A Thought Experiment On Changes To Make

Thaiphoon

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I just have to say, Russell gets treated like crap by most of this fan base and has been hired and fired by both local radio stations but I personally tend to agree with most of his takes. He seems to be on the right track here, and I agree with that he said in the past about the defensive coordinator’s who were made out to be scapegoats when anyone with half a brain could look at that starting line up and see at best we’d be average, anything else was an unrealistic expectation and then for fans to get upset because they weren’t top 10 w/o even top 15 talent didn’t make sense at all.

Right now - Anderson is pretty much a North to South kinda guy. He can get you something towards the QB and maybe give you some help dropping back but moving laterally he just looks lost. So someday maybe he catches on or they just use him in spot duty (for now) on the outside but not much use on the inside. Possibly if they practiced him up he might do well on the inside but not what he can do today. 

Don't know if it's that mind-numbing to see him as a FB. Most college FB's get converted to LB at the pro level so going the other way no huge surprise. On the other hand, Jay said when Scot drafted a FB, 'I never had a FB so I don't know how to use one.' That's our Gruden! But an interesting experiment with Anderson. Wouldn't give up on it just yet.

9 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

Right now - Anderson is pretty much a North to South kinda guy. He can get you something towards the QB and maybe give you some help dropping back but moving laterally he just looks lost. So someday maybe he catches on or they just use him in spot duty (for now) on the outside but not much use on the inside. Possibly if they practiced him up he might do well on the inside but not what he can do today. 

Don't know if it's that mind-numbing to see him as a FB. Most college FB's get converted to LB at the pro level so going the other way no huge surprise. On the other hand, Jay said when Scot drafted a FB, 'I never had a FB so I don't know how to use one.' That's our Gruden! But an interesting experiment with Anderson. Wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Anderson has been a huge disappointment. I believe he will get it. But right now he just doesn’t. The fact we have a 2nd round pick playing FB is maddening. If I was the redskins I would just trade a decade worth of 2nd round picks forjust about anything other then what they would plan on using it for!!!!

On 12/14/2017 at 10:41 PM, SeattleSkin said:

When did Scot draft a FB? And Gruden had DY and used him a lot in 2014.

22 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Anderson has been a huge disappointment. I believe he will get it. But right now he just doesn’t. The fact we have a 2nd round pick playing FB is maddening. If I was the redskins I would just trade a decade worth of 2nd round picks forjust about anything other then what they would plan on using it for!!!!

He’s stuck on the depth chart behind 3 vets - before Murphy got hurt it was 4 vets - I told people from the get go he wasn’t going to play much. People were right that we should have drafted Zach Cunningham and if we had, he would have started after Foster got hurt and would be our starting ILB next year and going forward. We badly need to draft an ILB in the first 3 rounds next year. I like Spaight and JHC’s potential but I’m not sold on them as starters.

The problem is he was supposed to be nfl ready.  He was a low ceiling high floor prospect who was supposed to be able to contribute right away.  I think that’s a pretty bad job by the coaching staff.  Anderson is a guy that played 3-4 LBer in college so it’s not like he’s leaning a new position.  The staff must be putting too much stuff in his head.  Just let the kid get out there and play.

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The problem is he was supposed to be nfl ready.  He was a low ceiling high floor prospect who was supposed to be able to contribute right away.  I think that’s a pretty bad job by the coaching staff.  Anderson is a guy that played 3-4 LBer in college so it’s not like he’s leaning a new position.  The staff must be putting too much stuff in his head.  Just let the kid get out there and play.

There aren’t any snaps for him. It’s really why I didn’t want to draft an OLB last year because we had Kerrigan, Smith, Galette and Murphy already. Drafting an OLB in round 2 was a mistake made by the front office, not the coaching staff. I like Anderson as a player, if there were snaps for him he’d be an elite run defender on the edge as he showed he could be on some plays this year like in the saints game but I doubt he’s ever better than an average pass rusher. I don’t see double digit sacks in his future even with a guy like Allen pushing the pocket.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:21 AM, turtle28 said:

I just have to say, Russell gets treated like crap by most of this fan base and has been hired and fired by both local radio stations but I personally tend to agree with most of his takes.

Because he's an arrogant blowhard. The fact his analysis is on point is somewhat irrelevant when his attitude comes across as "holier/smarter than thou."

He seems to be on the right track here, and I agree with that he said in the past about the defensive coordinator’s who were made out to be scapegoats when anyone with half a brain could look at that starting line up and see at best we’d be average

If they were average or at least sub-average (20-24 range), then yes, the talent levels would be the main culprit. The problem is that those DCs led at best the bottom four defenses, and occasionally were historically bad. So, yeah, talent sucked, but so did the coaching staff.

One point does not negate the other. This is another reason why Russell is hated and gets fired regularly: he won't admit he's wrong/accept other viewpoints that don't conform to his views.

anything else was an unrealistic expectation and then for fans to get upset because they weren’t top 10 w/o even top 15 talent didn’t make sense at all.

I never once called for top 10 defense. I asked for league average. I bemoaned that we gave up being a top 10 defense in the naughts for a 3-4 system that has NEVER panned out for us, but I was willing to accept that it wouldn't be as good as the 2000s defense if it was just average.

It has never been average.

EVER.

Again, yes, the talent level has been poor. That's only slowly being fixed, and being done by a clueless moron who won't be able to do it right, but hey, they're trying!

But to willfully ignore the lack of preparation or in game planning for the DCs is also myopic.

On 12/16/2017 at 6:00 AM, turtle28 said:

He’s stuck on the depth chart behind 3 vets - before Murphy got hurt it was 4 vets - I told people from the get go he wasn’t going to play much.

And it's why I questioned the pick.

If you have 3 veterans at the position and have spent two* picks in the past three years at the position, why waste draft value at the position again?

It's another reason I expect Allen to continue to ruin have no faith in Allen running this franchise.

* Since Su'a Cravens was also drafted as a LB in the 2nd, you could argue it was 3 for 3, but he was arguably targeted to be more of a floating LB/S, not as an edge rusher.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:42 AM, turtle28 said:

There aren’t any snaps for him. It’s really why I didn’t want to draft an OLB last year because we had Kerrigan, Smith, Galette and Murphy already. Drafting an OLB in round 2 was a mistake made by the front office, not the coaching staff. I like Anderson as a player, if there were snaps for him he’d be an elite run defender on the edge as he showed he could be on some plays this year like in the saints game but I doubt he’s ever better than an average pass rusher. I don’t see double digit sacks in his future even with a guy like Allen pushing the pocket.

BS. There's no snaps in these last two weeks? Why is Junior Galette out there? Is he part of some long term plan? At least put Anderson out there for a first or second down package!

On 11/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, Woz said:

Okay, I'll bite: explain why Patricia would be a good choice.

Because he just does what Belicheck tells him to do?  I have no faith that Patricia will be a good Hc. Belicheck runs that defense, not his coordinators. Remember Romeo Crenell as a HC? Failure in CLE & Kansas City

On 12/18/2017 at 5:56 PM, Woz said:

Because he's an arrogant blowhard. The fact his analysis is on point is somewhat irrelevant when his attitude comes across as "holier/smarter than thou."

If they were average or at least sub-average (20-24 range), then yes, the talent levels would be the main culprit. The problem is that those DCs led at best the bottom four defenses, and occasionally were historically bad. So, yeah, talent sucked, but so did the coaching staff.

One point does not negate the other. This is another reason why Russell is hated and gets fired regularly: he won't admit he's wrong/accept other viewpoints that don't conform to his views.

I never once called for top 10 defense. I asked for league average. I bemoaned that we gave up being a top 10 defense in the naughts for a 3-4 system that has NEVER panned out for us, but I was willing to accept that it wouldn't be as good as the 2000s defense if it was just average.

It has never been average.

EVER.

Again, yes, the talent level has been poor. That's only slowly being fixed, and being done by a clueless moron who won't be able to do it right, but hey, they're trying!

But to willfully ignore the lack of preparation or in game planning for the DCs is also myopic.

You put the same exact talent we’ve had on defense from 2010 until now in a 4-3 and it wouldn’t have been any better than it actually was because the talent level and injuries kept our defense from being better than below average - except in 2011 when we actually had a lot of talent -  this decade. To argue anything different is ridiculous.  

On 12/18/2017 at 6:03 PM, Woz said:

BS. There's no snaps in these last two weeks? Why is Junior Galette out there? Is he part of some long term plan? At least put Anderson out there for a first or second down package!

I hope Galette is at least someone they’d like to try to re-sign. My point was over the course of the season.  Anderson has been getting some snaps, but certainly true now he could be/should be getting more over guys like Galette and especially Kerrigan. It’s not like we need to see more of Kerrigan to evaluate him. They should split snaps at LOLB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 5:28 AM, turtle28 said:

You put the same exact talent we’ve had on defense from 2010 until now in a 4-3 and it wouldn’t have been any better than it actually was because the talent level and injuries kept our defense from being better than below average - except in 2011 when we actually had a lot of talent -  this decade. To argue anything different is ridiculous.  

How many of the guys did the Redskins draft/sign come from playing in a 4-3? Most high schools and colleges play a 4-3, as do about half of the NFL (and if memory serves, most of the teams we signed talent away from).

In order to have someone overcome years of training in one system, you have to have good teachers. The Redskins have not had good teachers. That puts the talent at a disadvantage.

We can play the "what if" game until the cows come home, and never convince each other. I have at least granted the fact that the talent the team acquired was not good/ignored for too long. As far as I can remember, you have never admitted that the coaching staff(s) have been an issue. Isn't it strange that both Haslett and Barry had to go back to being position coaches instead of DCs after they left Washington (Haslett was last a LB coach in '96; Barry only went two years before dropping back down to positional)? If they were good coordinators, wouldn't they have gotten a shot somewhere that isn't the insanity circus that is DC?

Archived