Christian McCaffrey: Is the upside even there to turn it around

Darkness

7 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I can't believe people are calling a rookie RB who just put up 1,000 yards from scrimmage a "bust" and "a terrible pick" just because other backs did well also. Y'all can't be serious....

Bust is hyperbole but it was absolutely a terrible pick. 

I understand Carolina fans trying to convince themselves otherwise though. Ive done it myself with my team. 

But objectively, this was a really bad pick. 

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

I can't believe people are calling a rookie RB who just put up 1,000 yards from scrimmage a "bust" and "a terrible pick" just because other backs did well also. Y'all can't be serious....

I agree, people can be ridiculous sometimes!!!

1 hour ago, BAConrad said:

I understand Carolina fans trying to convince themselves otherwise though. Ive done it myself with my team. 

Yes it is *objectively* true that picking a 1,000 back in the first round is a "really bad pick". What the heck is going on here I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

12 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Actually it was a pretty bad pick in hindsight. Even at the time I thought it was a massive reach.

McCaffrey has been pretty terrible at running the ball this year. And people who loved him so much did so because apparently he was supposed to be a great receiving back who could also carry the ball 15+ times a game and be a #1 back (in the run game)

And considering all the talented RBs in that draft who were drafted later, it looks even worse.

Tarik Cohen is better. As is Kamara obviously. And Kareem Hunt

And then you have guys like Perine, Mack, And Foreman who all would have a bigger impact on Carolina than McCaffrey.

I mean sure, he's a very good receiving back but a mediocre at best runner. If you really think that he was a good pick at #8, especially with literally 5+ guys drafted in the 2nd round or later that are clearly better, then you're delusional or you're Christian McCaffreys mom.

Actually it was a good pick in hindsight. Even at the time it was a good pick. 

McCaffrey has been fine running the ball and averaged around 4.2 yards his last 10 games...Despite a crap offensive line that held Jon Stewart to his lowest YPC in his career. And people loved him so much because he nearly broke the rookie receiving record, and consistently ran advanced routes for a RB that led to him getting open quite often.

And considering all the RBs in this draft, it looks like he is going to be a part of an excellent draft class for the position.

Tarik Cohen had a few nice plays this year, but is clearly worse. Kamara and Hunt have been excellent. McCaffrey has also been great.

And then you have guys like Perine, Mack, and Foreman who have shown some signs of being NFL quality RB's, but wouldn't have as big of an impact as McCaffrey.

I mean sure, he's a very good receiving back, but had to deal with one of the worst run blocking units in the NFL this year. Despite this his YPC continued to improve throughout the season. If you really think that he was a good pick at #8, your probably right. He did contribute to over 1,000 yards and 7 touchdowns as a rookie on an anemic offense.

Fixed your post for you. You're welcome.

10 hours ago, BAConrad said:

I'm a Saints fan. I hate Carolina. It was a good pick. McCaffrey has been a pain in the butt for the Saints 3 times this year.

I think McCaffrey is getting the same sort of "bust" treatment that Reggie Bush did after his underwhelming rookie season based off expectations and Bush had an even better system to showcase his skills in.  Could the Panthers of gotten a player that might have performed better than McCaffrey at that pick?  Most definitely.  But the Panthers were/are lacking weapons on offense and him and Samuel are both those and going forward will be a huge help to the Panthers.  This year Olsen has missed a lot of time, Benjamin got traded, and Funchess has been hit or miss especially without anyone too great across from him.  With another year to mature/develop I think the Panthers offense will be much better next year depending on which Cam we see.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

No arguments here.  It was amazing.

I’m glad Aikman mentioned it in the broadcast and they highlighted it on replay; I never would have noticed without it - happened too fast live. As annoying as some of these announcer teams can be, it’s moments like that where it’s nice to have people with high level football experience to say, “Let me show you the subtle individual effort that went into making this play successful.”

41 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

I’m glad Aikman mentioned it in the broadcast and they highlighted it on replay; I never would have noticed without it - happened too fast live. As annoying as some of these announcer teams can be, it’s moments like that where it’s nice to have people with high level football experience to say, “Let me show you the subtle individual effort that went into making this play successful.”

Agreed. He is excellent at setting up defenders. He used this route several times in college, and it seemed like the defender was always left in the dust. 

christian-mccaffrey-td-in-rose-bowl.gif?

33 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

He isn't a bust, but he was probably overdrafted a bit. His skill set is still is really good, but probably not worth the 7th overall pick. He will be good for a while imo. Not as good as a Kamara, but still good.

Ok, maybe not the 7th. But what about the 8th, though? ;)

Archived