Draft Talk: Giants @ 1.5 & 1.7

Acgott

On 2/19/2022 at 10:59 AM, YogiBiz said:

I think we are going to be cutting a lot more guys than people think. Especially with Bradberry and Martinez. We save around 20M on just those two. Not to mention restructures on other deals, the maybe Barkley move. 

This team has an Avenue to around 40M in cap space. With the draft assets in place you could convince me is moving off some high priced veteran defenders and offensive guys (Shepard and Barkley). That Avenue also doesn’t include a Williams restructure. 

Cutting Bradberry, Martinez, Shepard, Dixon, Booker, Rudolph, and restructuring Jackson would get us ~37M just over 40M if Gates retires. Our cap situation isn’t the worst. It just looks bad cause we are going to have to eat some dead money. We could effectively go after Austin Corbett Connor Williams or James Daniels to man the Guard position or we could go Brian Allen Ben Jones or Matt Paradis for the Center spot. I could see us going hard after one of the Rams guys. Cause they literally can’t pay everyone this off-season. 

My kinda realistic dream scenario for the Line next season is Thomas-Williams-Allen-Ingram-Ekwonu

After looking into it we have ~12M less actual cap space that we can use to work with. So we could potentially have 28M of Cap Soace to work with before a Barkley trade. With a Barkley trade it’s something like 35M in space. 

A guy I’m really starting to like if we stay at 7 and the Jets take Ikem. Is Trevor Penning. Dude is a beast. And way more athletic than I thought. Only person he really struggled with at the Senior Bowl was Johnson (everyone did). He’s going to a be a really good RT me thinks. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

If we truly move on from Saquon this offseason, a guy I would love for the Giants to look at is Kyren Williams from Notre Dame.  I think the kid is a star.

Kyren Williams is an early 3rd round kind of guy. I'm looking more at guys like Cook from Georgia, Dameon Pierce from Florida, and Rachad White from ASU who are more like 5th round guys for the Giants.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Kyren Williams is an early 3rd round kind of guy. I'm looking more at guys like Cook from Georgia, Dameon Pierce from Florida, and Rachad White from ASU who are more like 5th round guys for the Giants.

Let me preface this by saying I'm a Notre Dame fan and biased, but I just think Williams is a star in the making.  The only thing he has going against him is size.  Don't know the other guys that well, but if we can get a legit starting rb on a rookie contract in the third round, sign me up.

So I did another Mock. 

take a gander. This is my we will save the O-Line Mock. With a trade. AND A NEW QB?!?!

CDE3-FBF3-F66-D-4-EEB-A468-98973-B441727

Quick Notes:

Neal is OT1 this year. It’s close if we’re talking potential franchise RTs between him and Ikem. However, he fell and Ikem went #4 to the Jets. I pounced and grabbed the bigger stronger and more technically sound of the two prospects. 

Booth Jr is still CB. Getting him and a plethora of picks for the Browns to go get Willis was a god send. 

Going to the second round I was thinking I’d add BPA at both slots. Luckily, Zion Johnson fell to 36. A player with true scheme versatility, Johnson can play very well out the gate thanks to his polish and athletic traits. His hands are clean, precise, and typically free of penalties. His footwork is amongst the best in the class. If only he could match his power to his other traits he’d be a top 20 guy. While offering sufficient power, he’s not a mauler who will remove defenders in the path of the run game. His lower body has good flexibility and allows him to get a controlled and strong anchor. Day 1 Starter

Now Pick 44 was an outta left field pick. As Trey McBride went 43 and he was my primary target. However my 28th rated prospect fell to 44 and I felt I had to scoop a potential Franchise Signal Caller. Howell’s production suffered greatly when his supporting cast fell off a cliff; however, I think he made a better case this year to be a FRP than last. Compared to last season, I think Howell improved his decision making as well as improving his ability to read a defense two key factors for a QB’s development. His arm strength is really good as he generates plenty of power behind his throws to anywhere on the field. His mobility is an enticing feature as only Malik Willis made had on average more yards after initial contact than Howell in the country (among QBs) he’s not a Willis level burner but he’s a guy who has enough juice to make spectacular play or two. I think Dabboll and Schoen look to improve the QB room by any means necessary.

Parham is a guy who played every position but center for the Memphis O-Line. But after his good showing at the shrine practices (where he predominantly took center snaps) as well as when he went to Mobile. He looked comfortable while not suffering technical burps in his game (other than the first time snapping jitters, but he learned quickly). Really good at nearly all levels but is more of a Zone only type of Center Prospect. Luckily we need one of those too. Frame is too slight to play other positions along the line. Center only prospect. 

Jalen like I said last time is a 6’5” 260 playmaker who might likely hit in the sub 4.6 in the 40. Great hands and nuanced route running give you a high potential pass catching TE. His pass catching is a head of his blocking, but he’s a guy who shows a good temperament when blocking and brings the fire on those plays as well. 

Sam Williams a power edge rusher with just enough bend to make teams worry. His speed to power game is a sight to behold and his toolbox is filled with clean and precise counters and footwork. However he’s not an elite athlete when it comes to flexibility and quickness nor does he posses elite straight line speed. 

Tyreke Smith is a really good athlete that has a long way to go before he’s game day ready. If he reaches his potential he’s a good-to really good pass rusher that can play really well when paired with a more dynamic rusher. 

Sanborn isn’t an elite defender in coverage, because of his limited hips and quickness in the short area. But he’s got some speed too him and attacks ball carriers like a missile. He’s a high upside blitzer and run defender. He can survive in zone thanks to his speed but his lack of quickness is apparent when having to go for the ball. Good route runners make him look silly.  

Allgeier is a powerful in between the tackle runner with the speed to take it the distance. While he’ll make his money on the short yardage he has the potential to bust out huge gains evidenced by his speed on tape and his multiple 40 yard+ runs. His third down work is average at best and he doesn’t posses that shiftiness that wins one on ones in space. He’s got really good hands, but he’s a bad route runner and gets no separation (unless it’s running down the seem) when he was used in this area. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 7:37 AM, YogiBiz said:

So. Jelani Woods everyone?

His height makes him naturally difficult to cover, he has pretty good hands, and he can go right through defenders if he gets a running start. He doesn't show great on-field speed or balance, though. Rather easily upended by leg tackles, even from defenders two thirds his size. Didn't see him throw any effective blocks but maybe I watched the wrong highlight packages.

I'd be concerned if he was the best we could draft at TE. Would rather have Wydermyer, Dulcich, Ferguson, even Kolar or Krull.

10 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

His height makes him naturally difficult to cover, he has pretty good hands, and he can go right through defenders if he gets a running start. He doesn't show great on-field speed or balance, though. Rather easily upended by leg tackles, even from defenders two thirds his size. Didn't see him throw any effective blocks but maybe I watched the wrong highlight packages.

I'd be concerned if he was the best we could draft at TE. Would rather have Wydermyer, Dulcich, Ferguson, even Kolar or Krull.

Yeah he’s a more of a potential guy. He has pretty thin legs for a 6’7” now that I’ve really gone back to see his tape. His pretty splashy, but he’s really average. Idk if he can add more mass to his lower body, I think that’ll really help him as a big bodied contestes catch guy. He’s also go the speed to run away from defenders so Therese that. 

I personally want McBride or Wydermyer as well. I think they’re gonna be studs. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

Yeah he’s a more of a potential guy. He has pretty thin legs for a 6’7” now that I’ve really gone back to see his tape. His pretty splashy, but he’s really average. Idk if he can add more mass to his lower body, I think that’ll really help him as a big bodied contestes catch guy. He’s also go the speed to run away from defenders so Therese that. 

I personally want McBride or Wydermyer as well. I think they’re gonna be studs. 

That would be great. I especially want a proven blocker like McBride, Ruckert, or Ferguson. But even a guy with good hands who never blocks (like Dulcich) could be an upgrade over Evan Engram. 

My favorite mocks have us taking Hamilton and Ekwonu in the 1st. After that I'd love Elam or McCreary at corner, Ojabo at EDGE, or another o-lineman depending on which is available. Then fit in Alec Pierce, Leo Chenal, a decent RB, a nose tackle, and one of the TEs listed above.

Some mocks still have us going EDGE at #5 and I just don't see it. Hutchinson will absolutely be gone, Karlaftis will probably be gone, and Thibobeaux has question marks floating over him. Furthermore Wink's defensive scheme absolutely demands that we pick up studs in the secondary to replace Peppers and Bradberry, who will almost certainly be leaving. Without quality and depth in the backfield, that scheme will fail. EDGE and LB can wait.

9 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Some mocks still have us going EDGE at #5 and I just don't see it. Hutchinson will absolutely be gone, Karlaftis will probably be gone, and Thibobeaux has question marks floating over him. Furthermore Wink's defensive scheme absolutely demands that we pick up studs in the secondary to replace Peppers and Bradberry, who will almost certainly be leaving. Without quality and depth in the backfield, that scheme will fail. EDGE and LB can wait.

What makes you think Karlaftis will be gone at #5? I've seen no hype on him. I wish he would be gone by #5 because it means one of the two OTs gets to us but I think he's going to drop to the bottom of the first round.

7 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

What makes you think Karlaftis will be gone at #5? I've seen no hype on him. I wish he would be gone by #5 because it means one of the two OTs gets to us but I think he's going to drop to the bottom of the first round.

The site I use for mocks almost invariably has him going in the top five, so I assumed he was that big a deal. Could be wrong though.

Admittedly, I don't know that much about Wink's defense. But I find it hard to believe that a DB is more valuable than a stud pass-rusher in any scheme. Guys like Aaron Donald, TJ Watt, Micah Parsons etc are massively disruptive no matter the scheme. I'd love to hear what X's and O's can make a DB have more of an impact than those kind of guys.

Edited by w4rrior723