2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

A good 3 tech absolutely makes your secondary better...being able to rotate them in and out only makes it better.

It won’t cover up for having a bad secondary. 

You need to have money invested and talent at all levels of the defense. Over investing in the DL just leaves you weaker elsewhere.

Having a good DL rotation isn’t covering for Kindle Vildor getting torched.

Just now, WindyCity said:

It won’t cover up for having a bad secondary. 

You need to have money invested and talent at all levels of the defense. Over investing in the DL just leaves you weaker elsewhere.

Having a good DL rotation isn’t covering for Kindle Vildor getting torched.

There is no doubt it massively helps...

And again we have plenty of money to sign and then draft DBs...again big picture.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Not a single one of those players would have the same impact on this team as Ogunjobi would...

For guys like that we could still sign them give the cap space we have.

They would have a greater impact. Each of those players would be replacing a BAD player.

The less bad players on the field the better your team is.

Ogunjobi would be taking reps away from your other biggest free agent signing.

Just now, WindyCity said:

They would have a greater impact. Each of those players would be replacing a BAD player.

The less bad players on the field the better your team is.

Ogunjobi would be taking reps away from your other biggest free agent signing.

I will take the word of the coach who says it is one of the three key positions in his defence thanks...

Bottom line here is we have plenty of resources left to improve this team.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

There is no doubt it massively helps...

And again we have plenty of money to sign and then draft DBs...again big picture.

We don’t have plenty of money and picks.

We are already needing to draft WR and OL early. How many positions are we going to draft early?

Over investing in pass rush did not work for the last regime. Having 3 DTs getting paid is a luxury that a rebuilding team doesn’t have.

I will take the word of the coach who says it is one of the three key positions in his defence thanks...

Bottom line here is we have plenty of resources left to improve this team.

And we already signed a 3 technique for him. I am not saying it isn’t important, I am saying it has already been addressed.

We have 16 million in cap space and need to sign 7-8 players still.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

We don’t have plenty of money and picks.

We are already needing to draft WR and OL early. How many positions are we going to draft early?

Over investing in pass rush did not work for the last regime. Having 3 DTs getting paid is a luxury that a rebuilding team doesn’t have.

We still have $16 million in cap space and at least 6 picks plus the ability to sign UDFA and FAs who are released between now and the start of the season...I have no panic at all over our ability to fill this roster with high upside players.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

And we already signed a 3 technique for him. I am not saying it isn’t important, I am saying it has already been addressed.

We have 16 million in cap space and need to sign 7-8 players still.

It's been addressed with a player who clearly wasn't his first choice and has an injury history...I don't believe Edwards is good enough if he goes down to have the same sort of impact...

That is still plenty of money to sign these guys...look at how the market is right now.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

I get what you're saying, but let's step back and look at what we currently have:

Starting QB: Justin Fields

Starting RB: David Montgomery

RB Depth: Khalil Herbert, Darrynton Evans

Passing Game Targets: Darnell Mooney, Cole Kmet, Byron Pringle, David Montgomery (61.2% of target were dispersed among 4 players)

Offensive Line: Teven Jenkins/Cody Whitehair/Patrick Lucas/OPEN/Larry Borom

You have options here... one of Jenkins/Borom can play RG if need be, or both play OT and you draft your RG, etc.

Get a WR in the draft and address RG/OT and you're "fine". It's not as bad as some are making it out to be.

Would anyone revisit the recent DK Metcalf rumors & offer one of our 2022 2nd's and a 2023 2nd?
Then after this season we FT him in lieu of a 5 year extension. He Has WR1 upside.

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's been addressed with a player who clearly wasn't his first choice and has an injury history...I don't believe Edwards is good enough if he goes down to have the same sort of impact...

That is still plenty of money to sign these guys...look at how the market is right now.

If they really wanted Larry O back, then rushing to give Justin Jones 6/season was a mistake. They should have been more patient.

Instead, if Larry O does come back, we will have a 6 million dollar backup and a 4 million dollar 3rd string DT. That’s being over invested.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Would anyone revisit the recent DK Metcalf rumors & offer one of our 2022 2nd's and a 2023 2nd?
Then after this season we FT him in lieu of a 5 year extension. He Has WR1 upside.

I would give up 39 our 2nd next year and pay him 5/100 tomorrow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If they really wanted Larry O back, then rushing to give Justin Jones 6/season was a mistake. They should have been more patient.

Instead, if Larry O does come back, we will have a 6 million dollar backup and a 4 million dollar 3rd string DT. That’s being over invested.

It wouldn't have been due to the fact Ogunjobi could have gone elsewhere...

You can never over invest in pass rushers especially when they are young and talented.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It wouldn't have been due to the fact Ogunjobi could have gone elsewhere...

You can never over invest in pass rushers especially when they are young and talented.

I disagree. We just lived through being over invested on the DL. You need balance.

Big picture that money could be better spent on offense. If you want the best return on investment use it to build around the only guy in the franchise who really matters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I disagree. We just lived through being over invested on the DL. You need balance.

Big picture that money could be better spent on offense. If you want the best return on investment use it to build around the only guy in the franchise who really matters.

Okay so if that's the case let's only use one of the two 2nd round picks on offence and sign some average guard.

Okay so if that's the case let's only use one of the two 2nd round picks on offence and sign some average guard.

They should use both picks on offense. The talent on this team is still massively unbalanced to the defense.

We are still spending 23 million more on our defense this season than our offense. This is after years of over investing under Pace.

Whatever money is budgeted for defense should be spread through the defense.