2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

“Doesn’t do anything for you” is… certainly a take.

*Edit*

Misread “everything” as “anything”. 🤦‍♂️

Usually a player that expensive should be a compete player. That’s a top 10 salary and a big guarantee.

I know pass rush is the more important skill, but at that price point you would hope that you were getting a more complete player.

That’s before you even get to the health issue. 

I don’t think anyone before we signed Ogunjobi would have said he deserved a top 10 salary and a top 8 in guaranteed money. 

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Usually a player that expensive should be a compete player. That’s a top 10 salary and a big guarantee.

I know pass rush is the more important skill, but at that price point you would hope that you were getting a more complete player.

That’s before you even get to the health issue. 

I don’t think anyone before we signed Ogunjobi would have said he deserved a top 10 salary and a top 8 in guaranteed money. 

I went to that PFF tweet you shared about Ogunjobi’s pass rush grades looking for his run grades (since I don’t pay for PFF access). The comments suggested his run stop numbers were good. Do you have PFF access to share them?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I went to that PFF tweet you shared about Ogunjobi’s pass rush grades looking for his run grades (since I don’t pay for PFF access). The comments suggested his run stop numbers were good. Do you have PFF access to share them?

It was the volume on his raw pass rushing stats that dragged him down. Which was the follow up tweet I got. He had something like 500+ dedicated pass rushers snaps.

The 1.9 yards per run stop is based on tackles he makes. It doesn’t take into account the running plays where he is blocked from what I understand. So the number looks good, but is a small amount of actual snaps.

Last season his PFF run grade was 38 which is crazy low and the the year before it was 55 which isn’t good.

Edited by WindyCity

52 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am saying based on his play against the run he likely should not be a full time starter.

He is a very one dimensional player. 

13.5 million is a lot to pay for a DLmen who doesn’t do everything for you.

Simply untrue...he was actually very productive against the run last season.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Based on what?

Based on the fact he has significantly more run stops than anyone we had last year and those stops came far closer to the LOS...what would you class as success against the run if not that?

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Honest question @Madmike90before the Bears signed him did you have Larry Ogunjobi pegged as a top 10 salary and a top 8 in guaranteed money?

If the Vikings had signed him to the deal would you be concerned or thought it was a good deal?

Yes I 100% would have…he was the top interior linemen on the open market and for interior talent especially pass rushing interior target you are going to have to pay for it…I have said for years that football is all about protecting the QB and hitting the QB…that simple…any team who can find an effective interior rusher is already at a massive advantage…

And yes I would pay $3.5 million more for Ogunjobi than B.J Hill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Based on the fact he has significantly more run stops than anyone we had last year and those stops came far closer to the LOS...what would you class as success against the run if not that?

What happened on the snaps when he wasn’t in on the tackle?

I will admit that Larry makes splash plays against the run. #2 in TFLs. But the rest of the time he is getting moved around.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yes I 100% would have…he was the top interior linemen on the open market and for interior talent especially pass rushing interior target you are going to have to pay for it…I have said for years that football is all about protecting the QB and hitting the QB…that simple…any team who can find an effective interior rusher is already at a massive advantage…

And yes I would pay $3.5 million more for Ogunjobi than B.J Hill.

Then we will have to disagree. Being at the top of the market in any given free agency year does not make you worthy of the contract that is given, it just means you are hitting the market at the right time.

Ogunjobi to me is not a top 8 DT in the NFL, or even top 10 for that matter, and that is before you get to the health concerns.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What happened on the snaps when he wasn’t in on the tackle?

I will admit that Larry makes splash plays against the run. #2 in TFLs. But the rest of the time he is getting moved around.

And you know this how exactly?

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Then we will have to disagree. Being at the top of the market in any given free agency year does not make you worthy of the contract that is given, it just means you are hitting the market at the right time.

Ogunjobi to me is not a top 8 DT in the NFL, or even top 10 for that matter, and that is before you get to the health concerns.

In this scheme there are not 10 better interior pass rushers in the NFL.