2021 Week 15 GDT Steelers vs. Titans

Steeler Hitman

51 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Here is my newest mock:
1. Devin Lloyd ILB Utah - We have had luck with ILBers with the name Devin in the past.
2. Zion Johnson OG Boston College
3a. Brandon Joseph Safety Northwestern
3b. Myjai Sanders EDGE Cincinnati
6a. Mario Goodrich CB Clemson
6b. Thomas Booker NT Stanford
7. Dare Rosenthal OT LSU

I think Booker is more of a DE/EDGE guy. The NT/DT Im intrigued by is Travis Jones from UCONN. His stock is all over the place right now, but he’s a good looking prospect.

17 hours ago, jebrick said:

I am not a fan of any ILB in the draft so far.  Again, I would be pissed if they passed on a good Ot like Cross or Penning for Lloyd

Agreed.   Its a very weak year for ILB, both in the draft and free agency.

Lloyd isnt a first round talent.     You can find talents like his (most years, anyway) in the 2nd or 3rd round.    If he goes in the first, its just because some team is desperate for an ILB in a weak draft.   Hope its not us, but we've reached on lesser talents.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:40 AM, AFF said:

That’s debatable...the vast majority of the Steelers talent is under 30 abd/or on their rookie deal. Heyward is already going on 33 and Watt is 27.

By the time an incoming rookie QB is ready to to make a deep playoff run(at best his 2nd year)....Heyward will be 35 and definitely on the decline even if he’s on the team and Watt starting that downward slope at 29.

I would say if anything, going all in right now for a QB makes sense due to cap room and where’s the teams better talent is in their career.

Just my opinion and I can tell we disagree...just throw in my .02 out there.

Thats the thing though....We dont really have much "talent".   Heyward, Watt, Minkah (meh), Najee, Friermuth, maybe Sutton...then who?     There might be one or two guys who progress, but the rest are mainly backup caliber players or worse.   Not counting guys like Tuitt and Alualu because they are very questionable going forward.    

"Going all in" implies we are just a few pieces away so we should do everything in our power to win immediately...and if that were the case, I might be okay with trading for 39 year old Aaron Rodgers.   The fact that we arent is why Im not.  We were in that spot 2-3 years ago, but that ship sailed.    

Heyward and Watt cant carry this defense.     We have arguably the worst ILB situation in the league and the worst secondary in the league.   We dont have a single starting caliber CB on the roster....even if Haden comes back.    Minkah has shown he is pretty bad without the right players around him.     Factor in we might lose Tuitt and/or Alualu, and our DLine is a trainwreck too.

Then on offense, the OLine is a disaster.    I doubt Rodgers or any vet with numerous options wants to play behind that.  

We'll be lucky to fix one, maybe two of those issues this offseason.   If we traded for Rodgers, we lose both a ton of cap space and draft capital to possibly fix those issues.

If this were even just before the 2020 season and the pandemic didnt destroy team, Id probably support trading for Rodgers a lot more.    Our OLine was still intact, our secondary had enough talent to get by, our DLine was strong and even Bush looked better next to VFW.

Now, most of that is gone.

Silly analogy time....

I had a friend who graduated high school and immediately got a semi decent paying job, and one of the first things he did was go throw a ton of money at a truck he couldnt really afford.   He thought he could, but the truck payment, gas and insurance left him with next to nothing.    Then his dad kicked him out and he had to get a second job, but couldnt keep up with everything, and eventually had to get rid of the truck, but was still dealing with the repercussions of buying that truck for a couple years after that.

Thats what us trading for Rodgers is like right now.

He might get us a few more wins than Ben, but does he instantly make this team a Superbowl contender?

You and others may say yes.   Fair enough. 

But for me...I wouldnt bet two first round picks on that happening.   Not sure Id even bet ONE.  

Just now, August4th said:

interesting how our punting situation has been meh to bad during the Heinz field era, while our field goal kicking has been solid to great with some hiccups.

That is pretty interesting. Reed was above average for his era, suisham, bos we’re all pretty good. Our best punter over that time period was probably Berry. Yikes

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That is pretty interesting. Reed was above average for his era, suisham, bos we’re all pretty good. Our best punter over that time period was probably Berry. Yikes

Sepulveda and Harvin are poster children for why you should NEVER draft punters.

• Like 1