Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

11 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Landon Collins got the boot from Wash after refusing a second paycut. There was some smoke regarding our interest in him the last time he was a FA iirc but he broke the bank and we got Honey Badger. More traditional box safety that liked to pop running backs but not much of a coverage guy, had a down year after tearing an Achilles the year before. I could possibly see him taking a 1 yr deal (28y/o) to rehab his image and get paid again.  🤷

Collins could work as the dime LB/S hybrid spot that we have occasionally used Sorensen or Niemann for, but he would have to be cheap as I think you still need a proper starting S to go alongside Thornhill. Collins would be a Sorensen replacement, not a Mathieu one, IMO.

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Collins could work as the dime LB/S hybrid spot that we have occasionally used Sorensen or Niemann for, but he would have to be cheap as I think you still need a proper starting S to go alongside Thornhill. Collins would be a Sorensen replacement, not a Mathieu one, IMO.

Replacing Niemann at the dime LB is a plus.

More to the point, we have not had a true SS in recent memory. Collins would  be bringing something new to the team. 

I'm leaning more in support of drafting Dax Hill at Safety at #30.

He'd make a fine FS which we need. We'd need to support him thru learning pains, but that's ok

T. Mathieu needs to just walk. His playing time will probably be compromised as he's getting hurt more as he gets older.

38 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

He'd make a fine FS which we need. We'd need to support him thru learning pains, but that's ok

T. Mathieu needs to just walk. His playing time will probably be compromised as he's getting hurt more as he gets older.

He’s still out best safety by a wide margin, and what he brings to that locker room is something we’ll struggle to replace.

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Hill is probably worthy of the pick but he does not stand out from Pitre and Cine. One of them should be available in the second round. Good players will be available on day #3. This draft is deep in safeties.

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Hill is probably worthy of the pick but he does not stand out from Pitre and Cine. One of them should be available in the second round.

I'll disagree. It's really no contest:

#1 Hill is the best FREE safety. He had a great Combine. He was the best Safety at the 3 cone drill (6.57 sec.) and the 20yd. shuttle drill (4.06 sec.)

#2 Scouting grades give Hill a score of 88 (good-Next Gen Stats) and 6.33 (NFL.com website);

Pitre received a score of 77 and 6.12/ good backup with potential to start. 

Cine received a score of 74/avg. and 6.23/eventually an avg. starter

#3 Hill received 3 different scout grades of 85.50/100, 87.00/100, 85.00/100; First rd. value (TDN website)

Pitre received a scouting grade of 73.00; 4th. rd. value

Cine received a scouting grade of 75.00; 3rd. rd. value

Edited by mayanfootball

You can make that case. The question is whther you want to have Hill and Nik Bonito or David Ojabo and Jalen Pitre? I'm going with option #2 because we already have a FS in Juan Thornhill.

You cannot draft Tyrann Mathieu. The only do-anything player in the draft is Kyle Hamilton and we are not getting him. We have a true FS. What we need is SS, hence the interest in Collins. 

J

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

You can make that case. The question is whther you want to have Hill and Nik Bonito or David Ojabo and Jalen Pitre? I'm going with option #2 because we already have a FS in Juan Thornhill.

You cannot draft Tyrann Mathieu. The only do-anything player in the draft is Kyle Hamilton and we are not getting him. We have a true FS. What we need is SS, hence the interest in Collins. 

J

At this point Collins is more of a LB.  I just don’t think that’s where our money is best spent.  I also don’t think Ojabo falls to us, but that’s just me.

11 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

At this point Collins is more of a LB.  I just don’t think that’s where our money is best spent.  I also don’t think Ojabo falls to us, but that’s just me.

Granted that Collins leans to LB which is why the enthusians is muted. That said, he would be a good addition to the LB corps and could help the depth issues at S. 

The point is that SS is a position of need. Sorensen was always so-so and now he cannot do it at all. Run support oriented safties are still available on the 3rd day. However, that does not solve the problem that Mathieu will likely not be back. 

Even assuming thatr Ward is back, we need a player to own the SS role and we need to figure out how to divide up Mathieu's many roles. Sneed is just as versatile so the project is doable, but there will be an break-in period. 

All of this goes back to the DL. Do they re-sign Clark to a lesser contract or do they get a veteran like Ogbah and draft a DE with their first pick? Those options are focussed on winning again this season. The third option is a roster overhaul and again DL is the draft priority. 

Somewhat related, this is an article on Mathieu's value as a FA.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/12/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-nfl-free-agency-espn-cbs-sports-tyrann-mathieu-market-value/

Edited by onejayhawk

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Even assuming thatr Ward is back, we need a player to own the SS role and we need to figure out how to divide up Mathieu's many roles. Sneed is just as versatile so the project is doable, but there will be an break-in period. 

If Sneed is moving all over like Mathieu did, who is filling Sneed’s role?  I know you said if Ward is back.  The more I think about it, the less I think the first pick can be anything but defense, which likely means it’ll be offense.  I really hope we get a solid FA safety, especially with Thornhill being a FA after next year.

13 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

If Sneed is moving all over like Mathieu did, who is filling Sneed’s role?  I know you said if Ward is back.  The more I think about it, the less I think the first pick can be anything but defense, which likely means it’ll be offense.  I really hope we get a solid FA safety, especially with Thornhill being a FA after next year.

If Mathieu is gone, the responsibilities need to be revisited. The real question is who will cover the slot receiver. That's one thing both Sneed and Mathieu excelled at doing. Don't forget Fenton. He's a solid press corner. Baker is an unmeasured asset. 

The first pick is still going to lean toward Edge or DT unless someone like Charles Cross or Jameson Williams is there.

J

21 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The question is whther you want to have Hill and Nik Bonito or David Ojabo and Jalen Pitre? I'm going with option #2 because we already have a FS in Juan Thornhill.

That's not the question. You said:

....he (Hill) does not stand out from Pitre and Cine. One of them should be available in the second round.

You were wrong. I showed you why you were wrong in the Combine achievements. Also Hill is a 1st. rd. pick while Pitre and Cine are 3rd./4th rd. picks.

Edited by mayanfootball

1 minute ago, mayanfootball said:

That's not the question. You said:

You were wrong. I showed you why you were wrong. Also Hill is a 1st. rd. pick while Pitre and Cine are 3rd./4th rd. picks.

Sort of. While I acknowledge that Hill the top of the three, I don't buy that the other two are that much lower. You showed Pitre as 4th round. 

In any event, I would not be looking to use #30 on Hill unless we were doing a major roster overhaul.