Draft Talk: Giants @ 1.5 & 1.7

Acgott

Here's some supposed inside info from BBI

With the draft tomorrow. I’ve asked my source about what he’s hearing strictly concerning the Giants. Here’s the tidbits he gave me.

- Evan Neal and Charles Cross are the tackles the Giants like. Ekonwu they like more as a guard prospect who offers some flexibility as a OT. They like Neal and and Cross’s ability in pass protection as they intend to be a more pass heavy option. Plan is to use Saquon in a Christian McCaffrey type role where he will be asked to go out on routes rather than block. So the Giants want OL that can hold up on islands. He believes Neal is still ahead of Cross on the Giants board but that either would make NYG happy.

- Ahmad Gardner is a top 3 player on the Giants board and he’s not #3. Giants decision makes love his “swagger”. Say it’s different than what they saw in Kadarious Toney. Gardner is intensely focused on performing at a high level and wants to be seen as a Deion Sanders/ Darrelle Revis type player. Giants also like CB Derek Stingley and would take him if Gardner isn’t available.

- The position the Giants are likely to wait on? Pass rusher. Giants feel with Wink’s designs, they don’t need a guy that has to necessarily win 1-on-1. Wink’s defense is all about exploiting protections. Giants just need EDGEs athletic and quick enough to get in the backfield fast off open lanes. DeAngelo Malone, Nik Bonitto, Arnold Ebiketie, and Boye Mafe are guys to think about.

- Giants really want to come away with a top OL and a Top DB in the 1st round. There is a scenario where they keep James Bradberry and train him as a safety. But they would like to be able to move him for a 3rd/high 4th.

- 2nd Round is where they seem primed to look at Off-Ball LB/ WR/Safety. A guy they are fond of is UGA LB Nakobe Dean. Dean has been sliding down boards lately and teams are starting to put other LBs (like Wyoming’s Chad Muma, Montana’s Troy Anderson, and Wisconsin’s Leo Chanel) above Dean do to his lack of size and questionable athletic ability. Giants like Dean, Christian Harris, Troy Anderson, and Chad Muma for their abilities as blitzers and their athletic ability to cover in space. Dean and Harris Compare most favorably to what Wink had in Patrick Queen in Baltimore. Safety, they are big fans of UGA’s Lewis Cine, Baylor’s Jaylen Pitre and (if they trade down a bit) Maryland’s Nick Cross. All athletic guys that can cover, but bring the thump vs the run. At WR they seem to be very high on Penn St WR Johan Dotson. They already have a bevy of ways in their mind on how they could utilize Dotson, Toney, and Saquon.

- 3rd round is where the Giants are expected to be looking at TE and IDL. The names he’s heard most associated with NYG are Trey McBride, Cade Otten, Jeremey Ruckert, Daniel Bellinger, and Jelani Woods. Believes the top 3 are 1. McBride, 2. Ruckert, 3. Otten.

For IDL they are big on Travis Jones but he likely will not be there in the 3rd. Phidarian Mathis is a guy they can pull the trigger on with the 2nd of their 3rds

- Darkhorse picks? If the Giants can read down and still keep a top 12 pick, WR Garrett Wilson becomes a BIG play. Giants coaches like him a lot but felt they weren’t in a position to draft him over guys they think off a little more. Another? Zion Johnson In the top 10. If both CBS are gone (Stingley to Texans, Sauce to Jets) Don’t be surprised if the Giants double up on OL at 5 and 7 with them not really feeling a need to grab an EDGE early.

Edited by EL Guapo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EL Guapo said:

Here's some supposed inside info from BBI

With the draft tomorrow. I’ve asked my source about what he’s hearing strictly concerning the Giants. Here’s the tidbits he gave me.

- Evan Neal and Charles Cross are the tackles the Giants like. Ekonwu they like more as a guard prospect who offers some flexibility as a OT. They like Neal and and Cross’s ability in pass protection as they intend to be a more pass heavy option. Plan is to use Saquon in a Christian McCaffrey type role where he will be asked to go out on routes rather than block. So the Giants want OL that can hold up on islands. He believes Neal is still ahead of Cross on the Giants board but that either would make NYG happy.

- Ahmad Gardner is a top 3 player on the Giants board and he’s not #3. Giants decision makes love his “swagger”. Say it’s different than what they saw in Kadarious Toney. Gardner is intensely focused on performing at a high level and wants to be seen as a Deion Sanders/ Darrelle Revis type player. Giants also like CB Derek Stingley and would take him if Gardner isn’t available.

- The position the Giants are likely to wait on? Pass rusher. Giants feel with Wink’s designs, they don’t need a guy that has to necessarily win 1-on-1. Wink’s defense is all about exploiting protections. Giants just need EDGEs athletic and quick enough to get in the backfield fast off open lanes. DeAngelo Malone, Nik Bonitto, Arnold Ebiketie, and Boye Mafe are guys to think about.

- Giants really want to come away with a top OL and a Top DB in the 1st round. There is a scenario where they keep James Bradberry and train him as a safety. But they would like to be able to move him for a 3rd/high 4th.

- 2nd Round is where they seem primed to look at Off-Ball LB/ WR/Safety. A guy they are fond of is UGA LB Nakobe Dean. Dean has been sliding down boards lately and teams are starting to put other LBs (like Wyoming’s Chad Muma, Montana’s Troy Anderson, and Wisconsin’s Leo Chanel) above Dean do to his lack of size and questionable athletic ability. Giants like Dean, Christian Harris, Troy Anderson, and Chad Muma for their abilities as blitzers and their athletic ability to cover in space. Dean and Harris Compare most favorably to what Wink had in Patrick Queen in Baltimore. Safety, they are big fans of UGA’s Lewis Cine, Baylor’s Jaylen Pitre and (if they trade down a bit) Maryland’s Nick Cross. All athletic guys that can cover, but bring the thump vs the run. At WR they seem to be very high on Penn St WR Johan Dotson. They already have a bevy of ways in their mind on how they could utilize Dotson, Toney, and Saquon.

- 3rd round is where the Giants are expected to be looking at TE and IDL. The names he’s heard most associated with NYG are Trey McBride, Cade Otten, Jeremey Ruckert, Daniel Bellinger, and Jelani Woods. Believes the top 3 are 1. McBride, 2. Ruckert, 3. Otten.

For IDL they are big on Travis Jones but he likely will not be there in the 3rd. Phidarian Mathis is a guy they can pull the trigger on with the 2nd of their 3rds

- Darkhorse picks? If the Giants can read down and still keep a top 12 pick, WR Garrett Wilson becomes a BIG play. Giants coaches like him a lot but felt they weren’t in a position to draft him over guys they think off a little more. Another? Zion Johnson In the top 10. If both CBS are gone (Stingley to Texans, Sauce to Jets) Don’t be surprised if the Giants double up on OL at 5 and 7 with them not really feeling a need to grab an EDGE early.

Zion at 7?!?!?! I wouldn’t hate it. But wouldn’t love it either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Zion at 7?!?!?! I wouldn’t hate it. But wouldn’t love it either. 

To be clear. I think this would my second best scenario if Thibs Walker and Sauce are all gone. I’d take him over Stingley no question. 

The big night is almost here. Here are my final thoughts (originally posted on BBH) and what I would do to start fixing this team.

Gardner is a no-brainer if he's there at 5. If he's gone, as I predict he will be, I take Neal or Cross and then entertain trade offers for #7. I'm not really attached to any of the 1st round pass rushers other than Hutch or Johnson, and Hutch will be gone anyway. Stingley with his injuries is a no-go. We can't afford to gamble on high-risk prospects. The smart move is to trade down for Andrew Booth or Kaiir Elam, a scheme fit made in heaven.

So right there we've addressed two of our greatest needs. What to do at 36? Tons of options. Boye Mafe is tempting if he's still there. So are Linderbaum or Kenyon Green if they somehow slip out of the 1st. Otherwise I'm inclined to go DL or LB. If there's an unexpected run on the position and Chenal and Asamoah are the highest picks left, it's hard not to take one of them.

By 67 it's hard to say how the board will look. If we don't have an EDGE and Cameron Thomas or Sam Williams are close to going, I want one of them. But I could also spring for WR Alec Pierce or a safety like Cross or Joseph. Having an extra pick or two in this part of the draft would help us out a lot.

81? That's a good spot for a guard if Strange, Ingram, or Hayes are there. As for the rest of the draft I'd like to get out with a RB who can alternate with Saquon, an extra OT or d-back, some kind of receiving threat at WR or TE, and maybe even Matt Araiza. If ever a punter was worth spending a draft pick on, he's the one. But I won't be at all surprised if Belichick snaps him up in the 5th. XD

I am valuing secondary as much as LB and EDGE, if not more, for two reasons. One, Wink Martindale's own words ("I’d rather have a corner that can cover than a guy that can rush because I’ll get guys to hit quarterbacks"). Two, we already have some talent at LB and EDGE. Martinez, Ojulari, and Williams are all still here, and if we improve our secondary and get them a real anchor on the interior (which they haven't had since Tomlinson left), those guys will have more time to pressure the QB than they did in '21.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

The big night is almost here. Here are my final thoughts (originally posted on BBH) and what I would do to start fixing this team.

Gardner is a no-brainer if he's there at 5. If he's gone, as I predict he will be, I take Neal or Cross and then entertain trade offers for #7. I'm not really attached to any of the 1st round pass rushers other than Hutch or Johnson, and Hutch will be gone anyway. Stingley with his injuries is a no-go. We can't afford to gamble on high-risk prospects. The smart move is to trade down for Andrew Booth or Kaiir Elam, a scheme fit made in heaven.

You can’t knock Stingley for playing injured and not the other two guys. Booth had a knee injury in school and now an MCL thing. I thought the knee was fixed but since the MCL injury kept him out of the combine (he needed surgery) that one could be a problem going forward. And Elam missed the cotton bowl in 2020 due to injury and then he missed three games this year no? I can’t recall if it was for Covid or some other injury. 

it’s all moot anyways cause I’m convinced Houston takes Stingley at 3. 

Edited by YogiBiz

5 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

You can’t knock Stingley for playing injured and not the other two guys. Booth had a knee injury in school and now an MCL thing. I thought the knee was fixed but since the MCL injury kept him out of the combine (he needed surgery) that one could be a problem going forward. And Elam missed the cotton bowl in 2020 due to injury and then he missed three games this year no? I can’t recall if it was for Covid or some other injury. 

I'm not knocking Stingley, and I'm not saying the other guys have been injury-free. I'm saying Stingley missed more games with injuries than they did, and I would shy away from him for that reason. I'm afraid he'll be the defensive version of Sterling Shepard.

If Schoen and Daboll still take him, I will trust the decision.

17 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I'm not knocking Stingley, and I'm not saying the other guys have been injury-free. I'm saying Stingley missed more games with injuries than they did, and I would shy away from him for that reason. I'm afraid he'll be the defensive version of Sterling Shepard.

If Schoen and Daboll still take him, I will trust the decision.

I don’t think Elam is as good as people think and he’s injured randomly and often. Honestly Stingley’s injury might be degenerative cause Lisfranc injuries are joint and severe ones can lead to arthritis. But if he’s 100% good he’s CB1. Injuries had a huge impact on his game imo, and to be honest I don’t want him at all because I think that injury is going to be a career long deal.  Ahmad is really good but pre injury was Stingley was looking really really good. 

4 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Nice with three defensive players taken we at worst have our pick of the top 2 Tackles. Would be great if the Jets also don't take a Tackle.

I'm hoping they fall for Thibs, leaving Sauce and all the OTs. Best case scenario IMO.