State of the Browns report 11/15

46 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Can you put me in for defensive so that I beat the crap out Rodgers,Roethlisberger,Burrows,and Lamar every time he gets in the shotgun I due a 9man blitz and I pick up the tab for the fines like George Allen of the old redskins

If it were up to me I'd write a blank check and unleash you on the football world. I would win GM of the year.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JDD said:

Not get blown out in games. If the Browns lose last week 17-10 or 24-17 I wouldn't have even been that upset. The Pats were 6/6 on third down with a rookie QB. That is 100% unacceptable. 

I don't think KS needs to give up the play calling. I think he needs to stay on track and pound the ball inside of the 10. 

I don't think they fire Joe Woods in season, I wouldn't be against it though at this point. 

As for who the team needs to add for next year, DE should be priority #1 if Clowney is gone. Then WR in the draft and FA. LB needs to be found in FA if possible and draft one day 2 or 4th round

I think the minute we are not in the Playoff hunt he gets made the scapegoat.

10 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If it were up to me I'd write a blank check and unleash you on the football world. I would win GM of the year.

Everything else aside who on the defensive line due you really like

Myself I like Jordan dt Georgia if we are in position to draft him I will stop doing smiling emoji.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Everything else aside who on the defensive line due you really like

I honestly haven't watched a ton of defensive lineman snaps this year. So far I like Leal, of course, Davis (though I'm concerned he might not have a lot to add on third down), Perrion Winfrey, and Karlaftis/Myjai Sanders if we go edge. But honestly I don't feel confident in my assessments at this point. By draft time I'll have a better feel.

4 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Myself I like Jordan dt Georgia if we are in position to draft him I will stop doing smiling emoji.

Please Mike, don't stop.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Well, a scapegoat implies that one is being disproportionately blamed, but I believe he deserves a ton of blame.

Sorry to me Van pelt and the wr coach or berry has some blame

But the complete lack of growth by are young wide receivers is the reason why if we don't make it to the playoffs.

I mean are roi in wide receivers given 2 record setting years is more of a problem. 

Had berry drafted the best of the wide receivers it would be us not kansas city

Being talked about

We got fair value  back but only in what will probably be a record crop of wide receivers. 

29 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Sorry to me Van pelt and the wr coach or berry has some blame

Agreed. Our receiving corps had been one of the worst for a while now. They shouldn't have bet so hard that Odell would carry the squad. 

Personally, I wouldn't really blame Van Pelt and the WR coach so much. We have later round rookies, a sixth rounder from last year, Austin Hooper being average at best, and a diminishing Jarvis Landry. I just don't think we have much talent yet and expecting guys like Schwartz--late third rounder who is 21 and raw--and Demetric Felton to contribute in a big way right away doesn't seem realistic to expect. I blame Berry more for not addressing the receiving corps.

But the complete lack of growth by are young wide receivers is the reason why if we don't make it to the playoffs.

On offense I'd say this is a big part of it. Folks are ripping on Baker, but I saw a lot of drops/inability to bring in tough catches by our guys and the Patriots nobodies making difficult catch after difficult catch. Some of that I put on development and some on our guys just not being very good at this point. 

I mean are roi in wide receivers given 2 record setting years is more of a problem. 

Had berry drafted the best of the wide receivers it would be us not kansas city

Being talked about

Agreed. I'm sure we'll go hard to upgrade our weapons next season. Hopefully this season turns around.

We got fair value  back but only in what will probably be a record crop of wide receivers. 

We missed out on some gems last year, but Schwartz has extremely high upside and Felton is already showing some flashes. I still don't like a lot of the play calling, which falls on our coach.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

@mtmmike, all that said, I still believe that Joe Woods is the biggest problem, despite all of what you said being true about the offense. I don't think he's fixable and thus he needs to go.

I am not saying your wrong.

But if we fall next year it will be because of the complete wiff on Wr.

Loop Waiting GIF

33 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

@mtmmike, all that said, I still believe that Joe Woods is the biggest problem, despite all of what you said being true about the offense. I don't think he's fixable and thus he needs to go.

I am not saying your wrong.

But if we fall next year it will be because of the complete wiff on Wr.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:57 AM, #32 said:

Let us look at the Browns from special teams, offense, and defense point of reference!

For special teams, McG has been very good.  Scottish hammer has been below average and one of the worst net average.  Schwartz and Felton have been average but no turnovers.  Kickoff and punts have been average with too many penalties and no turnovers.

On offense Browns have scored 17 or less points in four of the last six games losing 4 out of six.  Maybe time for Van Pelt to call plays.  The scripted plays for first possession work but after that NO ADJUSTMENTS.  Mayfield is not consistent.  Passing game is weak with no solutions in sight.  Running game is solid. Play calling is below average.

On defense, very inconsistent and too predictable with zone coverages which DO NOT WORK against competent QB.  No blitz packages or disguised blitz to fool the opposing QB as plain vanilla schemes.  Woods is on an island as Stefanski does not coach him up because he spends all of his time calling plays.  Our defense is ranked at near the bottom in every category.  They do not tackle properly.  They do not force turnovers.  They do not adjust.  Woods needs to change or get terminated.

Unless changes are made the season is over for this .500 team.

What do you think?

No, Stefanski leaves Woods on an island because he constantly abandons the run and goes 5 wide with a battered QB. Stefanski doesn't realize that teams are going to CONTINUE to give you these so called advantageous looks because they know our passing game is our weakness, also going for it on 4th down with a passing game that doesn't work. This turns into constant 3,4 and outs and more times the defense has to defend, this is unfair to the defense (Not giving them a free pass of course)