GM Predictions

beardown3231

I'm still not convinced that they'll fire Pace so it's hard to say who I think they'll hire as GM.

Though I've heard a rumor that they have a real interest in current Raiders Director of Pro Scouting - Dwayne Joseph, who is a former Bears player and front office exec for the team. Pay attention to this name.

Some interesting side notes on Joseph is that he was a teammate of Trace Armstrong's on the :94 Bears. Also if we're connecting other dots Joseph was the Director of Pro Scouting from the Eagles from 2015-2019 where he was apart of a SB title and overlapped with notable Eagles coaching staff members such as Ryan Day & Doug Pederson.

As for who I want as GM, my top guy realistic target is Colts Assistant GM Ed Dodds. I think he's one of the better candidates out there right now.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

If we are going GM before HC then Ed Dodds is the guy I want 100%...would be disappointed with anyone else to be honest...Dodd is knows especially for DB & OL picks...the two things we massively need. 

Nice to know we're on the same page.

Tho I suspect that the chances of Bears landing Dodds are slim because Ballard probably told him how much of a clown show it is up at Halas

55 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Nice to know we're on the same page.

Tho I suspect that the chances of Bears landing Dodds are slim because Ballard probably told him how much of a clown show it is up at Halas

Dodds in my eyes is a guy like McDaniels in my eyes...he is never going to put himself in a bad position...he interviewed with the Lions & Panthers previously and then withdrew his name from contention because it didn't fit what he was looking for...I suspect he would be the same with us...if we offer him what he is looking for in terms of control then we have a shot...if not he seems comfortable enough to just flat out say no because he knows a better opportunity will eventually come his way.

50 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm not advocating for him but what happened to Louis Riddick? He used to be a popular name in these conversations.

He used to be, but he got interviews and was never hired. At this stage it may be safe to assume he either sucks at interviewing or his philosophies suck (or both)

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Dodds in my eyes is a guy like McDaniels in my eyes...he is never going to put himself in a bad position...he interviewed with the Lions & Panthers previously and then withdrew his name from contention because it didn't fit what he was looking for...I suspect he would be the same with us...if we offer him what he is looking for in terms of control then we have a shot...if not he seems comfortable enough to just flat out say no because he knows a better opportunity will eventually come his way.

Although if they hire Dodds I'd think McDaniels is out as a HC option due to the McDaniels/Colts snafu

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Although if they hire Dodds I'd think McDaniels is out as a HC option due to the McDaniels/Colts snafu

Yeah no chance both come in...McDaniels would be my #1 with his own personnel guy but if we wanted to hire GM then down then it would be Dodds.

Edited by Madmike90

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm not advocating for him but what happened to Louis Riddick? He used to be a popular name in these conversations.

I used to support the idea of giving Louis Riddick a hard look but frankly it'd be too risky of a hire.

Guy hasn't been part of an NFL front office since 2013. 

This is a case of where the hype is way too big due to his popularity as a TV personality.

Pass

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

McDaniels would be my #1 with his own personnel guy but if we wanted to hire GM then down then it would be Dodds.

This is setting up nicely for McDaniels to interview (again) but be told he can choose his own GM and run the football side of the operation how he sees fit.

We literally have nothing else to lose at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

This is setting up nicely for McDaniels to interview (again) but be told he can choose his own GM and run the football side of the operation how he sees fit.

We literally have nothing else to lose at this point.

That's my thinking as well...he is IMO clearly the top offensive coordinate in football given his length of success and that he runs that side of the ball basically on his own...if we are going to take a shot on him coming here and developing Fields then we might as well give him the exact support functions he wants...either it is bad and in 3 or 4 years we start over...or it becomes 25 years of success...for that I am more than willing to take the risk.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, G08 said:

Rick Smith was my number one guy last year, he is my number one guy now.

While I won't go too deep into a 'prediction' since I expect Pace to somehow get saved, I will like my favorite guys.

Rick Smith - I've been on this train for a hot minute. He took a franchise that was new and was in garbage shape and put them in position to challenge for years. He left, BOB got full control and FUBAR'd it into the depths of the ocean. If he wants more family time then I would happily put him as the VP of Football Ops over the new GM and not blink. But I want his consultation on early picks. Watt, Hopkins, Watson, Duane Brown, Clowney (even when the Bush hype was ridiculous), Mercilus, Cushing, etc. He and Jones in DAL are the best two drafters in the top round over the last 10 years IMO.

Eliot Wolf - Son of Ron Wolf, the HOF GM who helped GB start their 30 year dominance of the NFC North. He has been in GB for about 13 years, went to CLE when they made massive strides as the Ast GM, and then has spent the last 2 years in NE as a consultant and seeing how Bill runs things. That is three dramatically different franchises and he has been around a TON of wins, different situations, rebuilding plans, and so on. This is my number two guy. I loved Gute as a GM and hated that GB hired him, Wolf was one of two guys that competed til the end for the role, and I'm not sure he couldn't have done just as well. Now that he has the experience from other franchises? Love it.

Russ Ball - GB's FO has been stellar for the last 30 years. It has been what started the change from CHI's dominance of the 80s to GB owning the last 30 years. Ball has been in GB and started from the non-scouting side. He was also the other one who was competing against Gute and Wolf for the GM position. Joined the Packers organization as vice president of football administration/player finance on Feb. 14, 2008, and was promoted to executive vice president/director of football operations on Jan. 8, 2018. He has a long connection with Wolf. As a bit of a meathead I love that he started in the strength and conditioning side and worked his way up.

Joe Horitz - Horitz is a guy that I would be ecstatic about. He comes from a line of great FO guys, has been around HOF players, won two Super Bowls without a great QB, and now has seen the offense completely adapted to Jackson's  strengths and weaknesses. Last year he and Smith would have been my top pairing with Smith, two football guys who I'd feel completely comfortable handing the franchise to. I think he is getting hired quickly, and the fact JAX took Baalke over him is utter incompetence. 

Ed Dodds - The guy is old-school and will tell you you're an idiot if he feels it is true. Pace is scared to make people upset, I think the Tru pick without Fox knowing was more of him being a coward than establishing his position over Fox. Madmike did a write up on him and he is closer to what I think the Bears have had when they were successful than anything we've had this century. The guy is competitive and has a great record.

Will McClay - I mentioned earlier that I believe Jones and Smith have the top first round draft selections of the last 10 years, and McClay has been with Jones for the last 13 years. He was a player, then a coach in the AFL, then moved into DAL as a scout. Pretty cool to see that progression of his career since he has seen player/coach/scout/FO all at some point. But while Jones gets the credit and has the final say in who gets drafted, McClay is one of the main people in his ears giving him the information and scouting reports for who he picks. I'd wager McClay was key in a LOT of their top picks, and he was credited with the Cooper trade too IIRC.

• Like 3

I will also say if I knew he could be kept sober then Scot McCloughan would have been on my hotlist. What he built in SF was spectacular and Baalke gets too much credit for his work. He also did a damn good job in WAS. Damn shame his alcoholism ruined his career. Apparently he still has a scouting consulting company. Regardless of his past vices, I think that role would be worth the risk as the Director of College Scouting or some other title to show seniority. Hell if he makes enough to be a consultant and just wants to stick to that then I'd hire him for that. 

Can't give him the keys to the franchise with the demons he battles, but I'd have no issue with having a spare room for him to be able to rely on. If alcohol becomes an issue again then he can be fired, but it would be nice to see someone beat the bottle and help the franchise get out of the gutter simultaneously.