Jaguars HC Search (Who knew we’d be back so quick)

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I would LOVE to land Pederson as our head coach.  Leftwich has a lot going for him, but Pederson has already been to the top of the mountain.  If we can't get Leftwich, Pederson would be one heck of a consolation prize.

You would be better off following Kwesi back to Minnesota.

23 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Could you elaborate and give some information about Doug and his tenure in Philly?

Sure.

Doug is a great guy and players love him. He follows in Reid's footsteps as being a players coach.

However, he really didn't have a ton of connections, so I'm sure Roseman had to help him build out his staff.

Both him and Sirianni were lucky to inherit Jeff Stoutland from Chip Kelly's staff who is one of the best position coaches in the NFL. A lot of people try and take away almost all credit from Pederson regarding the SB and give it to Reich. I definitely wouldn't go that far, but it was blatantly obvious in the years after his departure that Reich had a huge hand in the scheme and game plans. Losing both him and DeFilippo who was the only QB coach here who gave Wentz some tougher coaching really hurt Doug in the following seasons.

When guys left Doug usually wanted to promote internally his guys even if it wasn't necessarily deserved. We moved Press Taylor into being QB coach after DeFilippo left and he didn't coach Carson hard and I think at that point Wentz was full of himself enough to where he wasn't gonna let Press who was barely older than him.

One of the biggest things he was criticized for in Philly was his inability to coach up his staff when they weren't getting results and the lack of development of younger players. He's a solid play caller, but his scheme wasn't always the most interesting and I don't feel like he adapted enough when things weren't going well. I guess if you can build the right staff around him and draft more players who don't need as much in the way of development I could get behind it, but it just wouldn't be a hiring that would make me super excited. He could still be a solid coach if he learned from past mistakes and now has a QB in Lawrence that actually takes to coaching and doesn't think he knows it all like a certain someone. As much as I wouldn't be a huge fan of Pederson to the Jags it would still be a hell of a lot better than Urban Meyer which was my least favorite HC hire last year mainly due to me disliking the person, but also knowing his style probably wouldn't fly with pros.

What I will say going back to the players coach thing is that his guys will always play hard for him and even in seasons that weren't going well like 2019 with all the injuries he still got guys to buy in and find a way to make the playoffs. At the end of the day he still won a SB with us, but I'm not sure that success was sustainable. That 2017 Eagles team was like a team of destiny. At the same time the Eagles teams that followed the SB might have been the most injured or at least bottom 5 for the next 3 seasons prior to his firing, so that should be taken into account before writing him off. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

I think this would be big news. I’d imagine he’d be in an EVP-role so he would be over Baalke. Probably would be our best bet to eventually get Baalke out.

Also sounds like Pederson shares an agency with Spielman. Could be looking at:

EVP : Spielman

GM : Baalke (neutered)

HC : Pederson

Fangio and Bisaccia could still potentially be sprinkled into the staff as well. Does sound like the Byron/Wilson combo is dead.

• Like 1

Yeah I think we see Pederson hired at this point with Spielman in the EVP role. Don’t think Spielman takes an interview with his reputation without knowing he’d have power and Pederson is part of the same agency/reportedly had issue prior with the setup. Don’t see why he’d interview for the position again unless that changed either.

21 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

I think this would be big news. I’d imagine he’d be in an EVP-role so he would be over Baalke. Probably would be our best bet to eventually get Baalke out.

Also sounds like Pederson shares an agency with Spielman. Could be looking at:

EVP : Spielman

GM : Baalke (neutered)

Fangio and Bisaccia could still potentially be sprinkled into the staff as well. Does sound like the Byron/Wilson combo is dead.

Yeah this would be ok with Baalke probably gone after the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chops013 said:

Garafolo was on 1010xl and said he thinks the Fangio and Bisaccia interviews were for coordinator positions. Not going to lie, that’d be a lot of juice on the staff.

OC : Nagy? Press Taylor?

DC : Fangio

ST : Bisaccia

Not bad.

Find a better OC and that's a great supporting cast.

17 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Find a better OC and that's a great supporting cast.

Unfortunately with most coaches they do have relationships and guys they trust. I would imagine that someone he’s worked with would be part of forwarding his vision offensively. Not someone outside the box that may butt heads right when he’s arriving to a new place and trying to put his mark on the team.

Lawrence being the type of talent he is likely goes a long ways as long as the scheme is competent and you put legit pieces around him (neither of which were the case last year).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Unfortunately with most coaches they do have relationships and guys they trust. I would imagine that someone he’s worked with would be part of forwarding his vision offensively. Not someone outside the box that may butt heads right when he’s arriving to a new place and trying to put his mark on the team.

Lawrence being the type of talent he is likely goes a long ways as long as the scheme is competent and you put legit pieces around him (neither of which were the case last year).

Yeah, I also imagine Doug probably still wants to call plays, so I get why he would bring in someone he's familiar with like Nagy or Taylor (ew), but that spot is the most disappointing of the ones listed and if the OC is calling plays I'd rather have someone better. Even if its just someone with a good offensive mind to help with game plans and stuff like Pederson had with Reich.

At the very least I hope they find a better QB coach than Press Taylor. I know it didn't work out with him as OC, but maybe bring DeFilippo back to Jacksonville to be QB coach.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, I also imagine Doug probably still wants to call plays, so I get why he would bring in someone he's familiar with like Nagy or Taylor (ew), but that spot is the most disappointing of the ones listed and if the OC is calling plays I'd rather have someone better. I hope they at least get in a better QB coach than Taylor. I know it didn't work out with him as OC, but maybe bring DeFilippo back to Jacksonville to be QB coach.

It’s kind of wild how much hostility Eagles fans have for Press Taylor. Did he actually do something that makes you feel that way? I’ve heard him as a bright young mind from some other outlets that talk about him.

Probably not at the top of my list (if Kafka could come in as OC that would be dope) as he comes from that Reid tree too, but idk that I’d be that disappointed with Press with him likely just pushing what Doug P wants/needs and helping him in the day to day.