

4. Kyler Gordon (CB/Washington): This pick serves multiple levels. For starters he's an elite gunner in ST. But that's not where it ends with him. Unlike a guy like Hardee... he's a good cover CB as well and can actual play there as well. I think this staff still thinks they can get great use out of mid late round picks for this secondary.

4. Tre Turner (WR/Virginia Tech): Some might not think WR is a need. And it might not be depending on what we do in FA... but Davis, Moore and Mims are our only WRs I believe under contract after this season. So continuing to get talented WRs in here as depth for Wilson still needs to be a priority when injuries occur. I do think we bring back a vet or 2.. but we still need youth here. Turner is a receiver much in the mold of Davis and Mims, great size but is speedy and agile as well. I love the value here for him.

5. Smoke Monday (SS/Auburn): Besides having arguably the best name ever... he's a good S. He's raw in a lot of areas and actually has a lot of "Sherwood" in his game. But he's better in coverage and is more a natural S. I don't have us going S too high really bc I do think we get a guy in FA and I think we play around a bit with Mas and Sherwood maybe going back to SS. Monday is a more a natural SS, but is better known for his plays in the box, but is no slouch in covering TEs as well.

5. Zonovan Knight (RB/NC State): Love Carter and Johnson... but we still probably need another back. Knight is a decent sized back and is good in all aspects of the game. Perine is barely used through 2 seasons... so I think we move on from him.

So overall I have us getting a starting OT in Neal, starting C in Lindy and starting LB in To'o To'o.

With potentially starting and for sure rotational players in DE Jackson and TE Billingsley.

So that's 5 big contributors for us as rookies potentially.

From what I read, Linderbaum is probably picked in 8-14 range.  I agree with you about Seattles final pick position.

With that in mind, who would you pick if Linderbaum is gone.  Will JD trade up, or go C with one of the second round

picks?  There is a second center who is very highly rated and should be there with one of the second round picks.

If JD opts to stay at 20(lets say for sake of argument) who would you pick there, and how would your picks be

through 20 and both 2nds?

3 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

From what I read, Linderbaum is probably picked in 8-14 range.  I agree with you about Seattles final pick position.

With that in mind, who would you pick if Linderbaum is gone.  Will JD trade up, or go C with one of the second round

picks?  There is a second center who is very highly rated and should be there with one of the second round picks.

If JD opts to stay at 20(lets say for sake of argument) who would you pick there, and how would your picks be

through 20 and both 2nds?

Hard to predict... but based on the boards I've looked at. That's a sweet spot for CBs like Gardner and Elam. Kenyon Green the OG for A&M who's a dominant OG like AVT is a great pick there too. But than that in this mock would make 3 out of our top 4 picks OLineman (assuming we go with Lindstrom with one of the 2nds). 

I absolutely love the first two picks, if we took those two players we would have a O line under twenty four years old, with tier one talent. I don't know much about the rest of your draft so I will take your word for it.

I am not muck of a mock draft guy but I love this one  A+

I like Neal but I just saw something about Bama OL prospects that would give me pause. Maybe not enough to NOT draft him, but enough to look into trading down a bit for a nice package.

Apparently, Bama OL have a pretty high bust rate in the NFL. I can’t help wonder if it is the system that makes them look so good like Bama QB’s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

If TYLER LINDERBAUM is drafted in the first round he will be the highest center drafted since Dave Rimington is the eighties, that I can remember. HE IS THAT GOOD.

You mean top 10 right? Just because a few centers have gone first round in that past 15 years I can remember. 

Yes you are right i could have worder that post better. This is only the second time in the NFL draft that a offensive center has been rated with the best offensive guards and tackles in the draft. The center position is so important he is the guy who anchors the O line. All i remember about Dave Rimington, was he got so much hype even back in the eighties. Something i didn't even know the trophy for offensive centers IN COLLEGE is called THE DAVE RIMINGTON TROPHY. The center position for the Jets has always been a strong point till now we had our share of outstanding centers.

Edited by doumeyer

I like the draft, but I would be very happy with this one double dipping at LB and S. The reasons should be obvious Maye's day's are numbered, our S position is depleted and our LB's are basically rentals and a few rookie unknowns at this time.

1. Leal DT/DE

2.Linderbalm C

3. Wydemyer TE

4. Leviticus Smith G

5. Jalon Catalon S

6. Isaiah Pola -Mao S

7. Kana'i Mauga LB

8. Myron Cunningham T

9. Brian Asamoah II LB

Heck we could double dip at TE, the fact of the matter is we need a major infusion of talent on this team. 

But I think if the Jets are smart and there are all these talented players available, I would be ecstatic if the Jets drafted down. 

On 11/14/2021 at 5:31 PM, Big T said:

I like the draft, but I would be very happy with this one double dipping at LB and S. The reasons should be obvious Maye's day's are numbered, our S position is depleted and our LB's are basically rentals and a few rookie unknowns at this time.

1. Leal DT/DE

2.Linderbalm C

3. Wydemyer TE

4. Leviticus Smith G

5. Jalon Catalon S

6. Isaiah Pola -Mao S

7. Kana'i Mauga LB

8. Myron Cunningham T

9. Brian Asamoah II LB

Heck we could double dip at TE, the fact of the matter is we need a major infusion of talent on this team. 

But I think if the Jets are smart and there are all these talented players available, I would be ecstatic if the Jets drafted down. 

We draft IDL in the top 10 again, I’ll go ballistic. Coaching is the issue with our DL, not personnel

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We draft IDL in the top 10 again, I’ll go ballistic. Coaching is the issue with our DL, not personnel

I agree but I also would not put it past Saleh to scream for a penetrating DT to pair with Q. I said this a couple of years ago that coaches love iDL more than fans. But I don’t think it would happen in 2022. EDGE or DB would be my guess. JFM can move inside.

Has anyone seen Hutchinson play this year?  Any objective thoughts?  I don’t like Michigan so I don’t watch them. 

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

I agree but I also would not put it past Saleh to scream for a penetrating DT to pair with Q. I said this a couple of years ago that coaches love iDL more than fans. But I don’t think it would happen in 2022. EDGE or DB would be my guess. JFM can move inside.

Has anyone seen Hutchinson play this year?  Any objective thoughts?  I don’t like Michigan so I don’t watch them. 

1) But coaches should also see how iDL has not worked and we have never had EDGE

2) At first I didn't want him, but he's a great skillset opposite Lawson if Lawson still has his explosiveness.  He brings a lot of what the defense is missing.  Start up front and trickle down to the rest of the defense.  Just need to grab a speedy LB and S too.