Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'm becoming more convinced after all these signings, KC is going to make a splash via the Draft. Veach is planning to combine 2 or more picks to move up. I suspect Round 1. Probably to grab a favorite WR, but maybe Edge. No proof mind you, just a strong hunch.

I was kind of feeling the opposite, that they are getting the pieces in place so that they can fill their team with talent rather than absolutely needing to draft X position.  I’m in the camp of keeping our picks, especially in this draft because unless we go WAY WAY up, I think there’s comparable talent.  As PM2’s contact escalates we’re going to need Rookie value contacts.  So in a year where the talent is deep in tons 2-3 I don’t want to miss chances.

9 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I was kind of feeling the opposite, that they are getting the pieces in place so that they can fill their team with talent rather than absolutely needing to draft X position.  I’m in the camp of keeping our picks, especially in this draft because unless we go WAY WAY up, I think there’s comparable talent.  As PM2’s contact escalates we’re going to need Rookie value contacts.  So in a year where the talent is deep in tons 2-3 I don’t want to miss chances.

Interesting that I read on NFL.com the Chiefs pick at #21 for Jameson Williams, WR. Trade with NE Patriots.

Just now, mayanfootball said:

Interesting that I read on NFL.com the Chiefs pick at #21 for Jameson Williams, WR. Trade with NE Patriots.

Yeah, all depends on where the picks fall I guess.  WRs start going early and then things get interesting.

But I think that’s why again we’re making multiple moves.

8 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

This many picks is actually too many. We cannot accommodate that many new players. So, you make moves for higher value picks or target players.

J

That's not true.

Just use the 4 seventh rounders to make sure you getv the high priority UDFA - and that for 4 instead of 3 years  ... and the Chiefs are down to what ... 8 picks?

Looking into the future and the short term contracts they have on roll call right now  .. they may need those.

10 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

That's not true.

Just use the 4 seventh rounders to make sure you getv the high priority UDFA - and that for 4 instead of 3 years  ... and the Chiefs are down to what ... 8 picks?

Looking into the future and the short term contracts they have on roll call right now  .. they may need those.

Damone Clark is likely to miss the year after spinal surgery but should have no lasting issues.  If he’s available late rounds I’m picking him up and shelving him.

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

That's not true.

Eight new players is too many to assimilate with any continuity. If you are going in with the expectation that some will not make the team or in a full rebuild, than that's different. For us, i consider them trade bait, eg with the Giants for Bradberry.

The 7th rounders can be offered PS spots if they don't make the roster. Players drafted in the first two days would not clear waivers. 

Edited by onejayhawk

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Eight new players is too many to assimilate with any continuity. If you are going in with the expectation that some will not make the team or in a full rebuild, than that's different. For us, i consider them trade bait, eg with the Giants for Bradberry.

The 7th rounders can be offered PS spots if they don't make the roster. Players drafted in the first two days would not clear waivers. 

nope, but there is ample room to accomodate those rd 1-3 picks - if they are able to kick some fringe veterans of the roster. If not  .. you have to make a choice. Keep them for a year ... perhaps on fake IR ... or let them go. Ultimately: well .. Keivarae Russell comes to mind.

If 8 new rookies is too many..  you need a new coaching staff.   8-9 every year is pretty common.  It just looks odd because we have been on a low side of picks for the last 5 years.     I don’t expect 11/12 rookies to make the 53,  but I also don’t expect a 100% hit rate of making the 53 with any amount of picks. 

2 minutes ago, RedGold said:

If 8 new rookies is too many..  you need a new coaching staff.   8-9 every year is pretty common.  It just looks odd because we have been on a low side of picks for the last 5 years.     I don’t expect 11/12 rookies to make the 53,  but I also don’t expect a 100% hit rate of making the 53 with any amount of picks. 

8-9 new players, yes, but we already have Elijah Lee, Geron Christian, JuJU, MVS, Justin Reid, Ronald Jones. Eight more on top of that is too much to work in smoothly and we are not in a position to take a whole year to sort things. 

J

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

8-9 new players, yes, but we already have Elijah Lee, Geron Christian, JuJU, MVS, Justin Reid, Ronald Jones. Eight more on top of that is too much to work in smoothly and we are not in a position to take a whole year to sort things. 

J

All but 3 of those are role players, that can be brought along slowly over the course of the year.   Why are we not in a position to build the middle of the roster?  It’s been avoided for 3+ years.   We don’t need all these guys to be contributing as starters, but they can be groomed in a reserve role.  

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

The more I hear about RoJo the more i feel lime he doesnt fit

cant catch, cant block, needs carries to get into a groove.

hes like a taller version of Clyde 😂

Meh, he’s got 2 years with over 40 catches.  I’ll be interested to see how he plays in a new setting. Either way it’s not like we’ve put big money into him, we didn’t trade premium picks for him like we’d need to for Saquon or CMC.

26 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Meh, he’s got 2 years with over 40 catches.  I’ll be interested to see how he plays in a new setting. Either way it’s not like we’ve put big money into him, we didn’t trade premium picks for him like we’d need to for Saquon or CMC.

Just interesting that we make all these moves to be a good running team and then dont actually utilize it. 

Hopefully Rojo can help us with the tough yards, heard hes a speed back that can bring it downhill