Better WR: Larry Fitzgerald or Antonio Brown

mdonnelly21

Better WR: Larry Fitzgerald or Antonio Brown   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Better WR: Larry Fitzgerald or Antonio Brown

• AB
    • Larry Fitzgerald

19 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Brown was also a better route-runner and better at getting separation, pretty important WR traits.

You know what are also pretty important WR traits?  Not being an absolute nut job. 

But who knows maybe that was all just a ploy to get attention to launch his crap music career.  

He got more separation sure but that is because he is faster and much smaller.  Faster in and out of cuts but so what.  One player is a professional from start to finish, the other one well kind of blew it and his career is almost done and most likely he will be remembered for the odd things during he his nut job period, not the good routes he ran at times.  

Larry Fitzgerald had a longer career, more consistency, more production with less consistency around him in the organization and at QB than Antonio Brown had.  Would be shocked if AB makes it to 37 years old and playing in the NFL based on how much he gets hurt and is hurt currently, but oh yeah has that rap career to fall back on.  "Whole lotta Money" , he better thank auto tune for that garbage, guess anyone can sing a song when a computer changes your voice, even with the auto tune it is still crap.  Maybe he should have put out some more crazy videos to get more attention for himself.    

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

Imagine coming into a thread asking about a players peak/prime, and then arguing peak/prime shouldn't matter, and making the majority of your argument about longevity, and things that happened after said players peak/prime, brushing off anything the other player was clearly better at.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Brown was the better athlete, Fitzgerald the better WR.

True, what Antonio Brown did at Central Michigan was absolutely nuts, he was such a productive return man as a kick returner and punt returner.  If he would have stayed for his senior season probably could have broke the all time kick return yardage mark in NCAA history and got up there for punt returns.  Clearly was not around a ton of talent on the team either but was a must watch player and a real standout in the MAC.  As a 6th round pick he has done amazing things in his career no question.

But Larry Fitzgerald was a super star top 5 pick from his RS FR year.  Two totally different careers in how they started out.  Both great players but still what AB has done off the field really takes him down a peg compared to what Larry Fitzgerald did.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He got more separation sure but that is because he is faster and much smaller.  Faster in and out of cuts but so what. 

I'm confused lol so him being better at getting separation is nullified because he has a better skill-set at getting separation?  How in the world does that make sense?

You can't just say "so what."  Those are absolutely, 100% important traits for a WR.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Imagine coming into a thread asking about a players peak/prime, and then arguing peak/prime shouldn't matter, and making the majority of your argument about longevity, and things that happened after said players peak.

Imagine comparing two players based on their best season and best season only, that is just flat out stupid and a waste of time.  It is obviously a biased of flawed poll if you start it off with a exception. 

Just now, iknowcool said:

I'm confused lol so him being better at getting separation is nullified because he has a better skill-set at getting separation?  How in the world does that make sense?

Just because you get separation does not mean they are a better route runner it just means they are faster.  Take away Brown's speed and no way he gets that type of separation because it is not dependent on his route running it is on this speed and overall athletic ability.  Yes Antonio Brown is faster than Larry Fitzgerald, that does not mean he is better at running routes.  Larry had better hands, better route running, better blocking and obviously more production and consistency throughout his entire career.  But no, with Antonio Brown just look at 2013-2018 then close your eyes and pretend nothing else ever happened.  

Antonio Brown is faster, was more explosive and better at run after the catch, honestly so what.  Does not mean he is a better receiver if one was starting a team.  There is a reason why Larry Fitzgerald was the #3 pick overall.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Imagine comparing two players based on their best season and best season only, that is just flat out stupid and a waste of time.  It is obviously a biased of flawed poll if you start it off with a exception. 

That's literally the topic of the thread. Comparing peaks and primes are actually remarkably common. If you don't like it, don't post in here or make your own thread comparing careers. 

• Like 1

I'd argue if anything, Larry Fitzgerald benefited more from his physical skill-set than AB did.

Brown was as good as he was because he perfected everything you wanted out of a WR.  There is absolutely nothing that Brown couldn't do.  Not an area of the field he didn't excel in.  Not a route he couldn't run as good or better than anyone else.  Great hands.  Confidence and precision in everything he did allowed him to play so much faster than everyone else, even though he didn't have elite speed.  

I'm not suggesting Brown was some mediocre athlete or anything, but I feel certain that his greatness had a lot more to do with how well he learned and perfected the WR details than his athleticism.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Just because you get separation does not mean they are a better route runner it just means they are faster.  Take away Brown's speed and no way he gets that type of separation because it is not dependent on his route running it is on this speed and overall athletic ability.  

No disrespect, but what a stupid argument.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'd argue if anything, Larry Fitzgerald benefited more from his physical skill-set than AB did.

Brown was as good as he was because he perfected everything you wanted out of a WR.  There is absolutely nothing that Brown couldn't do.  Not an area of the field he didn't excel in.  Not a route he couldn't run as good or better than anyone else.  Great hands.  Confidence and precision in everything he did allowed him to play so much faster than everyone else, even though he didn't have elite speed.  

I'm not suggesting Brown was some mediocre athlete or anything, but I feel certain that his greatness had a lot more to do with how well he learned and perfected the WR details than his athleticism.  

So basically he is the best receiver of all time based on this clap trap.

Antonio Brown has blazing speed and obviously is great at making defenders miss in the open field with his quickness and change of direction ability.  Sure he is no Randy Moss or something but dude can run and run very well.  To pretend this is all just because he is a good hard worker and works on his craft more than others, BS on that one.  Oh and he went to one of the most stable organizations in the history of football and had a HOF QB throw him the ball basically the entire time he was on that team.  That had nothing to do with his success?  Oh and his other Super bowl he only has the best QB of all time throw him the ball, that has nothing to do with his success either?

But go ahead and think he is the most perfect receiver ever known to man and go with that one.  

You clearly love the dude, that is fine, go buy his crap song or something.  

11 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

That's literally the topic of the thread. Comparing peaks and primes are actually remarkably common. If you don't like it, don't post in here or make your own thread comparing careers. 

Remarkably common?  Ok you go ahead and compare players peaks as if that even means anything, Hall of Fame ballots are based off of a dudes peak 2-3 years and that is it?  How about no.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Remarkably common?  Ok you go ahead and compare players peaks as if that even means anything, Hall of Fame ballots are based off of a dudes peak 2-3 years and that is it?  How about no.

Yes, it's remarkably common. The bolded is completely irrelevant. Quit while you're behind.

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

You clearly love the dude, that is fine, go buy his crap song or something.  

Funny you say that, because I was literally just thinking how you are the only one letting their personal feelings get involved in this debate.

Brown is a good athlete.  But nothing special.  There are plenty of receivers who are better athletes than Brown.  Including Fitzgerald.  Fitzgerald, especially in the mid-2000s, fit the WR mold FAR more than Brown did.  A 5'10 elite receiver might not be as unusual now, but it was back then.  

But there is probably not much more I can say.  After all, you clearly seem to think that taking away from someone's physical skill-set is a rational argument lol

Would Shaquille O'Neal be as good as he was if he was 6'2 instead of whatever height he was?  Guess that must mean Shaq won't all that good.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Seriously though, how does being a better athlete (if that is what we're going to argue for Brown, even if I disagree) work against a player than for a player?

Seriously though, how does going to a ridiculously stable and well ran organization playing for a future HOF QB not matter in the success you have as a receiver?  So you do not recall the list I gave you of Arizona QBs Larry Fitzgerald had, so pick some things to argue then ignore others I see.

You feel AB is a better route runner because he gets more separation.  I do not call that route running, I call it a smaller receiver that is better in and out of cuts because he is smaller and more athletic and nimble.  If that is route running to you sure, Larry is not as quick in and out of breaks so had to be even more precise in his route running especially since he did not get as much separation because his change of direction was not good or his speed in a short area.  Brown had way more short area quickness which obviously helped him in the return game and as a receiver in general.

Either way love that guy, I do not really care.  Just to me his career is forever tainted with how nuts he has acted at times, same can be said for Terrell Owens.    Sure both are great receivers but are more than mentally unstable at times during their career and well after their career is over as for TO and sure Brown will follow right in line.  Where as say Randy Moss who had some issues in the NFL off the field, he now seems ridiculously well adjusted and charismatic after his career.  

Maybe that is what you get with AB and TO, who are low drafted guys who constantly were fighting for attention, guess that is what you get.  Sure they had successful careers but yeah they are pretty damn off mentally and that is saying something when most receivers are "divas" those two are beyond a diva and are really something else entirely.  Both could of had much better careers overall but both near the end went kind of off the rails honestly.  TO had some impressive QBs as well but he had to put up with a lot more random guys and constant change compared to Antonio Brown who was in a pretty damn ideal situation I say again.