A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

45 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

His background looks all over the place. I always just think of him as a not particularly good HC for the Bucs but I'm not sure how much weight that holds over 10 years later. Would be interesting for sure. 

Not many HCs could win with Josh Freeman as your starting QB...and he managed to go 10-6 with Freeman in his 2nd year...unfortunately, he was a young coach with the youngest roster in the league.  I don't think he was a bad HC, he just had no support.  He is also the last Buccaneer head coach to have double digit wins until Arians a year ago.  If they had stuck with him as they rebuilt, I think they would have been far better off then they were.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Not many HCs could win with Josh Freeman as your starting QB...and he managed to go 10-6 with Freeman in his 2nd year...unfortunately, he was a young coach with the youngest roster in the league.  I don't think he was a bad HC, he just had no support.  He is also the last Buccaneer head coach to have double digit wins until Arians a year ago.  If they had stuck with him as they rebuilt, I think they would have been far better off then they were.  

Yeah. Sometimes you’ve got to look at a guys surroundings before making a judgement. If a guy failed with an organization like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, or Baltimore, then I’d stay as far away as possible, but failing with organizations like Tampa Bay and the Jets (Bowles), should be given a free pass.  

• Like 1

Basically the only box that Morris doesn’t check is that he’s not a classically trained offensive minded coach. But he’s not a typical defensive coach, either. 

Morris, as noted, was the Falcons passing game coordinator from 2015 to 2019. Maybe our local coach @RpMc can give us some insight on what the means in relation to the offensive coordinator?

Edited by SemperFeist

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Basically the only box that Morris doesn’t check is that he’s not a classically trained offensive minded coach. But he’s not a typical defensive coach, either. 

Morris, as noted, was the Falcons passing game coordinator from 2015 to 2019. Maybe our local coach @RpMc can give us some insight on what the means in relation to the offensive coordinator?

Passing/Running game coordinators take on the extra responsibilities over what they’d normally have as a position coach. Position coaches largely make suggestions to the coordinator who may, or may not listen to them; passing/running game coordinators work with the OC to install/implement game plans on a week to week basis. Basically adds more weight to their opinion and more money in their pocket based on their expertise. 

Receiver/QB coaches often worK as passing game coordinators. OL coaches as run game coordinators. Morris being a DB by trade probably made him excellent in diagnosing coverages of upcoming opponents and game planning around what concepts attack those coverages the best. 

Morris certainly does have a lot going for him in terms of the coaches he’s worked with/for and the roles that he’s had. 

i tend to be leery of the “good old boys” nature of the game but he’s got some big names who think incredibly highly of him. 

Defensively he’s worked within major schemes (Kiffin’s Tampa 2, Rip/Liz Match 3, and now a quarters base in LA; the only major influence he’s missing is the Bellichik cover 1). Offensively working with McVay, Shannahan.

Not the name that I expected to fall for this coaching cycle, but he seems like a good fit for what this team needs. 

Looking at the backgrounds, résumés, and qualifications that I’ve found written about each head coaching candidate that the Vikings have requested an interview from, I’m surprised to find myself saying that Raheem Morris may be the only candidate on the list where you need to make a compelling argument as to why he SHOULDN’T be the next head coach. Whereas the other candidates are more on the side of making a compelling argument as to why they SHOULD be the next head coach. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Looking at the backgrounds, résumés, and qualifications that I’ve found written about each head coaching candidate that the Vikings have requested an interview from, I’m surprised to find myself saying that Raheem Morris may be the only candidate on the list where you need to make a compelling argument as to why he SHOULDN’T be the next head coach. Whereas the other candidates are more on the side of making a compelling argument as to why they SHOULD be the next head coach. 

The only thing that I've seen pointed to is his existing HC record; 17-31 with the Bucs and then 4-7 as the interim HC for the Falcons.  Looking in to either of those situations tells you that he wasn't exactly set up to succeed.

24 minutes ago, RpMc said:

The only thing that I've seen pointed to is his existing HC record; 17-31 with the Bucs and then 4-7 as the interim HC for the Falcons.  Looking in to either of those situations tells you that he wasn't exactly set up to succeed.

And I see his past experience in the role as a plus. Primarily because what you mention, he wasn’t exactly set up to succeed. Those lessons are invaluable.