BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

46 minutes ago, MD4L said:

The inability to find a QB comes 2nd to his inability to put a complete OL together. 

Ryan Kelly and Quenton Nelson are both first round picks and Braden Smith was a 2nd round pick who got a well-deserved extension. I know Ballard only drafted two of those players but it's really just left tackle that he's punted on.

Unfortunately, that and the QB position matter a great deal more than those other spots.

22 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ryan Kelly and Quenton Nelson are both first round picks and Braden Smith was a 2nd round pick who got a well-deserved extension. I know Ballard only drafted two of those players but it's really just left tackle that he's punted on.

Unfortunately, that and the QB position matter a great deal more than those other spots.

Gonna nitpick on a LT meaning a great deal more than a C.

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Gonna nitpick on a LT meaning a great deal more than a C.

Your center is almost never blocking anyone one-on-one outside of a blitz and plenty of teams don't even have the center calling protection.

Edited by Blue

Just now, Blue said:

Your center is almost never blocking anyone one-on-one and plenty of teams don't even have the center calling protection.

I think giving a QB a top-notch C who can do all those things and hold the pivot is almost as valuable as blind side protection, especially for a younger QB.

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think giving a QB a top-notch C who can do all those things and hold the pivot is almost as valuable as blind side protection, especially for a younger QB.

So you agree it's not as valuable, glad we're on the same page

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

So you agree it's not as valuable, glad we're on the same page

Probably more valuable for a young QB cause it gives them less to think about.

I think LT and C are neck-and-neck in terms of importance.

Plus, you can slide protection to the LT if he is struggling.  You can't slide much if the pivot of the pocket is collapsing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Probably more valuable for a young QB cause it gives them less to think about.

I think LT and C are neck-and-neck in terms of importance.

Plus, you can slide protection to the LT if he is struggling.  You can't slide much if the pivot of the pocket is collapsing.

There are some Centers that are just more important than their raw skill set in a vacuum and are very helpful for QBs and run games more than you'd expect. Jason Kelce, David Andrews and Corey Linsley to name ones that stand out. Creed Humphrey seems to be one as well in his young career although the team was already good so it's hard to tell for sure just yet but he's doing amazing.

Edited by LAOJoe

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

LoL can’t help yourself 

This is getting old. Anytime I mention one of my players you do this. And yes he does bring more to his team than a normal center in intangibles and helps a young QB like Rags was saying. I think it was an obvious example.

Just now, LAOJoe said:

This is getting old. Anytime I mention one of my players you do this. And yes he does bring more to his team than a normal center in intangibles and helps a young QB like Rags was saying. I think it was an obvious example.

You go above and beyond to always make sure you include one of your players when you bring up a list of players. It’s pretty funny. Have fun with it. I’m not going to stop calling it out for fun. If you don’t like it put me on ignore. 

• Like 1