A Few Weeks Left Mock

Bobby816

I think we make either no or very minimal Coaching changes.

As for Free Agency we have about 55mill in cap space. And that's before we make any cuts. So I expect the number to be more around the 65mill number when it's all said and done (if not more).

Notable Signings

WR JuJu Smith-Shuster: JuJu went back to Pitt last year on a team friendly deal for them to hopefully win. That didn't happen. So now he's looking to get more money. Add that with an injury this year, he might be a bargain and he's still young. Like Moore he can play the outside and slot for us. 

RG: Connor Williams: Plug and play RG for us. You'll see how this OL shakes out after my whole mock. But he's still young and is a building block to us having an great OL. Plays at a pro bowl level.

TE: David Njoku: Probably the best TE on the market that will be realistically available. Why is he available? Bc CLE is already paying Hooper. We convince him to play with us with young pieces on offense and him being the main and only main man for us at TE (think Kittle). And of course money.

LB: Kyzir White: rangy LB that can cover and tackle. Can flourish in our system. Has the size and speed to play LB for us.

S: Tracy Walker: Good do it all S. Not a ball hawk, but he makes tackles and has good instincts. He can play FS or SS too.

NFL Draft

1. Derek Stingley (CB/LSU): Hutch and Kayvon are gone by the time we pick. We take the risk here with Stingley who when healthy is a shutdown CB. But his health is the question. Hopefully he pans out for us and he can be our "new" Revis. If he pans out... Stingley, Hall, MC2 is 3 very talented young CBs for the outside spots and slot.

1. (from SEA) Tyler Linderbaum (C/Iowa): For starters I think this pick is later than 7, like it is now. So that's why I don't see this pick as much of a reach pick. I mean this guy is the best C to come out in forever and is about as safe of a pick as you can make in the draft. We know JD values OL and we now have 3 straight drafts with OL in Round 1 (Becton, AVT, Lindy). It's how I like building a team and I think JD does too. And dare I say he will be better than Mangold and Mawae were for us.

2. Daxton Hill (FS/Michigan): Hill is that ball hawk, do it all FS we need. There's no secret that S is an issue for us and we get a starter in Walker in FA and now we add Hill to start. Keep Davis around as depth, but Hill make no question is our starting FS. I see no weakness is Hill's game as a S, which is rare. 

2. (from CAR) Christian Harris (LB/Alabama): Perfect LB for our system. Can tackle, cover and blitz. Mosley teaches him and grooms him to be our leader for a long time (Bama ties). Mosley, White and Harris is now a good LB group with Q and guys like Nas and Sherwood able to groom more.

3. Kingsley Enagbare (DE/South Carolina): Yes I'm waiting until Round 3 for a DE. Reason being is the draft just fell this way with Hutch and Kayvon gone early and better players available in our other draft spots that we need starters at. At edge... odds are whoever we draft outside of Hutch and Kayvon wouldn't start for us. With Lawson coming back and a healthy Huff mixed in with a resigned JFM. I don't think we attack DE until around this area. And King is a guy with all the tools, size and smarts to get snaps for us. Develop him and hopefully he can be a starting DE for us.

4. Breece Hall (RB/Iowa State): I LOVE Carter and he is our starting RB. But he's small and it would be nice to have a guy to complement him. Hall can be that being he's more an upright runner and is 6'2" 225lbs. Teams need 2 RBs these days and Carter and Hall are that for us. JD seems to like this 4th round area for RBs as well.

4. Jahleel Billingsley (TE/Alabama): Guy who's a lot better than his draft spot. Bama is loaded at WR so he isn't used the way he should. He's also very sound as a blocker for a guy that's only about 235-240lbs. Can sit and learn and add size while learning behind Njoku.

5. Tyler Vrabel (OT/Boston College): We still have Fant and he's our starter. But we need some OT depth and a guy to develop. Vrabel moves well and plays aggressive, which fits our scheme.

5. Isaac Taylor-Stuart (CB/USC): A lot of talent in him that hasn't seemed to develop or transition to great play. Continue to develop him in the NFL and maybe he can develop into a player for us. Never a bad thing to have CB depth.

This now makes our starters....

QB: Wilson

RB: Carter, Hall

WR: Davis, Moore, JuJu, Berrios, Mims

TE: Njoku, Billingsley

LT: Becton

LG: AVT

OC: Linderbaum

RG: C. Williams

RT: Fant

DE: Lawson, Huff

DT: Q. Williams

DT: Foley

DE: JFM, Enagbare

LB: Mosley, K.White, Harris, Quincy

CB: Stingley, Hall, MC2, Guidry, Echols

S: Walker, Hill, Davis

What stands out?

This OL is arguably great to elite now. Adding 2 "pro bowl" talents in Williams and Lindy. This gives us an identity to feature Carter and Hall while making the game easier for Wilson bc teams know we can beta them anywhere.

We have 3 very good WRs in Davis, JuJu and Moore. Can they stay healthy is the question.

TE room is revamped and still is young. Njoku can be a crazy good weapon for us and force teams to respect the middle of the field against us. Billingsley can make a splash as well.

On defense we revamp the LB and S group. Harris and White fit this system and make our LB group a strength rather than a weakness. Walker and Hill compliment each other well and Walker can groom and teach Hill along the way. Hill can be a Eddie Jackson type player for us allowing Walker to be more a tackler.

Stingley starts right away at CB and based on how he develops and looks we can mix and match him or Hall against teams #1s.

The way I see this is it's a huge step in helping the whole team and with young players. This will still more than likely not be a playoff team... but it's building a foundation to set us up to win for years hopefully.

• Like 1

Love the Hall pick, arguably the best fit for a duo with Carter and the 2nd round. I like Kingsley as a groom into starter DE but if we miss out on Hutch/Thib I would much rather let someone else trade up for Stingley. I don’t think a 1st round CB has enough of an effect. The LBs and S will arguably have a bigger impact. 

I’d rather trade back and get someone like Ojabo while grabbing a pick. But I 100% foresee the Jets falling in love with Stingley so I understand why he’s being mocked. 

I think you have a much rosier outlook for this team and "elite" o-line than I do. I'm not all too crazy about this. 

I don't think our free agent signings are nearly aggressive enough. We've been taking the same approach and getting the same result year after year with these middle of the pack guys. JuJu being our top free agent signing would be a major disappointment. Everyone else is a mid-level signing at best, very much what we've been doing. If we're to sign JuJu, it better be because we missed out on Godwin. Same goes for Connor Williams and Brandon Scherff. Njoku is not good, and to expect him to mimic Kittle in this system is wishful thinking, but I do agree we need a good TE for Wilson to lean on, just don't think Njoku is that guy. We know what he is already, I'd rather roll the dice on a rookie like Wydermeyer.

To make this o-line truly elite, you draft Evan Neal. We are still going to have problems with the o-line you gave us, especially considering that Mekhi can't stay healthy. I'm no longer considering him a long term building block until he proves he can stay healthy, and Neal might just straight up be better. Both can play the right side and we need help there anyway. 

Also think our d-line is extremely thin, I'd probably be addressing the trenches with my first two picks and then wait and see which CB inevitably slides. 

25 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I think you have a much rosier outlook for this team and "elite" o-line than I do. I'm not all too crazy about this. 

I don't think our free agent signings are nearly aggressive enough. We've been taking the same approach and getting the same result year after year with these middle of the pack guys. JuJu being our top free agent signing would be a major disappointment. Everyone else is a mid-level signing at best, very much what we've been doing. If we're to sign JuJu, it better be because we missed out on Godwin. Same goes for Connor Williams and Brandon Scherff. Njoku is not good, and to expect him to mimic Kittle in this system is wishful thinking, but I do agree we need a good TE for Wilson to lean on, just don't think Njoku is that guy. We know what he is already, I'd rather roll the dice on a rookie like Wydermeyer.

To make this o-line truly elite, you draft Evan Neal. We are still going to have problems with the o-line you gave us, especially considering that Mekhi can't stay healthy. I'm no longer considering him a long term building block until he proves he can stay healthy, and Neal might just straight up be better. Both can play the right side and we need help there anyway. 

Also think our d-line is extremely thin, I'd probably be addressing the trenches with my first two picks and then wait and see which CB inevitably slides. 

Well fact is… big time FAs most the time get tagged for starters or resign a long term deal. So the guys you “want us” to get are just unrealistic. I try and keep my mocks very real. You can post a mock of us getting Davante Adams, Scherff, Chandler Jones, JC Jackson and Tyrann Matthieu, etc… but you’ll get laughed at how unrealistic it is.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well fact is… big time FAs most the time get tagged for starters or resign a long term deal. So the guys you “want us” to get are just unrealistic. I try and keep my mocks very real. You can post a mock of us getting Davante Adams, Scherff, Chandler Jones, JC Jackson and Tyrann Matthieu, etc… but you’ll get laughed at how unrealistic it is.

Not disagreeing with you, just saying that this is how we end up perennial losers by never moving the needle on the overall talent level on this team. 

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Not disagreeing with you, just saying that this is how we end up perennial losers by never moving the needle on the overall talent level on this team. 

No we’re perennial losers by drafting awful and failing to ever have good QB play. Most teams don’t win Super Bowls bc they’re great in Free Agency.

Stingley I would agree is going to slide, and what if the best safety the game has seen in the past decade is staring you in the face? Do you pass? Or for arguments sake the best OT is there, do you grab the CB or address it in the second round ?

Who could argue with the Linderbaum pick, surely not me, but there are other C's in the draft that would be good picks as well, so we could address that position in the second or third round of the draft.

Our Defensive line needs major work, we have rentals, and I highly doubt the Jets hand Fatukasi a multimillion dollar deal with Williams due a big pay day. Rankins is Okay but getting a bit long in the tooth. 

So I would be very happy with a DT/DL like Leal who has the ability to sack the QB, currently he has 8.5 sacks. Which is an major upgrade at the position.

The other players you listed in the draft some will not be available when you project them to be drafted.

Harris, Breese Hall, and Billingsley would be fine with me. But Hall will go in the second round. Hall will go in the second round. Billingsley could be a 3-4th rounder depending on other teams needs.

There is a major depth at RB, WR, CB's, DT's, OT's, DE's as well. 

But my hope is the Jets sell the draft choices move down and grab more picks, especially teams that are enamored with some of the blue chippers at the top of the draft board.

I believe the Jets are better served moving down and picking up some more 2,3, rounders and perhaps a few 1sts going into next year. 

So if the Jets moved down per say  and still got Linderbaum and Ojabu or Dean, and picked up some more picks I would be very happy. 

42 minutes ago, Big T said:

Stingley I would agree is going to slide, and what if the best safety the game has seen in the past decade is staring you in the face? Do you pass? Or for arguments sake the best OT is there, do you grab the CB or address it in the second round ?

Who could argue with the Linderbaum pick, surely not me, but there are other C's in the draft that would be good picks as well, so we could address that position in the second or third round of the draft.

Our Defensive line needs major work, we have rentals, and I highly doubt the Jets hand Fatukasi a multimillion dollar deal with Williams due a big pay day. Rankins is Okay but getting a bit long in the tooth. 

So I would be very happy with a DT/DL like Leal who has the ability to sack the QB, currently he has 8.5 sacks. Which is an major upgrade at the position.

The other players you listed in the draft some will not be available when you project them to be drafted.

Harris, Breese Hall, and Billingsley would be fine with me. But Hall will go in the second round. Hall will go in the second round. Billingsley could be a 3-4th rounder depending on other teams needs.

There is a major depth at RB, WR, CB's, DT's, OT's, DE's as well. 

But my hope is the Jets sell the draft choices move down and grab more picks, especially teams that are enamored with some of the blue chippers at the top of the draft board.

I believe the Jets are better served moving down and picking up some more 2,3, rounders and perhaps a few 1sts going into next year. 

So if the Jets moved down per say  and still got Linderbaum and Ojabu or Dean, and picked up some more picks I would be very happy. 

If I’m running the team yes I probably go Neal than Lindy in round 1. And use the majority of the rest of the draft on defense.

But I don’t draft for the Jets. I try and keep my mocks on par for what’s realistic and take JDs draft tendencies into consideration. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

If I’m running the team yes I probably go Neal than Lindy in round 1. And use the majority of the rest of the draft on defense.

But I don’t draft for the Jets. I try and keep my mocks on par for what’s realistic and take JDs draft tendencies into consideration. 

Any mock prior Underclassmen declaration deadline is unrealistic anyway. lol

18 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No we’re perennial losers by drafting awful and failing to ever have good QB play. Most teams don’t win Super Bowls bc they’re great in Free Agency.

That's completely untrue and has been untrue ever since the rookie wage scale made it possible to build a winning team around a cheap contract at the highest paid position. Free agency definitely matters and to take it even further, some teams are doing it without 1st round picks as well. 

That said, we are poor drafters too, which makes it even more imperative to hit on our free agent signings. I finally have some level of faith in our drafting with JD but he's proven to have that "take it or leave it" approach in FA and that's going to cap us. 

On 12/19/2021 at 10:52 AM, jetjuice said:

That's completely untrue and has been untrue ever since the rookie wage scale made it possible to build a winning team around a cheap contract at the highest paid position. Free agency definitely matters and to take it even further, some teams are doing it without 1st round picks as well. 

That said, we are poor drafters too, which makes it even more imperative to hit on our free agent signings. I finally have some level of faith in our drafting with JD but he's proven to have that "take it or leave it" approach in FA and that's going to cap us. 

What team besides TB (a very odd situation with them getting Brady and vet FAs being attracted to them bc of him) has been great over the last several years that was mainly built in FA? For starters... teams that even have money in FA are normally teams that draft awful bc they have no money tied up in their drafted players bc they've drafted bad. Meaning that most teams able to be big players in FA are bad teams. So they've already done something wrong. An even bigger factor is that great players very very rarely hit FA. And if they do it's for a reason. Be it their age, injury history, etc. Teams have so many ways to create cap space with restructuring current players contracts, that money is rarely the issue as to why a team cant keep a player if they're good enough to keep. Also players generally are going to get paid regardless. So where they choose to play in FA has A LOT to do with winning. Poor teams struggle getting top end FAs, bc they cant sell winning. This make no question will make this years FA period harder for us. We were able to sell a new HC that's a players coach and a young team that will have a talented new QB to FAs last year. After a year these players have seen Saleh not coach good and Wilson look awful. So that fresh start isn't a sellable trait anymore. 

I like this draft and I'm a fan of Stingley. He will be a shut down CB and I'm not afraid of the injuries. I'm a guy that is tired of the avoid him because of injury or background. We need true starters on this team and Stingley will be a stud. I still think the Jets pick 2 and grab Hutch or KT. The Jets will lose to the Jags and this will bump the Jets up. 

On 12/21/2021 at 7:42 AM, Bobby816 said:

What team besides TB (a very odd situation with them getting Brady and vet FAs being attracted to them bc of him) has been great over the last several years that was mainly built in FA? For starters... teams that even have money in FA are normally teams that draft awful bc they have no money tied up in their drafted players bc they've drafted bad. Meaning that most teams able to be big players in FA are bad teams. So they've already done something wrong. An even bigger factor is that great players very very rarely hit FA. And if they do it's for a reason. Be it their age, injury history, etc. Teams have so many ways to create cap space with restructuring current players contracts, that money is rarely the issue as to why a team cant keep a player if they're good enough to keep. Also players generally are going to get paid regardless. So where they choose to play in FA has A LOT to do with winning. Poor teams struggle getting top end FAs, bc they cant sell winning. This make no question will make this years FA period harder for us. We were able to sell a new HC that's a players coach and a young team that will have a talented new QB to FAs last year. After a year these players have seen Saleh not coach good and Wilson look awful. So that fresh start isn't a sellable trait anymore. 

LA Rams.