BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

6 minutes ago, MD4L said:

It’s one of those things worth discussing in the off-season. Most of the teams have no cap space so it hasn’t gone anywhere near compromising the integrity of the league.

Playoffs being decided by +/- and a game against no one totally different story.

I can understand that argument

4 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I think that arguing in BDL ultimately amounts to the same results as trying to piss into the wind, so I tend to try and stay away from bringing anything up. But there are certain things that go unsaid yet can be seen on display on a regular basis.

There's a lot of nuance that I just don't have the time during my workday to get into, but I will say that, regardless of how much you might feel someone copy pasted their format and leveraged parts of prior gameplans, seeing that effort result in the same lopsided score as the ones who didn't submit anything, and then seeing owners flat-out state they would not punish those fully, could be perceived as incentivizing not submitting a gameplan vs getting murdered over one that does get submitted.

Two games finished 12-1. One of those teams is missing their entire submission. The other is missing all of 2 starters from their week 1 roster lineup - an OT that the team has tried to account for every single time, and the second safety that has been a weekly rotational spot since week 1. So far that single OT apparently has the capability of crippling not only the passing game, but the entire offense, but more impressively, it's completely discounted the defense. Oh, I'm aware of Rodgers and how he's not playing up to MVP levels, but it's more glaring seeing the results now than it was under Tannehill. And while I fully support a fully active league, the way certain owners have manuevered their actions speaks more than any post could say.

I probably should have kept quiet this morning, but I felt like poking back at what was, from my team's perspective, blatent gamesmanship to try and manuever what the perspective playoff field would look like over the course of not a single week but season.

For me, I avoid voting on games where one team doesn't submit a gameplan/lineup because that looks like said team is actively trying to lose, and with point differential being one of the tiebreakers, I don't want to reward them for doing nothing. If a team that actually tries gets killed in the voting, that's ultimately a win for them because then they win the point differential tie-breaker for draft purposes.

On the flip side, the fact that you still have most of your starters from Week 1 doesn't really mean anything. Early in the year, people tend to let last season's performance outweigh how they're actually performing this year. We're halfway through the season and you've still got Danny Pinter, who frankly I don't think has ever been very good, getting starts despite being benched IRL in Week 3. Losing Williams hurt you so much because it's a huge drop-off with his replacement, and that's on you for going through the entire offseason with just Teven Jenkins and Josh Jones behind your starters (and one of those starters was a min bid Shark Tank addition!). Of course people are looking at all that and thinking it's a problem, especially when you have a QB who has been really struggling the past three weeks.

Sometimes the season doesn't go the way you want it to for your players. It sucks and there's nothing you can do about it but have the depth behind or around them to get through it. You didn't do that at tackle and Williams being out just highlighted the problem. It's not just about the one player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

It sucks and there's nothing you can do about it but have the depth behind or around them to get through it. You didn't do that at tackle and Williams being out just highlighted the problem. It's not just about the one player.

Very much this. I can get a little more serious on this topic, but I'm not feeling mean enough tonight.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

For me, I avoid voting on games where one team doesn't submit a gameplan/lineup because that looks like said team is actively trying to lose, and with point differential being one of the tiebreakers, I don't want to reward them for doing nothing. If a team that actually tries gets killed in the voting, that's ultimately a win for them because then they win the point differential tie-breaker for draft purposes.

On the flip side, the fact that you still have most of your starters from Week 1 doesn't really mean anything. Early in the year, people tend to let last season's performance outweigh how they're actually performing this year. We're halfway through the season and you've still got Danny Pinter, who frankly I don't think has ever been very good, getting starts despite being benched IRL in Week 3. Losing Williams hurt you so much because it's a huge drop-off with his replacement, and that's on you for going through the entire offseason with just Teven Jenkins and Josh Jones behind your starters (and one of those starters was a min bid Shark Tank addition!). Of course people are looking at all that and thinking it's a problem, especially when you have a QB who has been really struggling the past three weeks.

Sometimes the season doesn't go the way you want it to for your players. It sucks and there's nothing you can do about it but have the depth behind or around them to get through it. You didn't do that at tackle and Williams being out just highlighted the problem. It's not just about the one player.

I got more constructive feedback out of your post here than any from the prior 3 weeks within the gameday threads. I appreciate that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Ruskie, you've also played the teams ranked 1st, 3rd, and 4th at this point of the season with Trent out.

That context is always great when you’re talking to someone else. It can feel meaningless when it’s you.