Draft Talk: Giants @ 1.5 & 1.7

Acgott

Alright making my official prediction(s) for the draft:

1. I think we take Evan Neal at 5. I think Ekwonu will be the only OL off the board before we pick and I don't see us passing up on Neal.

2. I do think we're trading out of #7. Between the salary cap issues, depth of draft, and potential desire for an additional 1st rounder next year I think we trade out. 

3. Next 3 picks after Neal will be defense. I know TE is an obvious need and RB is a likely need but they have to set this defense up for a future that doesn't include Blake, Bradberry, probably Adoree after this season, at least one of LWill or Lawrence gone after this season and oh they have no EDGE rushers. 

4. TE will be addressed but not until Day 3. 

5. We don't end up selecting a RB.

Edited by GMENNATION
Typo of Ekwonu instead of Neal
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

Alright making my official prediction(s) for the draft:

1. I think we take Evan Neal at 5. I think Ekwonu will be the only OL off the board before we pick and I don't see us passing up on Neal.

2. I do think we're trading out of #7. Between the salary cap issues, depth of draft, and potential desire for an additional 1st rounder next year I think we trade out. 

3. Next 3 picks after Ekwonu will be defense. I know TE is an obvious need and RB is a likely need but they have to set this defense up for a future that doesn't include Blake, Bradberry, probably Adoree after this season, at least one of LWill or Lawrence gone after this season and oh they have no EDGE rushers. 

4. TE will be addressed but not until Day 3. 

5. We don't end up selecting a RB.

I hope all those come true, except for the last one. Saquon's lost it and there are too many good prospects at the position. Even taking a RB in the 6th would be better than none at all.

I don't think Neal makes it out of the top 3 but I'll be over the moon if we get him, or Cross for that matter. I like Ickey too; it's just that I think he'll have to switch to guard to succeed at this level, and that means more growing pains.

Edited by y*so*blu

On 4/1/2022 at 1:20 PM, y*so*blu said:

I hope all those come true, except for the last one. Saquon's lost it and there are too many good prospects at the position. Even taking a RB in the 6th would be better than none at all.

I don't think Neal makes it out of the top 3 but I'll be over the moon if we get him, or Cross for that matter. I like Ickey too; it's just that I think he'll have to switch to guard to succeed at this level, and that means more growing pains.

Why would he have to move to guard?

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

Why would he have to move to guard?

Despite his athleticism, he's not very effective while in motion and does get beat by faster EDGE rushers. I'm not saying he can't be a good tackle, but I think he would have an easier time on the inside where he won't have to move around as much.

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

Despite his athleticism, he's not very effective while in motion and does get beat by faster EDGE rushers. I'm not saying he can't be a good tackle, but I think he would have an easier time on the inside where he won't have to move around as much.

The only one of three top tackles that’s elite in pass pro is Cross. But he’s Charmin Ultra Soft in the running game. 

Ekwonu’s problem isn’t bad lateral movement. He’s just not able to frame his sets effectively enough to be prepared for inside counters which is is only real glaring weakness in pass pro. Tightening up his footwork is going to be key to his development on the outside. He’s got no trouble mirroring guys that tried to ride his outside shoulder. 

I think Neal is much more likely to be moved inside cause of his lateral mobility. But I think he also has enough juice that if he gets precise with his framing it should be fine. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'd be ok with that as long as neither Neal or Ekwonu are there.

Schrager’s full mock had us passing on Neal. Ralph V has us selecting Cross, but doesn’t confirm if the other OT are there.

With Cross, funnily enough, I'm not worried about his run blocking. I'm more worried about 2 things: he's got no experience at all on the right side, and he got by a lot on his athleticism in college. He made a decent number of mistakes that would be punished harshly in the NFL. He isn't technically sound. If we drafted Cross, it would make the most sense to move Andrew Thomas to the right side, which I would hate doing.

Neal and Ekwonu are both better prospects and have more positional versatility. Neal played some RT and while Ekwonu only played on the left side, he played both guard and tackle, showing he has some base level of versatility.

Cross is a super hard worker, a very athletic guy, and had good-great results in college, specifically in pass blocking. I still like the other 2 better.