BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

4 hours ago, Blue said:

If teams are drafting guys in the top 10 who are clearly not ready to play at the position they put them at, that is a massive indictment of the team, not the player.

I agree. I think we’re on the same page just came about to our conclusions from different perspectives.

Ultimately, even though I love OL who have positional versatility anybody I drafted top 10 is based with one position in mind. Unless I have an incumbent high level LT and the newbie starts on the right side. There’s a rabbit hole of why a team picking so high would do that with presumable other needs but that’s another convo within itself.

I hope Wyatt ends up good, fan writers can be so hard on their own players (Good thing I’m not one of those writers...). Pete give me some counter hype on Rodgers.

Here are four more disappointing performances.

WR Amari Rodgers

usatsi_18897126.jpg

Gutekunst traded up in the third round to land Amari Rodgers last year. He was supposed to be the slot threat the Packers had missed since Randall Cobb’s prime years.

Instead, Rodgers’ career is going nowhere fast as he has been unable to leap-frog over Cobb on the depth chart. He had two splash plays against San Francisco but also ran, in Aaron Rodgers’ words, a “terrible route” on Jordan Love’s third interception of that game. Against the Saints, he caught 2-of-5 passes for 5 yards. He failed to hang onto the ball on what would have been an 18-yard catch on third-and-5 late in the third quarter. 

While he’s made leaps-and-bounds improvement as a returner, he inexplicably tried to pick up a bouncing ball near the goal line on an 81-yard bomb by Saints punter Blake Gillikin; he was fortunate that he didn’t touch it. A few minutes later, Rodgers fielded Gillikin’s 61-yard punt at the 4 and a holding penalty on the return set up the offense at the 2.

DT Devonte Wyatt

usatsi_18895360.jpg

Held out of last week’s game for precautionary reasons, defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt (95 in the photo) made his professional debut against the Saints. He played 26 no-impact snaps. He was in on two tackles on running plays, but those gained 5 and 6 yards. And in 16 pass-rushing snaps, he never got within a country mile of the quarterback. His quiet night wasn’t an anomaly. He’s been pretty quiet on the practice field, too.

The Packers are loaded on the defensive line, so it’s not as if they need him to be a major contributor from the get-go. But it’s not exactly ideal to have a first-round pick buried on the depth chart, either.