Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

I wrote earlier on the Chiefs need to draft defense often and early. Our offense is going to be good no matter.  Draft a few solid backups. Get one of the #2 receivers in free agency and the O will still be very good. We need a safety, CB, edge rusher and DL early in my opinion. Luckily there appears to be good depth in the draft to accomplish this. Solid D's win championships. 

33 minutes ago, KCsb said:

I wrote earlier on the Chiefs need to draft defense often and early. Our offense is going to be good no matter.  Draft a few solid backups. Get one of the #2 receivers in free agency and the O will still be very good. We need a safety, CB, edge rusher and DL early in my opinion. Luckily there appears to be good depth in the draft to accomplish this. Solid D's win championships. 

I mostly agree. But our current skill players are this:

RB: CEH

WR: Hill, Hardman, Kemp (if kept as RFA) + random futures/practice squad guys

TE: Kelce, Gray, Fortson(if kept as ERFA)

We need WR help and RB help still. It's a deep class for both so I think we'll come out ok.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

We need WR help and RB help still. It's a deep class for both so I think we'll come out ok.

I would guess we keep Kemp and Fortson.  I think those are guys who’s value us highest with our team.  I think we try to keep Williams, or McKinnon.  I also think we keep Pringle but I don’t think that precludes us from other draft/FA moves.

The big question of how aggressive we are to me is the defense.  I think we need to get aggressive at pass rusher, even more so now that Danger-Russ Wilson is in the division.  I don’t want to leave it all to the draft.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Due to his injury, tendering Fortson is unlikely. For him a reserve/future contract, again. They will almost certainly tender Kemp. 

Compared to 2021, this is not a great WR draft, it's but much better for TE and insanely deep at RB. We can probably get a 4th/5th grade RB in the 7th.

J

Kemp should be a UFA.   We don’t hold any rights to tender.   I doubt he’ll have a market though.  Maybe a Vet Min deal.

Fortsons just a ERFA.  The cost of them aren’t really enough to make a difference between letting him walk and bringing back when healthy.     If he was RFA I think that’d be the option 

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

Kemp should be a UFA.   We don’t hold any rights to tender.   I doubt he’ll have a market though.  Maybe a Vet Min deal.

Fortsons just a ERFA.  The cost of them aren’t really enough to make a difference between letting him walk and bringing back when healthy.     If he was RFA I think that’d be the option 

According to Sportrac, Kemp is an RFA with an $850K tender. 

I'll take your word on Fortson. he's been so loyal that the FO will give him the best option if all are roughly equal to the team. 

9 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

According to Sportrac, Kemp is an RFA with an $850K tender. 

I'll take your word on Fortson. he's been so loyal that the FO will give him the best option if all are roughly equal to the team. 

I’m not 100% sure on Kemp,  but pretty positive.    He has 4 seasons with over 6 games on the field.   That should accrue him veteran status.   I’m not 100% of if a player is elevated from PS to game day roster, if that still counts.   

But I’m almost positive he was a RFA last year,  part of the reason we let him walk untendered and sign back for cheaper.   He wouldn’t be a RFA two years in a row in a year after he dressed for 16 games.

Either way, his cap hit would be more than 850k for a RFA tender. That’s more like what an ERFA tender would cost. 

These would be options for Kemp, depending on if/when/how we could RFA Tag him.

• Right of First Refusal: $2,433,000
  • Original-Round Tender: $2,540,000
  • Second-Round Tender: $3,986,000
  • First-Round Tender: $5,432,000

2 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That's interesting but not really relevant. The published report from one of the accepted authorities is RFA with an $850K tender. If that was a possibility, I am sure that the FO would have preserved it.

J

That list of all possible RFA tender prices is from the same accepted authority site because I knew the was coming 😆 

I don’t care enough to split hairs on Kemp,   I think Spotrac just mistagged him because technically he was never a RFA.

All good, just thought I’d point out I don’t think he’s a RFA 

Wasn't the one in February a reserve/futures contract? 

In any event, Gordon is under contract for the season. It does give us another veteran WR in the mix. We just need to figure out what to do with him. Maybe a full offseason in a conditioning program and working on his fundamentals will help. I could seer him as the underneath/crossing receiver. 

J