GM Predictions

beardown3231

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/hoge-bears-exploring-gm-candidates-replace-ryan-pace

“With head coach Matt Nagy seemingly on his way out, the Chicago Bears have also begun to do their homework on potential general manager replacements for Ryan Pace, according to multiple league sources,” said Hoge in his report. “That homework has included gauging back-channel interest from at least one college scouting director employed by another club, which isn’t uncommon practice when contemplating a major change.”

• Like 2

@Sugashane were you able to read the article in the link I posted.

I feel awful for what Smith went through, but I kind of wonder/worry if he's become a little 'off' because of it. You know what I mean? I value that he wants to use the franchise to make our players better men and people, but brother -- and maybe I'm an ******* here -- I just want to win games and win mother****ing championships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I feel awful for what Smith went through, but I kind of wonder/worry if he's become a little 'off' because of it. You know what I mean? I value that he wants to use the franchise to make our players better men and people, but brother -- and maybe I'm an ******* here -- I just want to win games and win mother****ing championships.

Like I say about McDaniels...I don't need a good guy running this team...I need a winner...if you can be both then awesome but give me the winner over the Pace/Nagy of this world who are clearly both really good guys but not winners...maybe Smith falls into the same conversation.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

No, it wanted a subscription so I only was able to read a few paragraphs.

I'm not overly worried about his psyche. There will always be grief to be had, that can happen to anyone. Favre, Kwon Alexander, Marquise Goodwin, Torrey Smith, and others have been able to play right after a loved one passes, so when Smith's wife passed away almost 3 years ago I have no doubt he could carry on and work just fine. Just like how he had to be a full time father this time he will be able to get back to work. If grieving still this may give him an outlet too. When my parents passed I took care of the arrangements but I threw myself into my work just the same. Seeing that I was doing something productive and knowing I was doing something with other people made the process way better than sitting alone in my house IMO. Same whenever my wife's best friend just passed away. I wouldn't let the kids or my wife sit around, I made them do things like help cook, read together, play games, go lift, and my kids helped build some things in the garage. The last thing I'd want while being sad or depressed would be to be stagnant.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to win, both of us have seen only a few blips of surprisingly positive seasons before going back to the cellar. Smith is one guy that I would love to put him as the VP of Football Ops if he doesn't want the hourly grind of a GM too.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Like I say about McDaniels...I don't need a good guy running this team...I need a winner...if you can be both then awesome but give me the winner over the Pace/Nagy of this world who are clearly both really good guys but not winners...maybe Smith falls into the same conversation.

Definititely see what you're saying, but to expand on this a bit...

I think there is a difference between being "too nice" and being a good person. Pace seems afraid of confrontation. When the rumor came out that Nagy was being fired after Thanksgiving he hid like a coward instead of immediately taking action and denying it. Pace is too nice AND a coward. But the best GMs in the NFL like Veach, DeCosta, Andrew Berry, Ballard, Gute, etc. None of them would have allowed that. Belichick might be considered a **** but most of his players and staff seem to love him, and he sure as hell wouldn't have allowed that.

I'll use a quote my old boss told me. "To be successful as a manager, you have to be comfortable making other people uncomfortable." You can do that without being a bad guy or an a**hole. But demanding a certain level of achievement or performance can get someone labelled as such. AS long as they can understand that this is a business and not a club then IDC about their personalities as much as their results.

McDaniels may or may not be a total jackass, I won't disqualify him for being one if he can get us wins, just like I wouldn't cut Smith for being a nice guy. If winning is their priority and their personalities don't cause losses or franchise embarrassments then I couldn't care less.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Definititely see what you're saying, but to expand on this a bit...

I think there is a difference between being "too nice" and being a good person. Pace seems afraid of confrontation. When the rumor came out that Nagy was being fired after Thanksgiving he hid like a coward instead of immediately taking action and denying it. Pace is too nice AND a coward. But the best GMs in the NFL like Veach, DeCosta, Andrew Berry, Ballard, Gute, etc. None of them would have allowed that. Belichick might be considered a **** but most of his players and staff seem to love him, and he sure as hell wouldn't have allowed that.

I'll use a quote my old boss told me. "To be successful as a manager, you have to be comfortable making other people uncomfortable." You can do that without being a bad guy or an a**hole. But demanding a certain level of achievement or performance can get someone labelled as such. AS long as they can understand that this is a business and not a club then IDC about their personalities as much as their results.

McDaniels may or may not be a total jackass, I won't disqualify him for being one if he can get us wins, just like I wouldn't cut Smith for being a nice guy. If winning is their priority and their personalities don't cause losses or franchise embarrassments then I couldn't care less.

100% there is a line and guys who are just bad dudes shouldn't have gotten to the type of positions we are looking to hire from...I just need someone with a cutting edge to them who will make tough decisions and like you said be okay with holding people to a higher standard even when they don't like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

100% there is a line and guys who are just bad dudes shouldn't have gotten to the type of positions we are looking to hire from...I just need someone with a cutting edge to them who will make tough decisions and like you said be okay with holding people to a higher standard even when they don't like it.

Agreed. That being said I am treating staff much like later picks - where I will accept more risk.

So I would be more than willing to get O'Brien as an OC and McCloughan as my Director of College Scouting. They're upside is definitely worth the risk IMO and if they need replaced it won't be franchise altering like the HC or actual GM.

• Like 1