Draft Talk: Giants @ 1.5 & 1.7

Acgott

The latest reports have us showing interest in mobile, athletic tackle Charles Cross of MS State. (If true we almost certainly will have a chance at him, as Hill in Miami just puts more pressure on the Jets to take Hamilton or Gardner.) I answered with what is so far my ultimate mock:

CROSS at 8, McCREARY at 31, EBIKETIE at 36, ZION JOHNSON at 45 (?!), Kerby Joseph at 63, A. Pierce at 74, J. Ridgeway at 81, Rachaad White at 112, Jake Ferguson at 147, Zakoby McClain at 182, & Araiza at 190. Plus a 2023 1st & 3rd from the trade-down :)

This addresses every major need. McCreary and Joseph are two of the best press man guys in the draft, which Wink figures to play a lot of in his scheme. Zion falling that far is extremely unlikely but a no-brainer. Ebiketie scares the hell out of me. Throw in a new TE who can block and catch, a new RB who is also a big receiving threat, a younger NT, and a LB who is raw but tackles like a maniac.

The extra capital can help us secure a quarterback in next year's draft.

Edited by y*so*blu

5 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

So now apparently were trying to shop 1 of our 1st rd picks due to possibility of not being able to afford to pay them... Thanks Dave. I hope u rot. 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/25/financial-complications-may-lead-new-york-giants-2022-nfl-draft-day-trade/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=fishburne&utm_content=home-hero

Currently, the Giants have only $3.1 million in salary cap space and will need upwards of $12.5 million to spend on their 2022 NFL draft class — assuming they use all nine picks. And given the rates of pay for the fifth and seventh overall selections (specific to position), New York may not be able to afford those picks.

It's been my expectation for a while that we would use one of those picks to trade down and/or get future capital. I don't like being forced into it though. Schoen should have freed up more money.

In other news the Giants have attended the pro days for Cincinnati, Penn State, and Memphis. All prime targets. Cincinnati has Gardner, Bryan Cook, Alec Pierce, Jerome Ford, and many other good players. Penn State has Arnold Ebiketie, my favorite prospect at EDGE.

Edited by y*so*blu

Question for you Giants fans.  Assuming Bradberry is traded, and assuming you keep picks 5 and 7, is there any chance that you guys would pass on Ekwonu and instead double down on the secondary with Gardner and Hamilton?  Or, is Ekwonu a lock if he's there at 5, and if so who would you guys be wanting at 7 between Gardner and Hamilton?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eh3034 said:

Question for you Giants fans.  Assuming Bradberry is traded, and assuming you keep picks 5 and 7, is there any chance that you guys would pass on Ekwonu and instead double down on the secondary with Gardner and Hamilton?  Or, is Ekwonu a lock if he's there at 5, and if so who would you guys be wanting at 7 between Gardner and Hamilton?

I think it's possible but not likely, as @YogiBiz said a while ago. If either Ekwonu or Cross is available I expect us to go OL with one of those picks.

Really it all depends on what happens in #1-4. If Gardner, Hamilton and Thibs all go, it's a virtual guarantee we will take a lineman. On the other hand if Neal and Ekwonu don't make it to #5, chances are an elite defender will still be on the board.

And between Gardner and Hamilton I am leaning towards Gardner now. The Giants have shown plenty of interest in him, and Wink needs a good press man corner for his scheme. But I wouldn't be upset if we took Hamilton instead. I think he's a generational talent at safety.

Edited by y*so*blu

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

I think it's possible but not likely, as @YogiBiz said a while ago. If either Ekwonu or Cross is available I expect us to go OL with one of those picks.

Really it all depends on what happens in #1-4. If Gardner, Hamilton and Thibs all go, it's a virtual guarantee we will take a lineman. On the other hand if Neal and Ekwonu don't make it to #5, chances are an elite defender will still be on the board.

And between Gardner and Hamilton I am leaning towards Gardner now. The Giants have shown plenty of interest in him, and Wink needs a good press man corner for his scheme. But I wouldn't be upset if we took Hamilton instead. I think he's a generational talent at safety.

Thanks for replying! The way I see the board going is Hutch and Travon 1-2, and then for #3 I have Neal vs Gardner, but I'm leaning slightly towards Neal there. For #4, the Jets seem to want people to believe Ekwonu is an option, but I just don't see that making sense, and I have them debating Gardner vs Thibs and taking Thibs.  This leaves Gardner, Ekwonu, and Hamilton all available, and leading to my debate because I think all 3 would be great for the Giants.  No matter what, this seems to be a great year for the Giants to have these 2 picks, because it seems that all the non-QBs in the consensus top 10 boards are great fits, which is great for Giants fans but a nightmare to try to mock draft :)

• Like 2

With Neal, Hutch, Thibs and Ikem gone by four. Let’s play another mock draft lol

D5-AFB27-A-FD9-E-4-E47-9721-B43-BD8847-F
So first up we have a new CB1 in my eyes. Mostly due to an injury and surgery to Booth’s lower body, which could limit him moving forward as a DB. But back to Gardner. A dominate corner in college who was able to isolate a QB’s best target game in and game out. Very technically savvy in man I love how he attacks the football when running stride for stride with opposing WR’s. I think he could stand to get a bit stronger, but he is very active using his hands and length to bother WR at the line of scrimmage in press. He will be a very good one and replacement for Bradberry (more on that later).

Trade alert, Willis went 6 and the Chargers came a calling. 17, 79, 123, a 2022 2nd, and 4th Round Picks for 7. They moved up for Jordan Davis. I tried to get a first instead of a second and fourth but they wouldn’t take that counteroffer. So moving down to 17 and still being able to secure a tackle like Penning is a win. He’s a monster of an athlete, with the feet quickness power and speed to dominate in a zone scheme. Continued work on his pass sets is a must and tightening his hand placement (his timing is pretty good he just misses his mark more often than you’d like from what I’ve seen) but he should be a really good RT and answer a decade long issue with a decade of stability. 

Now moving to round 2 we have 2 picks, but how? More on that later. First we need another safety and with Boye Mafe going to the Texans at 36 I made my move to create a potentially dominate defensive backfield. Jaquan Brisker is a player with tremendous upside alongside McKinney. He has the range quickness and speed to cover deep, the skills to bottle slot WRs and the size and toughness to contest TE’s. He’d be S1 in a normal year (unfortunately Hamilton and Hill exist and to a much less extent some could say Cine could challenge him as well) a tad older but a really late bloomer with the ball skills length and athleticism to be good to great in coverage with more fine tuning (namely his transitions when defending deeper than his zone or helping on a deep guy). Attacking the run from the box is where he really shines however. He’s a dominate run defender with a sure tackling radius. He doesn’t miss many tackles, and he has really hit the daylights out of some ball carriers during his time at Happy Valley. 

Now I saw player I am enamored with and hope the giants draft him falling a bit at the end of round 2. So I sent out a Fifth round Lottery Ticket to move up 7 spots and secure my guy. We need a Nose Tackle. That is apparent. So I drafted a really good one.  When you turn on the UCONN defensive tape, you immediately notice the 6’4 325lb Travis Jones. He’s a dominate run defender, like fights through double teams and stuffs runs dominate. And you think that’s all he is, but then he pushes two interior lineman backwards on third down and single handily destroys pockets. Then you see him get single covered. Then you wonder how a guy that size bends like that. Or explodes like Jones does. This doesn’t even talk about his hands (he’s got big and strong ones) he doesn’t have the largest pass rush repertoire, but he definitely has some tools to work with. He is controlled and precise when he delivers his thunderous hand strikes, he almost always wins his block off first contact. So how did a guy like this fall to 60? Good question, but since he’s doesn’t have elite athletic traits just pretty good ones I think he’ll be fine. And help create a dominate trio of beefy boys up front for our D. 

Next we have Cade Otten at 79. My TE1 cause he can block. Effectively gain separation vs DBs on his routes, and he’s some of the best hands in the draft. While McBride was featured more in his offense, Otten found the end zone more often. He’s also a solid 6’5 250 is as fast as McBride and as quick while being stronger and a more refined willing and talented blocker. We luck out with our new TE guys. 

Now to 81 we get Ed Ingram! God send. Send it to the bank. We are leaving this draft with instant starters at RT and LG win for us. 

Another trade? This is from our newest rumors that the Chiefs are ramping up their search for a new CB. We send them Bradberry and a 2023 6th for picks 94 & 135. Good deal, be seeing you James. 

Now we are here at pick 94 and we walk away with a LB, but really his position should be athlete. FCS wunderkind Troy Anderson was a BIG Sky first team selection as a LB (2018, 2021) a QB (2019) and as a RB (2020). At 6’4 240 lbs and the athletic ability to scorch a 4.42 40 points to some kind of upside. But when you talk about raw this kid is about as raw as a still breathing cow. He will take extensive coaching and probably we wouldn’t see him get meaningful defensive snaps until later in his second year, but his flashes of dominance against the run (147 tackles in 2021 and 11 for a loss) and pass (7 pass breakups in 12 games in 2021 and 2 picks (with 1 pick 6)) point to some tremendous upside. Couple that with his athletic profile, the sky is the limit for Troy. He will be a core special trainer through his first couple seasons. Could also do some Taysom Hill plays with him behind center, or have him replace Saquon (just kidding he’s too tall to play rb). 

On to round 4 where things get fun, so first at 112 we walk away with our first EDGE. We get Tyreke Smith. A guy who I have ranked in my top 70. I think he’s got excellent upside due to his ability to explode off the LoS as well as his ability to win using his hands over his athletic traits. Now he’s still green behind the ears with not a lot of starting experience or experience as pure rusher. Ohio State used him in all sorts of roles, was asked to drop in coverage as well as attack the passer from different alignments. Was a good run defender and has the ability to clear himself of blocks quite easily. He needs some weight in his pants to not lose to pure power tackles, and will struggle early. But he’s got the upside to bet on, and he could a formidable pass rush armada with Azeez, Roche, and Jordan Smith. If he busts we could just trade up for Azeez younger brother next year.

Fastfoward to 121 and I see Alec Pierce falling, but I say nay. I instead thought BPA at the point was a Punter. Yes. You read that right. I have a punter ranked in my top 100. That’s how special “Punt God” is. Prodigious power in his leg, he’s the definition of flipping field position. I don’t like Gillian’s face, and he’s a pretty bad punter (at least worse than Dixon). If he cared more about not getting touchbacks Matt would be going top 75. This a win win. We either get an above average punter or get an elite one on a fourth round rookie deal? Sign me up for some PUNT GOD!!!

If you follow these mocks, you already know how I view Pierce. A deep class pushes him very far down the board, but he still has enormous upside, as he combines speed, quickness, hands and size like many good receivers before him  Lets make a team!

Saquon Replacement is going to make DG feel stupid. Saquon Replacement will show why drafting a RB at #2 over the soon to be highest paid Guard of all time was stupid. Saquon Replacement is a very talented runner, who attacks with patience and decisiveness. Saquon Replacement has 1K back potential because of his ability to fight through most petty attempts at contact. Saquon Replacement is a very talented bruising north south runner with enough juice to breakaway from linebackers and safeties in bad angles, Saquon also has some nice hips, very elusive and quick for a bigger back. He won’t make a whole team miss, but if you don’t wrap up he will get past you in a hurry. Saquon Replacement is Jerome Ford and will make us forget we ever drafted a RB top 5. 

Last but not least Michael Woods II. This is a flier. He’s got speed and quickness along with size to be a starter, he needs more experience against high level competitors, he’s just not there yet and has no discernible skills other than his baseball gloves for hands and athleticism. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

If you follow these mocks, you already know how I view Pierce. A deep class pushes him very far down the board, but he still has enormous upside, as he combines speed, quickness, hands and size like many good receivers before him  Lets make a team!

Great minds think alike! I just did one that's exactly the same at secondary, TE and Punt God. 🍻 Further down the order is a little different because I don't see Pierce even making it out of the 3rd round. The Patriots will be sitting right there at #85--and the Packers at #92 who have lost their two best receivers. Neither will hesitate to pull the trigger. But at #81, we can rescue Alec from that fate! To wit:

Gardner at 5, trade down with Seattle, Brisker at 36, bolster the line with Kinnard at 40 and Parham at 41, then highly productive EDGE Sam Williams at 72, and Pierce at 81. Then I trade down with Baltimore to grab Otton at 128, our new NT Jayden Peevy at 139, and Rachaad White at 152 (an absolute steal if he falls that far, which I doubt). Then finish off the last rounds with Zakoby McClain at 182 who is raw but hits like an escaped mental patient, and finally Araiza at 192.

Would've liked to get Leo Chenal and kick return ace Velus Jones Jr., but there's only so much you can do in one draft.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Great minds think alike! I just did one that's exactly the same at secondary, TE and Punt God. 🍻 Further down the order is a little different because I don't see Pierce even making it out of the 3rd round. The Patriots will be sitting right there at #85--and the Packers at #92 who have lost their two best receivers. Neither will hesitate to pull the trigger. But at #81, we can rescue Alec from that fate! To wit:

Gardner at 5, trade down with Seattle, Brisker at 36, bolster the line with Kinnard at 40 and Parham at 41, then highly productive EDGE Sam Williams at 72, and Pierce at 81. Then I trade down with Baltimore to grab Otton at 128, our new NT Jayden Peevy at 139, and Rachaad White at 152 (an absolute steal if he falls that far, which I doubt). Then finish off the last rounds with Zakoby McClain at 182 who is raw but hits like an escaped mental patient, and finally Araiza at 192.

Would've liked to get Leo Chenal and kick return ace Velus Jones Jr., but there's only so much you can do in one draft.

Yeah I don’t think we’d get two seconds for moving down from 7 to 9. At most we’d get a second this year and two thirds next like the Jets and Colts trade a few years back. 

I also don’t like Kennard in a zone scheme. He’s basically Will Hernandez with better punch timing. It’s a bad fit imo.

Pharam is an interesting prospect imo, his best fit will probably be Center in the NFL but he’d have to play guard in the nfl starting out and he doesn’t have the sand in his pants (so to speak) to get physical with big interior D-Lineman. He’s also never played center, so he will struggle early on and taking Kennard compounds this issue a makes it so your pick 41 won’t play for at least a season. Switching to Center is not an easy as a transition as people think. If he figures out; he could be a starting center for a good line, but if he doesn’t he will be a worse James Daniels who won’t get playing time.

Otten is actually the guy that won’t make it to round 4. He does everything you ask of a TE at a high level and McBride is the only other really good TE prospect in this class . Pierce on the other hand has a laundry list of competitors for a spot in the top 3 rounds. I think he can go as early as the second if someone is enamored with him, but I could see him getting selected over cause that’s how deep this WR class is. 

Sam Williams wasn’t really super productive, but he flashes so many positive traits on tape (speed to power consistently wins: check can bend like Plastic Man: Check has massive strength in his hands: Check elite speed: Check) Williams is going to be really good in a blitz heavy scheme like Wink loves to run. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Think Tyler Smith would be better?

I like him a ton and think he could fit in any scheme, but someone is going draft him in round 2 to play tackle. Honestly drafting Pharam now and have him play LG for a year or two while Jon holds down OC. and using the Kinnard pick on a different position would probably be the way to go in that scenario. 

24 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

I like him a ton and think he could fit in any scheme, but someone is going draft him in round 2 to play tackle. Honestly drafting Pharam now and have him play LG for a year or two while Jon holds down OC. and using the Kinnard pick on a different position would probably be the way to go in that scenario. 

Kinda like what the packers did with Elgton Jenkins 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I can trust a mock site that has Kyle Philips going before Alec Pierce. And makes you pay for a "premium account" if you want to do trades. Even without that option I got a pretty good lineup on Draft Network: Cross at 5, Gardner at 7, Brisker at 36, Otton at 67, Williams at 81, Pierce at 112, Rachaad White at 147, Thayer Munford at 173, and Araiza at 182.