BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

Some real good players I passed on to take Waletzko as RT insurance in PFA Round 2 to lock down the position for the Cowboys just in case he beat out Steele. He wasn’t on my board at all tbh. And he’s probably done for the season. Lesson learned. I stuck to my board during the draft which is an improvement from the last couple years but strayed in PFA. Next year stick to it no matter what. 

On 5/5/2022 at 9:46 PM, Scoundrel said:

My PFA reasoning:

Now I think there were players with the potential to contribute at more BDL favored positions at both of my picks possibly earlier than my two picks will contribute as well, however I really wanted to build the offensive line with cheap potential considering the cap with my first pick and then my second pick just ended up making sense to me to keep with the oline once I had more time to look into the players available. I have 7 players on my oline making $500 or less. Hopefully a couple of them become fixtures for me. 

1.2 Logan Bruss OG Wisconsin/Rams

This pick was likely always going to be an offensive lineman and the other two considered here were Fortner and Goedeke. I have a lot of guys playing LG on my team and Fortner went to the Jags so we will see. The Rams said Bruss will compete for the starting RG spot. The scout that was the lead on Cooper Kupp loved Bruss and wanted to move up for him and the Rams in fact tried. Ultimately he made it to 104 in which said scout had made a deal he would jump in the pool if he made it there. He jumped in the pool. Bruss has a lot of experience at RG and RT for the Wisconsin Badgers. While a run first team it is still impressive he surrendered one sack in 596 snaps since 2019. He also has film out there of pancaking Aidan... so I had to get the two players (I knew of) who were out there embarrassing my #2 pick in Bruss and Salyer. I trust the Rams to develop Bruss and for him to carve a role early on their oline. The whole Rams organization including Havenstein (fellow Trapper) and Edwards both Wisconsin alum are super pumped to have him. When his RAS is looked at as an OG he is a 9.63 (8.76 at OT) with 10 3/4” hands and over 33” arms. An industrial engineering major and 4 time academic all big ten Bruss has the intelligence and work ethic to improve on his technique and craft. I am hoping he can continue to develop into a key player for my oline. 

2.15 Matt Waletzko OT North Dakota

My original plan going into PFA was not to take two offensive lineman. However I did some more scouting and looking into scouting reports and I felt Waletzko was the right pick for me. Now I’ll be 100% honest the only MW film I had seen was the Senior Bowl practice clips on YouTube. So when I made the pick I had not seen any actual game tape. But it is the unteachable traits that made me feel this was worth the gamble at 2.15 in PFA. Now that I have actually watched a game tape this is what I see (clearly a limited sample size). Waletzko needs to add weight and more power to his base or he isn’t going to be able to play the brand of football he wants to at the next level. Due to this he is likely not a big contributor this season. He does however have elite length at almost 6’8 and over 36” arms with 10 1/4” hands. He moves pretty fluid for such a tall tackle and his agility and overall 9.96 RAS (6th all time for a Tackle) match what the film shows. MW had 28 reps of 225 with that length of arms shows he is not just quite the athlete but also has sufficient upper body strength. The reports/limited tape shows he does not just want to be a finesse tackle like many with his athleticism and length often are. According to scouting reports, MW plays with an aggressive wanting to bury guys in the dirt demeanor which we have looked for in our oline additions this season so this was nice to read this although I only saw a little bit on the film I’ve seen. Now as I mentioned he needs to get stronger at his base if he is going to be able to move NFL defenders in the run game. Level of competition as well is a concern and he will need some technique refinement. Similar to what SirA1 did with the handcuff to Jacobs with White, I currently roster the projected RT starter for the Cowboys in Terence Steele. And so based on my readings and research his competition/backup? None other than MW. So if things go well I’ll have one of the starting Dallas RT’s this season for sure and hopefully they play at a high level. I clearly didn’t watch enough film to get a full picture and I do wish he was like 1.5-2” shorter as I think if he doesn’t get more base power (I know I keep mentioning this) he is going to lose leverage battles. All in all the athletic testing with the length and landing spot was too much upside at what I consider a pretty important position for me to pass on at 2.15 in PFA. 

These picks not looking too cute right now. Bruss got ran over today to give up a sack (although he later paved the way on the goal line for a rushing TD) his pass blocking is behind his run blocking. And I already mentioned Waletzko in my post above. Looks like two picks I could have done better with. As I mentioned in my reasoning I’ll try and put my faith in the Rams developing Bruss and it is extremely early still in their careers but meh. Hopefully they become something eventually. 

At least Jamaree Salyer looked really good tonight in the start. 

6 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Some real good players I passed on to take Waletzko as RT insurance in PFA Round 2 to lock down the position for the Cowboys just in case he beat out Steele. He wasn’t on my board at all tbh. And he’s probably done for the season. Lesson learned. I stuck to my board during the draft which is an improvement from the last couple years but strayed in PFA. Next year stick to it no matter what. 

I feel you there. I made a very in depth board this year and followed it for my 1st 4 picks and I got two 1st rounders and two 3rd rounders and then yolo’ed the last pick and picked undrafted already on IR Justyn Ross over a 2nd round Brian Asamoah 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Meh, in PFA I always go for team/scheme over where I had them on my board. It's how I've gotten guys  like Byard, Crosby and Sneed. Just great fits that I wasn't sure where to put them on my board.

• Like 2

I always find little details/analysis like this interesting. He had 102 receptions in college. I’m sure there are examples of him tracking the ball. There can be truth to what this guy sees as he is correct on this play and some falsehoods with other plays. Doesn’t have to be black or white. Etienne in 2018 dropped 4 passes on 17 targets and in 2019 dropped 3 on 40 targets so he improved at Clemson. Not sure about the 2020 drop numbers. But very interesting seems like this guy is sticking to his narrative using just the below play as an example while I’m sure there are other plays that would negate this. He may be correct on the route type run at Clemson but I think I’d need to see more to make the judgement he did. 

• Like 1