BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

Just saw the end of the game. What a disaster. Did the Bears blow 3 possessions at the 1? A pick off a helmet, a turnover on downs and Mooney double clutching to end up just short. 

3 total yards from winning convincingly instead they lose. Brutal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue said:

you gotta take Fields, right? At least he has some upside, we know what Wentz is at this point

Fields just turned 23. He has as bad of an offensive line and receiver situation as I’ve seen. Mooney is his 1 and he’s a 2 about anywhere else. He’s got a capable but not great running game. Kmet is a capable TE.

Sure, Fields needs to understand that guys are rarely if ever going to be college open anymore, but when you constantly get hit before you can set, stand, and deliver, you start seeing ghosts or anticipating the hits.

Wentz is on his 3rd or 4th different team and is actively killing his pretty capable receivers and clearly is who he is at this point, which is a guy who processes slowly, holds the ball way too long, is super insecure, and turnover prone.

I think you have to give Fields the Tua treatment with a capable OL and some weapons before you render judgment. He’s got a live arm, he’s athletic, he throws a tight spiral, and in college he proved to be accurate downfield. Sure, his receivers helped there, but they’ve invested a lot in him so they owe it to everyone to actually build around him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Fields just turned 23. He has as bad of an offensive line and receiver situation as I’ve seen. Mooney is his 1 and he’s a 2 about anywhere else. He’s got a capable but not great running game. Kmet is a capable TE.

Sure, Fields needs to understand that guys are rarely if ever going to be college open anymore, but when you constantly get hit before you can set, stand, and deliver, you start seeing ghosts or anticipating the hits.

Wentz is on his 3rd or 4th different team and is actively killing his pretty capable receivers and clearly is who he is at this point, which is a guy who processes slowly, holds the ball way too long, is super insecure, and turnover prone.

I think you have to give Fields the Tua treatment with a capable OL and some weapons before you render judgment. He’s got a live arm, he’s athletic, he throws a tight spiral, and in college he proved to be accurate downfield. Sure, his receivers helped there, but they’ve invested a lot in him so they owe it to everyone to actually build around him.

Furthermore, despite legitimately bad play last night, and that gimme TD pass to the backup TE on the overthrow in the endzone is one, and missing that wide open crosser on 3rd and 2 in the first half is another, I will say those last 2 throws legitimately were borderline perfect and flat out need to be caught/should be caught by viable NFL starting caliber WR.

Pettis's drop in the end zone on third down, while played well by the DB, is inexcusable. Mooney needs to come down with that other catch on 4th down that he juggled and dropped.

It wouldn't "fix" the other issues, but it would be momentum to build off of, because he had a good drive down the field to that point.