BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

9 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

you out here Mailata doubting on me too? because Blue could use a break from the constant dunking if you wanna get in on it to

If a player averages a sack per game over the course of a season, they are considered a great pass rusher. Offensive linemen are out there for four quarters, exhausted, and all it takes is one play by the rusher to change a game.

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

That sort of reiterates my point. Since 2011 or so if you can’t play what the team drafted you as an OL, it’s probably not going to workout.

A) you can say that about literally every position

B) it's not even true, guys like Billy Turner, Austin Corbett, and Ereck Flowers moved on to new teams and/or systems that better suited them and panned out as, if not great starters, perfectly acceptable ones

1 hour ago, Blue said:

A) you can say that about literally every position

B) it's not even true, guys like Billy Turner, Austin Corbett, and Ereck Flowers moved on to new teams and/or systems that better suited them and panned out as, if not great starters, perfectly acceptable ones

Ereck Flowers is the only first round pick. I think the later rounds guys get drafted mostly bc they can make a 53 man roster or serve depth at multiple positions. That’s not usually the case drafting OL round one or from my original case, top 10.

IMO he was never going to be ready for LT Year 1. I get why he went as high as he did because of the potential, but he was unbelievably raw with disastrous technique in pass pro in college.

There is a reason why I had him as a late first round type coming out. Technique translates more on the OL that almost every other position in sports other than maybe golf or baseball.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

IMO he was never going to be ready for LT Year 1. I get why he went as high as he did because of the potential, but he was unbelievably raw with disastrous technique in pass pro in college.

There is a reason why I had him as a late first round type coming out. Technique translates more on the OL that almost every other position in sports other than maybe golf or baseball.

If I had one first round pick and needed an immediate contribution from that player I would have gone elsewhere with the pick. But I’m happy to let him develop before I put him out there (unless there are injuries of course and I have to). He’s very aware of his mistakes and acknowledges where he still needs to work while not letting it rattle his confidence which is important. He has the right mentality to work on these things and I think that is imperative to him developing. 

But even though the sacks stuck out in his mind, his coaches and teammates also saw some positives, including that early play. In the run game, he's a powerful player who has made an immediate difference in camp, moving people at the line of scrimmage.

"Definitely, that part of the game is something I want to keep growing and developing," Ekwonu said. "That's part of the game I feel pretty good about coming out of college, but the other side, the pass-protection side, is something I want to shore up.

"I feel like I've definitely made some improvements. Getting my timing right. I still need some work, but compared to where I was earlier in the summer, strides have been taken there."

9 hours ago, MD4L said:

Ereck Flowers is the only first round pick. I think the later rounds guys get drafted mostly bc they can make a 53 man roster or serve depth at multiple positions. That’s not usually the case drafting OL round one or from my original case, top 10.

If teams are drafting guys in the top 10 who are clearly not ready to play at the position they put them at, that is a massive indictment of the team, not the player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

If I had one first round pick and needed an immediate contribution from that player I would have gone elsewhere with the pick. But I’m happy to let him develop before I put him out there (unless there are injuries of course and I have to). He’s very aware of his mistakes and acknowledges where he still needs to work while not letting it rattle his confidence which is important. He has the right mentality to work on these things and I think that is imperative to him developing. 

But even though the sacks stuck out in his mind, his coaches and teammates also saw some positives, including that early play. In the run game, he's a powerful player who has made an immediate difference in camp, moving people at the line of scrimmage.

"Definitely, that part of the game is something I want to keep growing and developing," Ekwonu said. "That's part of the game I feel pretty good about coming out of college, but the other side, the pass-protection side, is something I want to shore up.

"I feel like I've definitely made some improvements. Getting my timing right. I still need some work, but compared to where I was earlier in the summer, strides have been taken there."

I definitely don’t blame you for taking him. My comment was more directed towards Carolina. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

Khalil Shakir at it again today. Even wears the number 10. He moves like Kupp. I’m again not saying he is Kupp but man. I can’t help but see some similarities.

Probably screwed up not trusting my board/evaluation letting this kid fall to Rome in PFA2.

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Went back and looked I had Doubs 68, Thornton 75 and Shakir 77 (with a star) yet I took Spiller, Likely (starred), Bruss in PFA all before these three that I had higher on the board. Smh gotta learn. 

Unfortunately Thornton hype takes a minor setback with his injury.