BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

My grandparents did a lot of canning, tomatoes and such. Froze a lot of vegetables they grew through the summer.

I did a LOT of canning with my dad growing up and have been trying to get my wife to do it with me to no avail thus far 😂 

• Like 2

Just now, wwhickok said:

Do you freeze any of that? Idk how long they keep in a deep freezer tbh

They’re not quite old enough to bear fruit on the trees but the berries did really well. When the trees take off, canning applesauce and jarred peaches is a game changer.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve got 4 apple trees, 2 peach trees, a pear tree, and a nectarine tree to go with strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes, and raspberries in my garden.

Damn,  that’s living.   Would love to have a couple peach trees,   They don’t last long in Kansas weather though.    Pear trees are a big hit around these parts though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

Damn,  that’s living.   Would love to have a couple peach trees,   They don’t last long in Kansas weather though.    Pear trees are a big hit around these parts though. 

If I were you I’d look at your climate zone and try out some hybrids. It won’t quite be the same but they’ll be good and it’s a fun hobby.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If I were you I’d look at your climate zone and try out some hybrids. It won’t quite be the same but they’ll be good and it’s a fun hobby.

I’ve thought about it.   I really would just want them to eat though.    Spent one too many summers getting forced into canning/jamming them as a kid.   Some people enjoy it,   I lost all interest lmao

• Like 1

That voice...

That voice you hear...

That voice you hear through the distant darkness warning you to turn back....

It's the voice of everything you've ever feared coming to fruition right before your eyes.

You're left realizing that the cataclysm has begun and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

That voice...

That voice you hear...

That voice you hear through the distant darkness warning you to turn back....

It's the voice of everything you've ever feared coming to fruition right before your eyes.

You're left realizing that the cataclysm has begun and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

This is surprisingly relevant 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

I’ve thought about it.   I really would just want them to eat though.    Spent one too many summers getting forced into canning/jamming them as a kid.   Some people enjoy it,   I lost all interest lmao

90% chance I donate a good portion of them to my neighbors and church and scrap canning too. :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

This is why I can't stand Tomatoes. Canned way to many as a kid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I live in California so...

You might have orange trees in your backyard and a ton of good fruit. Downside is your fresh vegetables undoubtedly suck in comparison to Midwest soil nutrients and are absolutely hydroponic