Game #13 - Sun, Dec 12 vs Las Vegas

onejayhawk

The whole thing of the Raiders inviting a beatdown just adds to it. 

The week before the first game, we were 4-4, had just eaked out a 20-17 win over the Giant, and were about to play Green Bay. People were saying that the three game stretch of Packers, Raiders, Cowboys was a death march because all three teams were 5-2 or better. Of course we beat Green Bay, but everyone gave it a pass because Aaron Rodgers was out.

That left our game in Las Vegas as significant and we made a 41-14 statement. What's interesting is that we followed it with three straight game allowing exactly nine points. Adding the two previous games, defense has allowed 7, 14, 9, 9, 9, best in the NFL. This is the first time the offense flexed it's muscles. A complete game, a complete domination, and a complete STFU.

J

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The whole thing of the Raiders inviting a beatdown just adds to it. 

The week before the first game, we were 4-4, had just eaked out a 20-17 win over the Giant, and were about to play Green Bay. People were saying that the three game stretch of Packers, Raiders, Cowboys was a death march because all three teams were 5-2 or better. Of course we beat Green Bay, but everyone gave it a pass because Aaron Rodgers was out.

That left our game in Las Vegas as significant and we made a 41-14 statement. What's interesting is that we followed it with three straight game allowing exactly nine points. Adding the two previous games, defense has allowed 7, 14, 9, 9, 9, best in the NFL. This is the first time the offense flexed it's muscles. A complete game, a complete domination, and a complete STFU.

J

I feel we got some ju ju going with the 9 point thing. No double digit scores in a month is quite an accomplishment in todays NFL.

Something I noticed was WG was ticked off after that Renfrow TD. Even though we were up 35-3 up to that point, close to the 4th quarter, and hes still throwing his hands up in the air visually frustrated. A certain standard is being set. 

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

I feel we got some ju ju going with the 9 point thing. No double digit scores in a month is quite an accomplishment in todays NFL.

Something I noticed was WG was ticked off after that Renfrow TD. Even though we were up 35-3 up to that point, close to the 4th quarter, and hes still throwing his hands up in the air visually frustrated. A certain standard is being set. 

I saw the opposite in the Dallas vs Washington game. The Cowboys were up 24-0 at half, but needed to escape with a 27-20 win.

On the Raiders game, it was nice to see Mahomes being Mahomes again. He's worked hard on polishing his game, but it's time to relax and play.

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

On the Raiders game, it was nice to see Mahomes being Mahomes again. He's worked hard on polishing his game, but it's time to relax and play.

I think Mahomes took two sacks staying in the pocket deliberately he would have tried to avoid by bailing out in other games. It sometimes looked weird how he turned away from downfield to be grabbed. But ... I think there's something going on in terms of QB coaching.

One thing I'd be happy about is him not taking those 15 yard dropbacks  ...

Edited by KC_Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

I think Mahomes took two sacks staying in the pocket deliberately he would have tried to avoid by bailing out in other games. It sometimes looked weird how he turned away from downfield to be grabbed. But ... I think there's something going on in terms of QB coaching.

That was a huge problem when we had a patchwork OL. Now that he has a real OL to work wiht, he's trying to find the exact balance he needs. 

I knew the game was a blowout, but I did not know it was the worst in the long history of the rivalry. on top of getting slapped  down for being jerks pre-game, the Raiders managed to make the game the answer to a trivia question. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_reaction_kansas_city_embarrasses_raiders/s1_16880_36710981

Another tid-bit is that the 48-9 final score is unique, never occurring before, ever. This is refered to as a Scorigami and is surprisingly common.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-victory-over-raiders-ends-in-a-final-score-never-before-seen-in-nfl-history/

Edited by onejayhawk

On 12/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, KC_Guy said:

Eventually, whether it's this year or next year or as he becomes a veteran QB, he's going to find the perfect balance between playing like Alex Smith and playing like 2018 Mahomes, and it's going to be magical to watch.

It is interesting to watch him learn this year. He's gotten as far as he has on instincts and talent. Watching the development this year is uncomfortable, but rewarding when it works out. He definitely took some sacks that run counter to his instincts, but it was nice that they were 6 yard sacks, not 10 yard sacks. And part of the return was the highest completion percentage in a single game of his career.