Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

I'm lining up with a higher DP for WR. I don't think Gordon's signing is gonna do it. Let's face it. Our offense runs thru Kelce and Hill.  That's just not enough.

With R.Wilson in the division now, becoming more potent on offense is a priority. The other teams in our division have great QB's and fine offenses. This puts pressure on the Chiefs to remain at a high level on offense.

I was thinking we'd be ok grabbing a WR in round 3 or 4. Now I think we'll have to get one in round 2 or 3.

Defense is still my focus in the upcoming draft. I hope it continues to be so with the Chiefs FO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I'm lining up with a higher DP for WR. I don't think Gordon's signing is gonna do it. Let's face it. Our offense runs thru Kelce and Hill.  That's just not enough.

With R.Wilson in the division now, becoming more potent on offense is a priority. The other teams in our division have great QB's and fine offenses. This puts pressure on the Chiefs to remain at a high level on offense.

I was thinking we'd be ok grabbing a WR in round 3 or 4. Now I think we'll have to get one in round 2 or 3.

Defense is still my focus in the upcoming draft. I hope it continues to be so with the Chiefs FO.

I personally think we're gonna have to go with what Patty wants and get an established vet. Unless we take a WR that slips for some reason Im not sure there will be anyone that can come in year one and make an impact while learning the complexities of Andy's offense. 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Wasn't the one in February a reserve/futures contract? 

In any event, Gordon is under contract for the season. It does give us another veteran WR in the mix. We just need to figure out what to do with him. Maybe a full offseason in a conditioning program and working on his fundamentals will help. I could seer him as the underneath/crossing receiver. 

J

A reserve/futures contract is a full contract with an inherent delay when it becomes effective. That usually is the first day of the new league year. Otherwise any money changing hands would count against the old league year and, as the roster limitations on active players on the roster are still in effect, would require the release of other players.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

A reserve/futures contract is a full contract with an inherent delay when it becomes effective. That usually is the first day of the new league year. Otherwise any money changing hands would count against the old league year and, as the roster limitations on active players on the roster are still in effect, would require the release of other players.

Aren't R/F contracts temporary, expiring at the end of training camp? As I read it, there seems to be a nontrivial upgrade in contract status. 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Aren't R/F contracts temporary, expiring at the end of training camp? As I read it, there seems to be a nontrivial upgrade in contract status. 

Nope. May be they made that deal effective now for whatever reason. He was under contract before. Check the NFL transaction sheet for Feb 1 or 2.

I’m hoping with Gordon that he and Mahomes get in the same page with a full off season.  I feel like there was moments when Gordon was open and Pat just didn’t look that way.  Either way I’m due this is a small vet contract, for a guy who is very football savvy, and has been talked about highly everywhere he’s been.  If he can take care of the main issue hopefully he can contribute.

2 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Nope. May be they made that deal effective now for whatever reason. He was under contract before. Check the NFL transaction sheet for Feb 1 or 2.

We knew that there was a contract. The question is whether this an upgrade.

40 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I’m hoping with Gordon that he and Mahomes get in the same page with a full off season.  I feel like there was moments when Gordon was open and Pat just didn’t look that way.  Either way I’m due this is a small vet contract, for a guy who is very football savvy, and has been talked about highly everywhere he’s been.  If he can take care of the main issue hopefully he can contribute.

It was apparent that Gordon knew a lot of veteran stuff, but his cuts and hands were not up to the same level. With a full offseason to work on it, we can hope for better. Even though he's 30 years old, Gordon still has some speed. He could be a genuine replacement for Sammy Watkins.

14 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It was apparent that Gordon knew a lot of veteran stuff, but his cuts and hands were not up to the same level. With a full offseason to work on it, we can hope for better. Even though he's 30 years old, Gordon still has some speed. He could be a genuine replacement for Sammy Watkins.

As I said in an earlier post, I don’t think this really has any impact on our approach.  Perhaps makes it slightly less likely that we’d go after someone new and Pringle.  But again we saw last year with both guys on the roster that we could have used a solid number 2 WR.  To me, I think that’s the only person this MAY impact is Pringle.

Landon Collins got the boot from Wash after refusing a second paycut. There was some smoke regarding our interest in him the last time he was a FA iirc but he broke the bank and we got Honey Badger. More traditional box safety that liked to pop running backs but not much of a coverage guy, had a down year after tearing an Achilles the year before. I could possibly see him taking a 1 yr deal (28y/o) to rehab his image and get paid again.  🤷

52 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Landon Collins got the boot from Wash after refusing a second paycut. There was some smoke regarding our interest in him the last time he was a FA iirc but he broke the bank and we got Honey Badger. More traditional box safety that liked to pop running backs but not much of a coverage guy, had a down year after tearing an Achilles the year before. I could possibly see him taking a 1 yr deal (28y/o) to rehab his image and get paid again.  🤷

I like Collins, but he isn’t really what we need.  We could sign him to a 1 year deal but we’d still need a coverage Safety.  We saw this year what happened when one of our safeties couldn’t cover.  Now as a third safety in the box, love it, but he is probably too rich for that role.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:53 PM, RedGold said:

That list of all possible RFA tender prices is from the same accepted authority site because I knew the was coming 😆 

I don’t care enough to split hairs on Kemp,   I think Spotrac just mistagged him because technically he was never a RFA.

All good, just thought I’d point out I don’t think he’s a RFA 

Whether RFA or ERFA, the Chiefs are tendering. This article thinks that he's exclusive rights. Hopefully he's better next season. He was never 100% in 2021.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/3/10/22970868/chiefs-deandre-baker-an-exclusive-rights-free-agent-for-2022

This is a list of possible FA WR. I lke Allen Robinson for us. He has never had either a good QB or any system continuity so he may come cheaply.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/3/10/22970238/5-free-agent-wide-receivers-to-watch-for-the-chiefs

Edited by onejayhawk

4 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I like Collins, but he isn’t really what we need.  We could sign him to a 1 year deal but we’d still need a coverage Safety.  We saw this year what happened when one of our safeties couldn’t cover.  Now as a third safety in the box, love it, but he is probably too rich for that role.

I was thinking Thorny would be more of that coverage safety if HB takes off and I'd rather Collins come downhill on a RB instead of Dan Sorensen but yeah you're probably right: too much coin for what we'd use him for.