2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

For me, i'm starting to get worried about this team's tendency to say "Nah, we good" when there are opportunities to get better AND younger at a position. This applies to Norwell, AR15,  Pugh, Jensen, Fulton etc. All of which we now appear to have fleeting interest in. Complacency in talent acquisition is rarely, if ever a good thing. Not only that, it's not like it'd be hard to put Goodwin, Garcon, Taylor and Robinson all out on the field together, or even three of those guys. 

Good thing is we should be able to roll over money next year.

I think fans here have too many years of bad 49ers footbal to the extent they're satisfied with marginal improvement. I'm not! With Jimmy on board now and Shannyt coaching - and with a bunch of cap space I want us to be aggressive in getting as good as possible, as fast as possible.

1 minute ago, John232 said:

For me, i'm starting to get worried about this team's tendency to say "Nah, we good" when there are opportunities to get better AND younger at a position. This applies to Norwell, AR15,  Pugh, Jensen, Fulton etc. All of which we now appear to have fleeting interest in. Complacency in talent acquisition is rarely, if ever a good thing. Not only that, it's not like it'd be hard to put Goodwin, Garcon, Taylor and Robinson all out on the field together, or even three of those guys. 

I think year 2 is too early to call it a tendency. I think Lynch is just looking for the right opportunity. He saw that opportunity with Sherman. He lucked out in getting Garoppolo, and that was the right opportunity for us to address the QB position, and he didn't hesitate to put big money in that opportunity. I don't consider the decision (if it indeed made) to not put 10m+ in Robinson a missed opportunity. Maybe it's just an evaluation thing. There are legitimate reasons to think he is NOT better than Garçon, even though it's undeniable he is younger. That's a matter of talent evaluation, not free agency timidity. For the right player, I have no doubt they'd go for it. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Good thing is we should be able to roll over money next year.

That's great, but then we're going to have a lot of overlapping contracts when ti comes to keeping home grown talent. Tartt, Brown, Staley, Buck and even Armstead (to an extent) are not going to be cheap to re-sign. Maybe not bank breakers outside of Buck and mabye Brown..but the more we wait, the less flexibility we have. 

16 minutes ago, John232 said:

That's great, but then we're going to have a lot of overlapping contracts when ti comes to keeping home grown talent. Tartt, Brown, Staley, Buck and even Armstead (to an extent) are not going to be cheap to re-sign. Maybe not bank breakers outside of Buck and mabye Brown..but the more we wait, the less flexibility we have. 

Plus, I'm pretty sure rollover expires. 

21 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think year 2 is too early to call it a tendency. I think Lynch is just looking for the right opportunity. He saw that opportunity with Sherman. He lucked out in getting Garoppolo, and that was the right opportunity for us to address the QB position, and he didn't hesitate to put big money in that opportunity. I don't consider the decision (if it indeed made) to not put 10m+ in Robinson a missed opportunity. Maybe it's just an evaluation thing. There are legitimate reasons to think he is NOT better than Garçon, even though it's undeniable he is younger. That's a matter of talent evaluation, not free agency timidity. For the right player, I have no doubt they'd go for it. 

Fair on Garcon, but my point stands independent of how good or even better Garcon is. They have a chance to grab a young, very high upside receiver. That rarely happens. Yes, maybe they do their tape review, talk to other people around the league/jags about him and they sour, I can't help that. It's a difference of opinion from my own. But if you like the guy, and you think he can make your team better and you have the time AND money to sign him to a contract that won't decimate your cap, you do it.  And I don't see how they don't see him making this team better. 

In regards to the tendency i spoke about, I don't think it's too early to say they have a tendency to opt for familiarity and to stick with it. Even at times, over-pay for it.

Gilliam-not good, injured, re-signed above market 

Kilgore-not good, extended.

K'uann-often injured, maybe average, extended mid-season and overpay

Aldrick Robinson-Shanny guy, overpay

Malcom Smith-HUGE overpay

Cassius Marsh-Saleh guy, played ok for depth, but overpay imo.

Garcon-good player, still probably overpaid but it's free agency, also a shanny guy. I'm ok with this since he has a great history of performing at a pretty high level. 

Now that's not to say I have an issue bringing in players familiar with a system, but consistently overpaying for marginal FA's just because we're familiar,  like we did last year, is not a good way to build yourself into a contender. It's a great way to rebuild a talent starved roster like the one we had last year, but after a successful draft, it's should start becoming about putting in legitimate starters and guys who can be around more than 2 or 3 years. Take advantage of the glut of rookie contracts. 

It's not (nor am I wanting)a full Redskins Snyder approach a la Lloyd, Haynesworth and Josh Morgan all in one off-season, and doing that over and over again..but acquiring a glut of average  players at above market rates doesn't seem to be much smarter and unless you're hitting a bunch of Carlos Roger's esque career turnarounds, it's going to keep the roster in stasis, imo. Replacing average with average. 

10 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Maybe if one of tghe top 4 QBs is still there at 9 Buffulo would still be willing to move up.  How about 12 and 53 for 9?  Problem is that it looks like they are positioning themselves for a bigger move up than that.

Yeah, at this point I think it's safe to rule out Buffalo. They seem primed to make a bigger jump than 3 spots. 

yeah i see us signing guys who are marginal as well 

trumaine johnson...doubtful

malcolm butler...doubtful

norwell...doubtful

AR15...seriously doubtful

i see us going after lesser players like donte moncrief, jeremey lane, orlando scandrick type guys because we are complacent with bringing in marginal talent and not studs

Archived