2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Not at all, and have never suggested that. I dont think hes going to break, my point is, if he is going to, it will happen regardless. QBs get hit, you cant bubble wrap him 

And many of us think we have been doing that, in a realistic approach. You continue to act like the only way to do that is sign 5 lineman to $15m per year contracts. 

The change in scheme is a huge step in that direction, you dont seem to believe that, and us explaining it hasnt seemed to change your mind.

A major upgrade at Center is another, the position I believe is the most crucial along the line Patrick isnt some would beater, but he is solid and reliable with a nasty demeanor who isnt going to let anything happen to his QB. That right there is miles better than what we had previous (and if we would end up with Tretter, it would be an upgrade to the upgrade).

I don’t want a bunch of 15/season OLmen signed. Although Armstead at 15/season would have been a steal.

I want a solid veterans at every spot on the OL. 

We added Patrick and lost Daniels… that is essentially treading water. I want some forward movement on the line.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Scheme will help a ton.

But talent is more important than scheme. 

You have to have guys who can win 1 on 1s.

Completely disagree. Majorly disagree. Scheme is way more important, you are locked into this idea that its just man up 1v1 all the time. Thats just not how a good offensive line works

So this is something that I have been thinking about in reference to this debate about the offensive line. It is in fact a huge need and we, as fans, are hyper-fixated on getting it retooled. I get it because in a lot of ways I feel the same way. However, Poles is responsible for retooling the ENTIRE team, not just the OL and we have a **** ton of wholes. I know most of us don't care but he HAS care.  I would suspect, like most businesses, he has budgeted out most positions on the team. We have gone from Pace who collected names like it was fantasy football and signed them to large contracts with reckless abandon to someone who is being a responsible adult. The process will be slow but this is the hand the Pace left us with and if we hope to break the cycle of bad contracts and no draft capital then I feel this is the proper approach. Gentlemen, this is not going to be pretty, but it is going to be necessary.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Completely disagree. Majorly disagree. Scheme is way more important, you are locked into this idea that its just man up 1v1 all the time. Thats just not how a good offensive line works

The scheme helps. But when the ball is snapped it is guys needing to win 1 on 1.

The scheme will provide some advantages and hide some flaws, but you still need guys to win individual battles.

It is why really good OLmen get paid, they win 1 on 1s.

12 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

So this is something that I have been thinking about in reference to this debate about the offensive line. It is in fact a huge need and we, as fans, are hyper-fixated on getting it retooled. I get it because in a lot of ways I feel the same way. However, Poles is responsible for retooling the ENTIRE team, not just the OL and we have a **** ton of wholes. I know most of us don't care but he HAS care.  I would suspect, like most businesses, he has budgeted out most positions on the team. We have gone from Pace who collected names like it was fantasy football and signed them to large contracts with reckless abandon to someone who is being a responsible adult. The process will be slow but this is the hand the Pace left us with and if we hope to break the cycle of bad contracts and no draft capital then I feel this is the proper approach. Gentlemen, this is not going to be pretty, but it is going to be necessary.

Positions get prioritized.

OL should be the priority, because Fields is the priority.

I don’t think it has been the priority to this point which is weird.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Positions get prioritized.

OL should be the priority, because Fields is the priority.

I don’t think it has been the priority to this point which is weird.

It's weird because it is OUR priority. Do you know what they feel are THEIR priorities. Chances are they feel like this is one of many.

3 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

It's weird because it is OUR priority. Do you know what they feel are THEIR priorities. Chances are they feel like this is one of many.

It’s common senses priority.

You have a young QB who got the hell beat out of him last season. Our entire future is tied to whether Fields succeeds. He needs to be protected. This isn’t reinventing the wheel, you can’t let your QB get beat to hell.

Edited by WindyCity

Just now, WindyCity said:

It’s common senses priority.

You have a young QB who got the hell beat out of him last season. Our entire future is tied to whether Fields succeeds. He needs to be protected 

Well, "common sense" is a relative term based upon which group of individuals you are talking about just like priorities are different based about which individuals you are talking about. Your argument, just like mine, is very subjective.

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

Well, "common sense" is a relative term based upon which group of individuals you are talking about just like priorities are different based about which individuals you are talking about. Your argument, just like mine, is very subjective.

Poles openly criticized the OL twice publicly when he was hired.

I am not sure how we can think he doesn’t see what the rest of the world sees.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Poles openly criticized the OL twice publicly when he was hired.

I am not sure how we can think he doesn’t see what the rest of the world sees.

No one has said that he hasn't. But that doesn't mean that he doesn't feel the need to address other glaring issues.

Just now, Bigbear72 said:

No one has said that he hasn't. But that doesn't mean that he doesn't feel the need to address other glaring issues.

Sure. He isn’t going to ignore other spots.

But his criticism of the OL and the lack of moves do not line up for me. If the line sucks, like he said, then address it more aggressively.

58 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Date doesn’t matter. Available talent does.

This isn’t the Apple section at the grocery store, it doesn’t get restocked every night.

Why wait to sort through the bruises and discarded ones with something this important?

We disagree on what the available talent is. And what reasonable expectations are. And the caliber of what’s already here. And how what we have will be used. And what should be expected of a rookie picked in the top 50. You probably don’t have green as your favorite color either.