Garoppolo to San Francisco

Apparition

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

This point has more significance for Dorsett than Brissett. At least Brissett has potential, Dorsett is no better than a scrap heap replacement. Even when guys have been banged up he still doesnt contribute, we just run 1 WR sets...

What potential has he shown? 

He won 3 games in his entire career 

-against a winless Browns team

-against a winless 49'ers team 

-Texans team that got shut out by our defense. 

Thats not potential 

3 hours ago, iothar said:

This whole thing screams of mismanagement mixed with maybe Don Yee telling the Pats he ain't signing and telling certain teams who he would play for and resign with.

Not really. It just screams that the Patriots knew what they had and didn't want to make a decision until the last minute

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

What potential has he shown? 

He won 3 games in his entire career 

-against a winless Browns team

-against a winless 49'ers team 

-Texans team that got shut out by our defense. 

Thats not potential 

Have you watched the games?

35 minutes ago, iothar said:

No way you trade Brisket knowing you would do this.

I was pondering this. It's either that BB knew he was going to trade Jimmy mid-season and he simply didn't care if Jake Brisket was gone, OR he had every intention of trying to keep Jimmy past the deadline. 

I'm going for the first one, as I believe he intends on drafting a QB in the 3rd round again in April.

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I was pondering this. It's either that BB knew he was going to trade Jimmy mid-season and he simply didn't care if Jake Brisket was gone, OR he had every intention of trying to keep Jimmy past the deadline. 

I'm going for the first one, as I believe he intends on drafting a QB in the 3rd round again in April.

Just a weird rumor, but BB could have a transition plan of drafting a replacement QB who likes in this draft. Maybe moving up higher in the draft.

22 minutes ago, iothar said:

Just a weird rumor, but BB could have a transition plan of drafting a replacement QB who likes in this draft. Maybe moving up higher in the draft.

It's about the right time to draft Brady's replacement. Brady is going to go til he's 43-45, or he's going to kill himself trying. So we need a QB to blossom for 3-5 years. Perfect. 

I have no idea who that is though. Mayfield with the 2nd? 

1 hour ago, iothar said:

No way you trade Brisket knowing you would do this.

Probably not if you know Jimmy's definitely gone. But if you had choice between Hoyer and Brisett neither one is your future QB and Hoyer has more NFL experience and experience with the system. 

42 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Belichick has never shown any predisposition to holding onto a player too long.

Brady is quite literally doing something no one has ever done before - play at an elite level at age 40.

I am not buying for a second that Belichick believes Brady is immortal.

What was the plan for this off season?  Franchise Jimmy?  Impossible.  Franchise and trade?  We'd have to make major cap moves to be able to afford a tag and trade scenario.

It makes much more sense to me that Belichick was planning on trading Brady and running with Garrapolo and Kraft stepped in.

Would that even be possible? Who is going to trade for a 40 year old QB? There are no teams who are a QB away from perfect, except maybe the Broncos, and they would never send Brady to a conference rival. I don't believe that for a second.

They are 20-3 (incl. play offs) since Brady came back last year, and in that time they've won a SB and Brady has thrown 51 TDs and 7 INTs. Trading him would be absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

Belichick has never shown any predisposition to holding onto a player too long.

Brady is quite literally doing something no one has ever done before - play at an elite level at age 40.

I am not buying for a second that Belichick believes Brady is immortal.

What was the plan for this off season?  Franchise Jimmy?  Impossible.  Franchise and trade?  We'd have to make major cap moves to be able to afford a tag and trade scenario.

It makes much more sense to me that Belichick was planning on trading Brady and running with Garrapolo and Kraft stepped in.

Maybe a bridge contract? Reading stuff about making a contract back-loaded, meaning we MAY have been able to run both. I don't know. I think the only thing going through Bill's head was "need to keep Jimmy as long as possible, incase Tom falls off". Kept him for as long as he could.

This was just a tough situation. You have to look at it this way: When Jimmy was drafted, Brady just came off his 2013 season. The years preceding that were an injury that kept him out in 2008, one and done in the playoffs in 09, one and done in the playoffs in 2010, losing to the Giants again in 2011, falling victim to a Ravens team who had our number in 2012, losing to a Peyton Manning led team for the second time in an AFC title game. Then 2013 was Brady's worst season. That was a really unremarkable 7 year stretch for a QB with the expectations of Brady, doubly so when you compare his first 7 years to that. And 2013 really looked like it was the year Brady was taking a step back. So Jimmy was drafted, and then for 4 games in 2014 Brady looked like he was on the same pace (albeit a lot of that was unfair criticism that should have been reserved for the trenches). 

At that moment, the Patriots were likely thinking "Brady's got one or two more years left before the wheels come completely off, he's not trending the right way". I'm sure they knew he wasn't playing up to his level, but nobody saw him coming back with a vengeance the way he did and finishing the 2014 season with hellish run that propped him into the MVP race and then to win a Super Bowl, nobody thought he'd continue that in 2015 and 2016 playing arguably the best football of his career and earning another Super Bowl in the greatest fashion along the way.

Since game 4 of 2014 Brady got better, peaked in 2015, and then has held steady from then up to the present. 

Now you're getting to the point where you really can't hold Garoppolo off any more. Maybe they could have got a little more before the draft in a trade for him, maybe. But it's hard to look at Brady and move on from that without seeing some sort of chink in Brady's armor that he hasn't showed yet. 

Basically Brady just kept Jimmy from doing what he did to Bledsoe by playing great and winning Super Bowls.Timing sucked, but you can't fault Belichick from playing his hand until the last minute.

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

This was just a tough situation. You have to look at it this way: When Jimmy was drafted, Brady just came off his 2013 season. The years preceding that were an injury that kept him out in 2008, one and done in the playoffs in 09, one and done in the playoffs in 2010, losing to the Giants again in 2011, falling victim to a Ravens team who had our number in 2012, losing to a Peyton Manning led team for the second time in an AFC title game. Then 2013 was Brady's worst season. That was a really unremarkable 7 year stretch for a QB with the expectations of Brady, doubly so when you compare his first 7 years to that. And 2013 really looked like it was the year Brady was taking a step back. So Jimmy was drafted, and then for 4 games in 2014 Brady looked like he was on the same pace (albeit a lot of that was unfair criticism that should have been reserved for the trenches). 

At that moment, the Patriots were likely thinking "Brady's got one or two more years left before the wheels come completely off, he's not trending the right way". I'm sure they knew he wasn't playing up to his level, but nobody saw him coming back with a vengeance the way he did and finishing the 2014 season with hellish run that propped him into the MVP race and then to win a Super Bowl, nobody thought he'd continue that in 2015 and 2016 playing arguably the best football of his career and earning another Super Bowl in the greatest fashion along the way.

Since game 4 of 2014 Brady got better, peaked in 2015, and then has held steady from then up to the present. 

Now you're getting to the point where you really can't hold Garoppolo off any more. Maybe they could have got a little more before the draft in a trade for him, maybe. But it's hard to look at Brady and move on from that without seeing some sort of chink in Brady's armor that he hasn't showed yet. 

Basically Brady just kept Jimmy from doing what he did to Bledsoe by playing great and winning Super Bowls.Timing sucked, but you can't fault Belichick from playing his hand until the last minute.

Exactly 

I hate this move. I understand why they did it but I hate that it had to be done because I truly think JG is going to be an all-pro caliber QB. It’s also annoying because I have a friend who’s a hardcore Niners fan and I spent the weeks leading up to the draft explaining to him why the Niners should offer up multiple picks for JG and he kept balking at the idea of him being a franchise QB, but now he’s all gung-ho about it and sharing links to articles that talk up Garoppolo with film breakdowns that I showed him months ago.

Archived