I'm torn...

mwalker

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

I agree, but they usually dont pan out as well as they look on paper.

I think they win the name game every year. They always get the “they got THAT guy?!” reaction. 

I thought they really missed an opportunity last year. Not often teams like the Ravens get 2 first round picks and they took a receiver (in an offense that doesn’t focus on passing) and an edge (in a defense that’s built on blitzing). I think they are both really talented players, but I was glad as a Steelers fan when they took them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I agree, but they usually dont pan out as well as they look on paper.

this says it all. We can get all hyped up and then for what? In the end, it's how the players end up panning out on the field in this scheme.  Everyone said Lawrence was a generational QB, now this year many coaches and executives are saying otherwise.  I'm shocked Harris has done as well considering the issues here with the OL and passing game. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Lawrence needs a team around him. Payton Manning was 3-13 in his rookie season.  It took them 4 years to build a decent team around him.  Unless Lawrence gets a total crap GM, I would give him some time to see what they can do.

exactly, no matter how good the hyped up QB is, he will need talented teammates as well.  Jags could be trending up  but they don't play wentz every week  🤩

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Lawrence needs a team around him. Payton Manning was 3-13 in his rookie season.  It took them 4 years to build a decent team around him.  Unless Lawrence gets a total crap GM, I would give him some time to see what they can do.

While I completely agree and think it was laughable people were/are already calling him a bust...I think that "generational talent" tag sets an almost unrealistic standard.

Yeah...when you draft number 1, you want to get a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady. Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes level player, but even with "generational talents", its usually not going to end up that way.      Andrew Luck was a "generational talent" and while he was really good, he never became the bonafide elite HOF esque QB he was expected to be.    Perhaps if he didnt retire early and suffer a bunch of injuries he couldve gotten even better....but even in his prime and at his best, he had some notable flaws in his game.

Bottom line....Trevor needs both a better team around him, and people need to stop expecting him to be something he will probably never be.   As long as he can be a franchise QB that the Jags can win with, thats good enough.

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I think they win the name game every year. They always get the “they got THAT guy?!” reaction. 

I thought they really missed an opportunity last year. Not often teams like the Ravens get 2 first round picks and they took a receiver (in an offense that doesn’t focus on passing) and an edge (in a defense that’s built on blitzing). I think they are both really talented players, but I was glad as a Steelers fan when they took them. 

I just find it funny that Steeler fans got so jealous when the Ravens took guys like Arthur Brown, Maxx Williams, Kamalei Correa, Tyus Bowser and Patrick Queen, yet most of the best players the Ravens have drafted (not counting guys we never had a shot at like Marlon Humphrey and Ronnie Stanley), were not guys most Steeler fans were banging the table for.

Thats happened with the Bengals and Browns too....although not quite as much.

Bottom line...its cool to want us to draft certain players, but the players fans want dont always work out.    Difference is, unlike coaches and GMs, there are no repercussions when we're wrong.   ^_^

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 43M said:

I just find it funny that Steeler fans got so jealous when the Ravens took guys like Arthur Brown, Maxx Williams, Kamalei Correa, Tyus Bowser and Patrick Queen, yet most of the best players the Ravens have drafted (not counting guys we never had a shot at like Marlon Humphrey and Ronnie Stanley), were not guys most Steeler fans were banging the table for.

Thats happened with the Bengals and Browns too....although not quite as much.

Bottom line...its cool to want us to draft certain players, but the players fans want dont always work out.    Difference is, unlike coaches and GMs, there are no repercussions when we're wrong.   ^_^

Yea, agree. That's why I said pre-draft.
Truth is they deep dive on these guys medically, psychologically 
and every other way now, so they just have more insight than we ever will.
So many players you think will be great just don't turn out.
That's part of the fun of it all I guess.