Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Not exactly. Gay and Bolton will replace a lot of the snaps, but we still need more players. Carter is a warm body. Get three or four more and we can sort it out. 

I said well likely look at more players…

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Anthony Hitchens was #2 on the team in total tackles last year with 81 and he is not there anymore.  And he was 1st on the team in tackles 2019 and 2nd in 2020, Ben Niemann had 40 or so total tackles and he is not there anymore either.  

LB is a need but sure DE and CB will be addressed before it, possibly two CBs could be picked in the first two rounds.  

Chiefs run a really light snap count at LB. ~2200 snaps for the entire unit. The Panthers, for reference, where Carter is coming from, hit 2500 snaps just from their top 3 LBs. Almost 3000 total. We use both our 3rd safety and our 3rd corner far more than our 3rd LB. That third LB spot is not particularly important the way Spags runs his current defense. Even if Carter has to be our third LB, he may well only see 300 or 400 snaps, depending on how many Lee takes. You can get 2200 snaps out of Bolton, Gay, Carter, and Lee, if need be. Though it'd hurt if one of the top two got hurt, for sure. I don't think they invest heavily in the position beyond what they have, though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Chiefs run a really light snap count at LB. ~2200 snaps for the entire unit. The Panthers, for reference, where Carter is coming from, hit 2500 snaps just from their top 3 LBs. Almost 3000 total. We use both our 3rd safety and our 3rd corner far more than our 3rd LB. That third LB spot is not particularly important the way Spags runs his current defense. Even if Carter has to be our third LB, he may well only see 300 or 400 snaps, depending on how many Lee takes. You can get 2200 snaps out of Bolton, Gay, Carter, and Lee, if need be. Though it'd hurt if one of the top two got hurt, for sure. I don't think they invest heavily in the position beyond what they have, though.

The light snap count could be a reflection of the quality of available personnel. We have not had any LB who excelled at coverage since DJ retired. Gay might become that with experience. Still, it's true that we line up 4-2 much more than 4-3.

If you go by the traditional trade value chart our two first round picks would be close to #8. There are potentially players available there that I would trade both picks to get. If you use both firsts and #50, then you can get close to #3. That's about as high as is practical.

Looking at other combinations, #29 + #50 is worth about #15, #50 + #62 is worth #28, which would give us three picks in a row.
https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp?RequestTeam=kc

Edited by onejayhawk

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I wouldn't be happy with this

Edit: Now if Thibs or Hutch somehow fell, I'd think long and hard about it. Picks 29+30+62 could get us pick 7+147 and maybe a swap of 6ths from the Giants.

I just don’t see the juice being worth the squeeze to trade up that high.  None of these receivers are Calvin Johnson your players.  Now if it was moving up utilizing one of the firsts and some fluff to go after a guy dropping that’s one thing.  But if we’re going to trade the high end value capital we got from the Ty trade, we’ve left ourselves in a rough situation.  We’re saving money, but hoping we get a player that contributes immediately.  Odds are much better when taking 3 players than taking 1.

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

We had Devonte Wyatt and George Pickens in for visits

we usually draft at least one of the players we bring in for interviews

I wouldn't mind Pickens at 50. I just can't get behind the Georgia DL though. Still nervous of whether we'd get a Sims or Peppers.

Edited by kingseanjohn

4 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I just don’t see the juice being worth the squeeze to trade up that high.  None of these receivers are Calvin Johnson your players.  Now if it was moving up utilizing one of the firsts and some fluff to go after a guy dropping that’s one thing.  But if we’re going to trade the high end value capital we got from the Ty trade, we’ve left ourselves in a rough situation.  We’re saving money, but hoping we get a player that contributes immediately.  Odds are much better when taking 3 players than taking 1.

I agree that it's unlikely as it is being reported. However, I can completely see them trading into the top 10 for DL particularly DE.

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

We had Devonte Wyatt and George Pickens in for visits

we usually draft at least one of the players we bring in for interviews

I would be more interested in Jordan Davis than Wyatt.

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

I wouldn't mind Pickens at 50. I just can't get behind the Georgia DL though. Still nervous of whether we'd get a Sims or Peppers.

With Davis you are hoping for Wilfork not Peppers. DT is notoriously hard to draft effectively.

24 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

With Davis you are hoping for Wilfork not Peppers. DT is notoriously hard to draft effectively.

I'm pretty sure he means,  that it's hard to evaluate top guys when they play next to each other.   Very rarely are both guys just that talented.   Are you getting the Peppers of the UNC DL,  or the Ryan Sims of the UNC DL.    Similar to Manny Lawson, John McCargo, Mario Williams.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Agreed with who you're hoping for. I was more referring to an elite talent elevating those around them and making them look better than they really are. Would we be getting the elite guy or the one propped up.

28 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think Wyatt has a greater chance for success with his stamina. Ive found that the more snaps a DT has in college, higher chances he can hit the ground running in a more demanding NFL.

Never know though, but it helps hes an athletic freak. I dont think sims was at all he skipped basically all events

5 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I think Wyatt has a greater chance for success with his stamina. Ive found that the more snaps a DT has in college, higher chances he can hit the ground running in a more demanding NFL.

Never know though, but it helps hes an athletic freak. I dont think sims was at all he skipped basically all events

I admit, I haven't watched his tape and I probably won't unless we select him. Looking at his numbers, I never saw a reason to. His stat line alone reads as a 3rd rounder at best imo.

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I admit, I haven't watched his tape and I probably won't unless we select him. Looking at his numbers, I never saw a reason to. His stat line alone reads as a 3rd rounder at best imo.

Its a DT so looking at stat lines is a little silly lol

Than by that standard, Chris Jones or Jeffrey Simmons arent worth a 1st round pick. They had nearly identical stats their final years of college

Edited by Chiefer