Garoppolo to San Francisco

Apparition

10 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

In the offseason after the Pats win the SB, Belichick will sacrifice Brady to the same devil he sold his soul to in 2000, and bring back Jimmy G to complete his reign of terror.

I am trying to work out if there is a feasible way but I doubt it. We can really understand how difficult the decision to trade him was, even more than before. Bill knew he would play on this level and tried desperately to find a way to keep them both for another year. That would still have meant making an impossible decision next season. No right answers but boy, what a good problem to have.

Ironically enough, 49ers were the only team you could realistically see Brady switching to.

Jimmy Garoppolo is why there should be a loan system in the NFL. One loan per team, that's all. QBs only. I'm sure a team would still have been willing to loan Garoppolo under the wink wink, nod nod premise that they would have him each year until Brady retired. Even add a little seed that the situation is fluid and you might be able to trade for him after the first year of him proving himself on loan.

Jimmy is fine with it because he gets to play but knows deep down he's just getting ready to take over from Tom. Niners are happy because two or three years of Jimmy with a thought to getting a permanent deal done is more enticing than CJ Beathard.

Yeah it could never really work in the real world, but I'm just trying to figure out how to have Tom and Jimmy both as Pats, both playing and both happy!

On 12/25/2017 at 7:13 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

Jimmy Garoppolo is why there should be a loan system in the NFL. One loan per team, that's all. QBs only. I'm sure a team would still have been willing to loan Garoppolo under the wink wink, nod nod premise that they would have him each year until Brady retired. Even add a little seed that the situation is fluid and you might be able to trade for him after the first year of him proving himself on loan.

Jimmy is fine with it because he gets to play but knows deep down he's just getting ready to take over from Tom. Niners are happy because two or three years of Jimmy with a thought to getting a permanent deal done is more enticing than CJ Beathard.

Yeah it could never really work in the real world, but I'm just trying to figure out how to have Tom and Jimmy both as Pats, both playing and both happy!

Seems like that would heavily benefit teams that are already successful and screw players royally.

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Seems like that would heavily benefit teams that are already successful and screw players royally.

I don't think it could ever really be viable. In an ideal world you'd want to craft something where you can achieve the team loaning the player out to be content, the team getting the player on loan to be content, and the player himself to be content. A win-win-win situation.

Using the Pats and Garoppolo as an example. Pats loan him to a team in need like the Browns. Browns send a late pick that conditionally changes depending on the success he has that year. Pats are willing to do this to appease Jimmy with playing time as well as allow the Brady situation to continue to play out. Browns are willing to do this because the alternative is an 0-16 season, and perhaps this fluid situation results in Jimmy loving Cleveland and willing to stay open about a possible permanent trade should the Pats wish for it. Jimmy is willing to do this because he just wants to be on the field rather than sat on the bench.

Problems could occur with regards to cap issues, morality of holding the rights to a player whilst he performs for another team etc.

It might not be ideal but there are scenarios where all parties would be appeased and content whilst allowing the situation to play out. There's enough risk-reward involved for it to not be skewed towards one team only. Maybe the Browns loaning Jimmy would save them from having traded a haul for him if they find out he isn't what they thought he'd be. Maybe the Pats benefit from loaning him out because he develops well and his trade value rises immensely. There's enough fluidity in what could happen that it doesn't really feel like it's screwing over anyone in particular.

Tom will - in the effort to win one more with his childhood team - go to the Niners after his contract is up, once again relegating Jimmy to backup QB role. He’ll voice his desire for more playing time (behind closer doors, because he’s classy), and Shanahan will do right by him for raising this team from the dead and send him back to New England, where Darth Belichick finally substitues his old apprentice for the younger one.

I found the JG debate thread from the old forum where a few of us took on a bunch of Browns fans (among others) who were totally resistant to the idea of him being worth a first rounder in trade.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585431&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This is why Browns fans can't have nice things. I'm glad he didn't get sent there.

27 minutes ago, Starless said:

I found the JG debate thread from the old forum where a few of us took on a bunch of Browns fans (among others) who were totally resistant to the idea of him being worth a first rounder in trade.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585431&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This is why Browns fans can't have nice things. I'm glad he didn't get sent there.

Glad I never dove into that

3 hours ago, Starless said:

Sean McVay says the Rams will rest starters on Sunday against the Niners, which means that JG will likely end up running the table to finish the year and that draft pick is going to end up in the 40s instead of the 30s. :|

Well Jimmy was the 62nd pick, so 20 slot gain? I guess?

13 hours ago, Starless said:

Not me. I'm a Browns fan and I'm littered all over that thread and the one that was in the Browns forum, saying Jimmy G is great and easily worth first round picks plus.

There were some Browns fan that were naturally worried, and can you blame them? Being given flop after flop takes its toll on their psyche in ways you wouldn't understand and instills a natural pessimism and doubt. But there were also Browns fans that felt like me.

It seemed obvious enough, between his lightning release, ease at going through progressions, poise in the pocket and accuracy, that Jimmy Garoppolo deserved merit far beyond that of the convoluted 'Brady backup'. Learning behind Tom was just an added bonus to what would have been a fantastic QB regardless.

5 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Not me. I'm a Browns fan and I'm littered all over that thread and the one that was in the Browns forum, saying Jimmy G is great and easily worth first round picks plus.

There were some Browns fan that were naturally worried, and can you blame them? Being given flop after flop takes its toll on their psyche in ways you wouldn't understand and instills a natural pessimism and doubt. But there were also Browns fans that felt like me.

It seemed obvious enough, between his lightning release, ease at going through progressions, poise in the pocket and accuracy, that Jimmy Garoppolo deserved merit far beyond that of the convoluted 'Brady backup'. Learning behind Tom was just an added bonus to what would have been a fantastic QB regardless.

Yeah, I don't blame Browns fans at all. Especially because the Patriots have a bit of a history making backup QBs look decent and then selling high on them.

23 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Yeah, I don't blame Browns fans at all. Especially because the Patriots have a bit of a history making backup QBs look decent and then selling high on them.

What 'history'? Matt Cassel got flipped for a 2nd round pick. Other than him...?

Just heard a clip of Greg Bedard hinting at that the circumstances of JG's trade will be revealed this offseason and there is a bit more to it than just Belichick just decided to trade him then.  An interviewer said something along the lines of "my guess is that Kraft intervened and said Brady is staying" and Bedard responded with a non-answer that basically said yes.  

45 minutes ago, G-McDog said:

Is it looking like a mistake to trade JG? He's looking awesome and Brady's not looked the best!! 

Na. Right move, win win trade. Saw a tweet saying BB doesn't look to outright win trades but wants win win so teams are more willing to trade with the pats. Interesting to me at least. Seems so right but I always thought you tried to steal players.

Archived