A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

hey guys, i know this is being discussed in another thread, but i suggest it be closed and we go here instead.

lurkers come to this site and want NEWS and the ability to see it quickly and see something new has happened. not wade through a 18 page thread to happen to learn a BIG development.

mods, might you agree...?

mods...? mods...? do we have mods...?

Edited by vike daddy

A little surprised to see Spielman let go. Rumor has it he was actually working on identifying new head coaching candidates last week, so even Spielman was blindsided by the news. Either way, this is time.

With Zimmer an Spielman gone, though, you have to wonder what the Vikings will do with Kirk Cousins. More than likely everyone who worked to bring him in in 2018 will be gone. His stats are inarguable, but his contract is a liability. I would guess it's a 50/50 shot he is traded/extended by the start of the new league year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Sorry to double post, but my girlfriend sent me this article about the Vikings coaching search. I would be shocked if Lane Kiffin was even interviewed, considering the Vikings likely want stability. But he would be an innovative offensive mind that has seen success everywhere he has gone.

His personality would immediately turn off the Wilfs.  I always tell people that, growing up in Bloomington as I did, I was a senior at Kennedy and he was a sophomore over at Jefferson and I can guarantee he was probably as much of a d-bag then as he is now.  I love Monte, can't stand Lane.  He must have gotten that attitude growing up in the entitled West side of Bloomington.  🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ouch, ruling by fear. didn't know it had got that bad with Zimmer.

It seemed that it had to me, I’ve worked under guys like Zimmer and they weren’t leaders they were bosses who weren’t respected. The fear umbrella may have worked 20 years ago but certainly doesn’t anymore. I think a young offensive minded coach could make a big difference. I’d love to see fangio brought in as defensive coordinator. I realize Bienemy is low hanging fruit but I think in this case he checks all the boxes. Plus the Wilfs and this community already have history with him. 

• Like 3

Wilf statement: 

“We appreciate Rick and Mike’s commitment to the team’s on-field success, their passion for making a positive impact in our community and their dedication to players, coaches and staff. While these decisions are not easy, we believe it is time for new leadership to elevate our team so we can consistently contend for championships. We wish both Rick and Mike and their families only the best.

“Our comprehensive search for a new general manager and head coach will begin immediately and will be led internally. We are determined to have sustained success and bring Vikings fans the Super Bowl championships they expect and deserve.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/10/vikings-vow-to-consistently-contend-for-championships/

Edited by vike daddy

Players in these exit interviews don’t seem too busted up about Zimmer being gone. That says a lot to me. 

And the fact that ownership and many of these players have all used the word “collaboration”, probably gives a key insight to how things were being handled. 

• Like 1