BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33545367/michigan-lb-david-ojabo-suffered-torn-achilles-pro-day-miss-six-months-source-says

Absolutely awful. Kid just lost millions and his career may never be the same. Such a shame.

He should be allowed to go back to school if he chooses. That would be the best option for all 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m going to take some time to reflect on it. I’ve threatened to quit this organization countless times and probably should have long ago. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as that. This morning my 3 daughters came out while I had the TV turned on, while the talking heads were talking Browns and Watsons picture flashed on the screen, and they excitedly asked me when the Browns were going to play again. I could not give them an answer.

I can say that I’m sure I am going to have a soft boycott and not buy any more Browns gear, nor will I wear any memorabilia to work anymore for identical reasons that a teacher friend of mine mentioned. I’ve got students who have been impacted by these things.

I can say that if Watson led Browns ever win a title, it definitely won’t give me the same satisfaction or pleasure that it otherwise would have.

TBH, this whole thing is a microcosm of why I don’t value athletes or celebrities at all and only care about whether or not they entertain me. Charles Barkley was spot on with his “I am not a role model” commercial message. LeBron is a social justice warrior who refuses to stand up for China because it impacts his pocket and then excitedly tweets out about Watson. He’s a meme and so are 90% of other athletes and celebrities.

To be honest, evaluating these things in light of my beliefs means I might actually be able to root for the Browns while not caring about any of these dooosh canoes because a ton of them are inherently worthless to society, just like our owner.

Or else I might just become a Bills fan. They’ve always been my second favorite team.

I think I’m 70/30 leaning Browns but undecided.

I feel you. When all the Eagles’ fans were stanning Watson, I just couldn’t. I would feel absolutely the same way if the Eagles traded for Watson or were even in this whole awkward rapey version of football “The Bachelor” that went on this week 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I feel you. When all the Eagles’ fans were stanning Watson, I just couldn’t. I would feel absolutely the same way if the Eagles traded for Watson or were even in this whole awkward rapey version of football “The Bachelor” that went on this week 

It's just crazy that while he's still entrenched it, not only did he get to pick his spot after he interviewed teams, but he got a mammoth raise. 

I can't even imagine being talented enough to make that work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

It's just crazy that while he's still entrenched it, not only did he get to pick his spot after he interviewed teams, but he got a mammoth raise. 

That's what makes me sick. A fully guaranteed contract, he had full control over his situation. If he gets less than an entire season AFTER an appeal, it's complete b.s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m going to take some time to reflect on it. I’ve threatened to quit this organization countless times and probably should have long ago. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as that. This morning my 3 daughters came out while I had the TV turned on, while the talking heads were talking Browns and Watsons picture flashed on the screen, and they excitedly asked me when the Browns were going to play again. I could not give them an answer.

I can say that I’m sure I am going to have a soft boycott and not buy any more Browns gear, nor will I wear any memorabilia to work anymore for identical reasons that a teacher friend of mine mentioned. I’ve got students who have been impacted by these things.

I can say that if Watson led Browns ever win a title, it definitely won’t give me the same satisfaction or pleasure that it otherwise would have.

TBH, this whole thing is a microcosm of why I don’t value athletes or celebrities at all and only care about whether or not they entertain me. Charles Barkley was spot on with his “I am not a role model” commercial message. LeBron is a social justice warrior who refuses to stand up for China because it impacts his pocket and then excitedly tweets out about Watson. He’s a meme and so are 90% of other athletes and celebrities.

To be honest, evaluating these things in light of my beliefs means I might actually be able to root for the Browns while not caring about any of these dooosh canoes because a ton of them are inherently worthless to society, just like our owner.

Or else I might just become a Bills fan. They’ve always been my second favorite team.

I think I’m 70/30 leaning Browns but undecided.

You've got no idea though, as an NFL fan, not as a Steeler fan, how much I appreciate the fact you're not just "jumping on the wagon". I get Browns fans being excited about finally having a QB that could really change things for them. But you're also willing to look at the issues with Watson and have unsatisfactory feelings about that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jlash said:

All due to the no trade clause.

This is why I get worked up over contract language.

• Like 1